P700 2017 Pioneer 700-4 upgrades?

W

WindShear34

Jul 9, 2024
Muskegon MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey all I bought a 2017 pioneer 700-4 last year and my overall impression are.... Meh it's kinda mediocre in my opinion for what I use it for.

My regular use case is just trail riding with the wife and dogs and occasionally some buddies that ride in the back seats.

What I like about it is the suspension and the back seat/dump box.

But I have more qualms with it than likes so I was wondering if there's anything I can do to help the issues.

1. The noise, this thing is loud, so much louder than my parents polaris ranger. Is there anyway to make it quieter? I've read into things like the silent rider but can't find any good real world reviews for it. Or maybe there's some high temp sound proofing material I can out somewhere?

2. The top speed. I really didn't think this was going to be an issue but it really just feels like it should go faster. Especially with how loud it gets near it's top end I normally only ever get it up to like 30-35mph. Is there anything that can be done besides getting bigger tires? Maybe change the gear ratio in the rear end or transmission?

3. I wish this machine had an open diff rear end. Loading and unloading it onto my trailer I'm always tearing up my lawn with it. And I don't want to load it on asphalt or concrete because I know that's rough on it. Is there maybe an open diff replacement?

4. The transmission, I really liked the thought of an automatic transmission over the cvt that the ranger uses. But the issue is this trans is just so frigging slow laggy and sloppy. Are there any upgrades that can be done here?

As much as I'd like to sell it and get something else the wife like the machine and doesn't want anything else so I'm stuck with this. Just looking for someway to make it better.

Thanks in advance!

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I bought a 2017 pioneer 700-4
Welcome fellow Michigander and Big Gretch suffere!
First thing is first before we go through your book of questions…
When u first join/post must provide pics of the rig! Its Rule#4
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!😉

W

WindShear34

Jul 9, 2024
Muskegon MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome fellow Michigander and Big Gretch suffere!
First thing is first before we go through your book of questions…
When u first join/post must provide pics of the rig! Its Rule#4
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!😉
IMG 2356
IMG 2354
IMG 2354

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
4. The transmission, I really liked the thought of an automatic transmission over the cvt that the ranger uses. But the issue is this trans is just so frigging slow laggy and sloppy. Are there any upgrades that can be done here?
We refer to Polaris's as Poo Poo’s here! Lol
As for the Transmission, its P7 the best upgrade that will change pretty much all your concerns are what most folks end up doing when they are dissatisfied with the P7 and thats upgrade to a P1. They are night and Day. Always drive both before a purchase.
When I bought my P1 I drove a P7 first. Was Blown away at the difference between the 2.
A P7 has its place and many like it. But you have a single cylinder, different HP and gear set your dealing with. No different from going from a P5 to a P7. You see the trend here?

Reactions: Farmer and Buggyman
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
3. I wish this machine had an open diff rear end.
P7’s have never had one. Again, P1 has the things your wishing the P7 doesn't have.
Use the search up top with your questions and you will see the same answers.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
1. The noise, this thing is loud, so much louder than my parents polaris ranger. Is there anyway to make it quieter? I've read into things like the silent rider but can't find any good real world reviews for it. Or maybe there's some high temp sound proofing material I can out somewhere?
The toe on the front end is what he's talking about. I can help with one of the issues.

W

WindShear34

Jul 9, 2024
Muskegon MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
The toe on the front end is what he's talking about. I can help with one of the issues.

Could just be the angle or the tires. The previous owner did a lot of road riding so the drivers side treads worn about twice as much as the passenger side. I have since replaced the tires but I suppose it's possible the toe is out. Can't say as I've noticed pulling to one side or uneven steering but also hard to tell on trails with no power steering.

advertisement
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Order yourself a Quick Shield for a P1K, then take the P7 to Babbits and trade it in on a Pioneer 1000-5. You'll be much happier and so will your wife, they are much quieter, ride better, more power and are easier to drive. You can thank me later.

W

WindShear34

Jul 9, 2024
Muskegon MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Order yourself a Quick Shield for a P1K, then take the P7 to Babbits and trade it in on a Pioneer 1000-5. You'll be much happier and so will your wife, they are much quieter, ride better, more power and are easier to drive. You can thank me later.
As much as I'd like to trade it in I really don't want to have to deal with having a loan. I bought this with cash and really don't want loans and insurance.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
There really isn't anything to be done to increase power or speed. The P7 powertrain is a bit of an odd duck, durable but odd for the powersport world. It uses an automotive style transmission with a torque convertor just like your car/truck so some of the power is lost in slippage inside the convertor, unlike the P5 or P1K with a clutch & gears. There are no options for swapping ring/pinion gears and if there were you'd have to do both front and rear. A Quickshield will help with the heat and noise but it's still gonna be loud & slow. The Silent Rider exhaust will cut the exhaust noise but it also cuts the power by restricting the exhaust, I'd stay away from that.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As much as I'd like to trade it in I really don't want to have to deal with having a loan. I bought this with cash and really don't want loans and insurance.
Me and my wife are the same way. Try to pay cash for anything we can. We started out with a 700-4 and then upgraded to a 1000-5 a few years ago. If you and your wife have never been in a 1000 y'all need to try one out. My wife is much happier with the 1000 over the 700. Save up some coins and go get one within a couple years. You won't regret it

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You should get insurance on the one you have.
You can sell the one you have and If u look hard enough (NoHmo) you can find late model P1’s for dame near close to what you got out of that. Or as they say…Suck it up Buttercup and accept what you have for
What it is.

W

WindShear34

Jul 9, 2024
Muskegon MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
You should get insurance on the one you have.
You can sell the one you have and If u look hard enough (NoHmo) you can find late model P1’s for dame near close to what you got out of that. Or as they say…Suck it up Buttercup and accept what you have for
What it is.
I did some digging to see that the p1 goes for used and they're all floating around 18-20k. Judging by what people are selling the p7 for i would be lucky to get like 10-12.

But yeah I'm thinking probably stuck with this for the foreseeable future. Look into some sound proofing and whatnot for it at least.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I did some digging to see that the p1 goes for used and they're all floating around 18-20k. Judging by what people are selling the p7 for i would be lucky to get like 10-12.

But yeah I'm thinking probably stuck with this for the foreseeable future. Look into some sound proofing and whatnot for it at least.
Just got to be persistent in your search. Where theres a will theres a way you just have to go get it!
Now, if you listen to our LibTard Governor she wants to believe like many radicals that someone will do it for you!
Thats a big Negative

advertisement