Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Steep downhill, engine braking in 2nd gear. First trail ride. Sweet! By the way, is a 2500 lb winch big enough? Already have one with wireless remote. Guess I could always use a snatch block if not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Steep downhill, engine braking in 2nd gear. First trail ride. Sweet! By the way, is a 2500 lb winch big enough? Already have one with wireless remote. Guess I could always use a snatch block if not.
If you had to buy one, I'd go bigger, just because, but sense you have one, I'd use it, you'll probably be fine, almost certainly with a snatch block. Normally steepness of hills isn't too discernible in pics and videos, but I can see the steepness in that so I know you were going down a fun one there!

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
1100 lb maching so 2500lb winch should be fine. If buying new I would go 3500 but if you have it use it until it breaks. I also like the wireless control, very handy.

I bought an aluminum snatch block and carabiner for climbing, weighs next to nothing and makes rigging a breeze.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1100 lb maching so 2500lb winch should be fine. If buying new I would go 3500 but if you have it use it until it breaks. I also like the wireless control, very handy.

I bought an aluminum snatch block and carabiner for climbing, weighs next to nothing and makes rigging a breeze.

I have stalled a 4500lb doubled with a snatch block. Took a second machine with another 4500lb doubled to get a 1700lb machine free from the thick clay.

Mud holds on to ya. It's not just rolling the machine you may have 5000lbs of mud that doesn't want to move in the way of the direction of pull.

Climbing gear is made for a short dynamic shock load. It's not engineered for a static pull. Steel is going to be your most economic option in that regard.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Tractor Supply and Harbour Freight have some inexpensive choices for a smaller snatch block. After years of winching with a FJ40, tree strap, extra shackles and a snatch block should be standard cargo.

IMG 3755

Reactions: ohanacreek
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I am typically pulling up steep hills where traction is issue and not buried in mud, have a steel snatch block but aluminum rescue pulley has held up very well. Or using it to drag a deer out of a hollow.

Before I had my winch used my Honda Rancher with a 2000 lb winch to turn it back upright and pull it up a steep incline. Had to anchor Rancher to tree. Hydraulic locked up the P500 as it filled intake with oil when on its side. Once on flat ground got I cleaned out and drove it home.

If hard core riding where you know you will be using winch often I agree, go with steel. If for emergencies or the occasional winching the rescue pulley works great and minimal weight.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
strap, rope, 2 aluminum rescue pulleys and 3 carabiners in P500. steel snatch block, 2 straps, 3 d rings in 4Runner.

hope to only use P500 supplies for dragging and hanging deer, and occasional ugh oh getting stuck.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
strap, rope, 2 aluminum rescue pulleys and 3 carabiners in P500. steel snatch block, 2 straps, 3 d rings in 4Runner.

hope to only use P500 supplies for dragging and hanging deer, and occasional ugh oh getting stuck.
KYhillbilly, what kind of box on your machine? How amounted? picture?

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
it is an aluminum Yamaha golf cart bed. I mounted it by drilling holes on each side of the rack flat bars then put a metal tab under the flat rack bar and bolted. Covered metal bar or tab and rack with foam weatherstripping to prevent vibration and scratching of the rack. Tried to get one of the plastic beds that goes on a landmaster UTV but shipping was more than the bed.

Reactions: Mudder
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have you used the automatic going down that same hill?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!