P1000m5 2019 HP1K5 overheat issue

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
By fishin, i mean looking for more options than doing the simple things first.
Ive said this many times on threads. Like I tell my apprentices, dont go in to a no heat or no cool thinking its the most difficult complex thing causing your problem before you check off all the “easy stupid couldnt possibly be” stuff or you will kick yourself in the ass when u waisted all that time just to find out it was a simple 15-30 min job thats commonly overlooked.
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you ever had the coolant boil out of the reservoir or have you ever had a overheating issue prior to this? If the answer is no, 100 bucks says it's mud you can't see inside the fins. I ran that same bumper for years, and I'm always riding with a heavy load lol. Every single time that my machine was starting to run above 2 bars, it was mud in the radiator. You have to have clean water going through the fins when washing it out or it’s not actually clean. The only time I had to burp mine was after my first overheating issue due to the fan not coming on and it boiled out coolant.
I haven’t had the coolant boil out on this machine. I’ll clean the radiator out over the weekend. Hopefully I can get out for a day ride to test it.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I haven’t had the coolant boil out on this machine. I’ll clean the radiator out over the weekend. Hopefully I can get out for a day ride to test it.
If your gonna do that this weekend, if your by the rig today or tomorrow.
Good time to spray the $hit out of that radiator in all 4 corners with a good degreaser or cleaner and let the thing sit there,soak and do its magic for a few days. Best thing you can do. You'll be amazed what will wash out.

Reactions: toddvdh
FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your gonna do that this weekend, if your by the rig today or tomorrow.
Good time to spray the $hit out of that radiator in all 4 corners with a good degreaser or cleaner and let the thing sit there,soak and do its magic for a few days. Best thing you can do. You'll be amazed what will wash out.
I use Zep Purple Degreaser at work, is that too harsh for the aluminum or should I dilute it?

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I use Zep Purple Degreaser at work, is that too harsh for the aluminum or should I dilute it?
Should be ok. We use acid on evap and condenser coils and there more delicate than a radiator.

Reactions: FL_CrackerLife
FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here’s a picture of the “Radiator Genie”

IMG 9447

Reactions: ChadD
FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What year is yours?
My similar setup has been through it all, I have never overheated and even have the "slasher" covered on mine.

Have you done the steep incline burp?
Run it up a hill or winch the front up very high and let it idle for a bit. Leave the radiator cap on as it needs pressure to not boil over at temp.

I still find it odd that some will overheat quickly while others are fine.
How steep does the buggy need to be?
I just spent the last 3 hours cleaning the buggy and flushing the radiator.
I made sure all the radiator hoses were clean and clear of any debris or mud around them. I went the extra distance to clean under the front seat and heat flap, in the engine compartment.
IMG 9478
IMG 9479
IMG 9480
IMG 9481
IMG 9482

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did notice that the fluid in the radiator bottle is Level at H, but after running or when the engine is at temperature, it’s about 1 inch over H. Not sure why, or if it should suck it down. I haven’t added any water to the system.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah... Waaaay higher! Here's a couple tips... With the machine on level ground, get it fully up to operating temperature so your thermostat is open. Then while idling, hoist it up to about a 70 degree (or more) angle and idle it for just about 15 seconds at that angle. You don't want to run it much more than that at a nearly upright angle because of potential oil starvation. OTOH...I've changed the coolant on my 2016 a couple times and I just followed the recommended procedure of opening the bleeder screw on top of the housing and I always got all the air out that way. I've never raised my front end and I've never had an overheat. If you look at where the bleeder screw is in relation to how low the hoses are, you'll see how much you have to tilt it to get the air pocket out! I personally wouldn't do it that way, but others have had good results. Keep us posted!

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh no.
Like 4 time higher than that.
You did steeper stuff than that at the takeover.
Have to find a steep ditch, tractor, ramps.. something.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I’ll have to take it to work, I have ways to get it higher there, at home it’s as high as it’s gonna get.

Reactions: Smitty335
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
hi -before we get all nuts crazy here;

-do you think the radiator was plugged some and got crud out ?

-u can use the bleeder at the housing in lieu of the sxs looking like it’s ready to get skinned - both methods work

have u tried it?

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
hi -before we get all nuts crazy here;

-do you think the radiator was plugged some and got crud out ?

-u can use the bleeder at the housing in lieu of the sxs looking like it’s ready to get skinned - both methods work

have u tried it?
I did flush the radiator fins both ways for good measure. I do believe there was mud in there, I can now see thru the entire radiator. I haven’t tried the bleeder yet.
That may be an easier option though, instead of running the risk of ripping off my bumper.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I did flush the radiator fins both ways for good measure. I do believe there was mud in there, I can now see thru the entire radiator. I haven’t tried the bleeder yet.
That may be an easier option though, instead of running the risk of ripping off my bumper.
hanging it like a deer is fine but the bleeders are there for a reason - if u can see thru it now it was probably crudded up

good luck

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@Pilgrim had chronic over heating issues on his P1, maybe he'll chime in?

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bled the system at the bleeder above the thermostat this afternoon. I was about ready to take the whole seat apart to get to it, but a quick call to @knuckledeep and he set me on an easier course. I popped some quick clips and lifted the plastic up behind the seat. After getting the buggy to operating temperature, I cracked open the bleeder and let it bubble till solid coolant came through, the manual stated to rev the engine a few times to ensure that the system is air free. Now to try it out. Luckily, it’s fairly easy to get to if needed again.
IMG 9485

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!