ukrkoz

Dec 23, 2018
PacNW
Ownership

1. 500
Hi all

I am considering this

https://www.hinshawsmotorcyclestore....=xNewInventory

I test drove it today. I do not understand something. It kicks like a mule, with loud bang, every time it shifts gears, matter not in Auto or in Manual mode.
Sales guy told me "it's just new". That's what his techs told him. When inquired, he also told me they been selling those since 2014 and didn't even have one come back for repairs yet.
Video reviews show same - harsh shifting with loud bang.

So what is that I am missing? Does it go away in few weeks or something? I'd like to have side by side, that's about right price range. I'd rather not go with quad. I am worried about such harsh shifting though

What do you say?

U

ukrkoz

Dec 23, 2018
PacNW
Ownership

1. 500
Ah yes, indeed. Like this one:

P500 - Got a dumb question to ask.....

Interesting... That's quite a difference from my Foreman 500. That one has no shifting points. Just goes.

Ok, then question number 2.

Will switch to synthetic oil and clutch adjustment done right away help? Or, it simply needs to be beat up some and THEN?

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Mine improved after 50 miles or so. I used normal HONDA oil for the first change and it improved again (or maybe I'm just getting used to it). BTW, welcome to HSxS

R

Rustell

Welcome to the forum. It's normal... I believe it's more the mechanism thats shifts the gears than the gears themselves.

U

ukrkoz

Dec 23, 2018
PacNW
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you. Haven't bought it yet. Sunday. I was totally thrown away from it by the way it shifts. しんじられない shinjirarenai

But, apparently, that's how mighty Honda made them to actually no problems down the road. I am in debate between side by side and quad. Property use only. I lean towards side by side though.. seating, 2nd seat, overall car similarity. Maybe my DW will actually decide to use it.
Dealer has 2 of them. I'll drive both, will take one that kicks less. If any.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you. Haven't bought it yet. Sunday. I was totally thrown away from it by the way it shifts. しんじられない shinjirarenai

But, apparently, that's how mighty Honda made them to actually no problems down the road. I am in debate between side by side and quad. Property use only. I lean towards side by side though.. seating, 2nd seat, overall car similarity. Maybe my DW will actually decide to use it.
Dealer has 2 of them. I'll drive both, will take one that kicks less. If any.
Mine was the same when new,miles and an easy to do clutch adjustment did the trick.

Reactions: Mudder
ShotgunClay

ShotgunClay

Mar 13, 2018
Founders Ranch New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
I run mine entirely in manual mode. Getting nice smooth shifts up and down was a bit of a learning curve, but since I use it 5 days a week, it's now second nature. One guy I gave a ride to said "This shifts smoother than my Audi".

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
I run mine entirely in manual mode. Getting nice smooth shifts up and down was a bit of a learning curve, but since I use it 5 days a week, it's now second nature. One guy I gave a ride to said "This shifts smoother than my Audi".
I never use auto either.

advertisement
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
In my opinion, there is simply no comparison between ATV and UTV in terms of utility. I have owned Ranchers/Foremans, etc., and nothing works as well as these little Sxs units when it comes to utility plus you can bring someone along easily/safely as well as a bed full of stuff (I have included a couple pics below for you).

As for shifting, you have the answer above, so just run it and change the oil when recommended. At about 300-500 miles it will begin shifting like butter. I do not believe you can put synthetic in the machine new and expect the "clunky" shifting to go away, so run it with the proper break in oil as recommended by Honda and just know it will get better. These little guys are as tough as an anvil.

Pioneer at range
IMG 3694

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine did the same thing, buy it, drive it until break-in is reached and then adjust the clutch...it will be fine. I would rather it grab gears hard when the skinny pedal is on the floor than it be ultra smooth and burning up the clutch.

M

Mike Martsolf

Apr 20, 2015
elko, Nevada
Ownership

1. 500
I have had our P5 since January of 2015. Mine is a full manual...there is a learning curve! Now 5k in mileage and only once in a while do I get the rough shift. The wife laughs and tells me not to be impatient. Not one trans issue always service at 500 miles with Honda oil & filters. Good luck and have fun

DFABane

DFABane

Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Hi all

I am considering this

https://www.hinshawsmotorcyclestore....=xNewInventory

I test drove it today. I do not understand something. It kicks like a mule, with loud bang, every time it shifts gears, matter not in Auto or in Manual mode.
Sales guy told me "it's just new". That's what his techs told him. When inquired, he also told me they been selling those since 2014 and didn't even have one come back for repairs yet.
Video reviews show same - harsh shifting with loud bang.

So what is that I am missing? Does it go away in few weeks or something? I'd like to have side by side, that's about right price range. I'd rather not go with quad. I am worried about such harsh shifting though

What do you say?
One thing you need to do is make sure that you are steady on the gas... If you let up anticipating that clunk it will be worse... Ignore it an soon you will get used to it... Enjoy your P500... So far mine has been trouble free... I have even taken to driving it to work... 11 miles one way in 29* weather... It's awesome and gives me the air theropy I need in the winter and I can't drive my Gold Wing.... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

865Pioneer500

865Pioneer500

Jul 5, 2018
Corryton, TN
Ownership

1. 500
My 2018 shifted horrible when new. Now, after a little over 100 miles, some clutch adjustment, and a oil change to honda synthetic, it's much smoother and quieter. I also went to thicker gear lube if the diffs, which reduced the gear noise quite a bit.

Reactions: trigger and Mudder
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I've got almost 200 miles on my 2018 now, and it HAS gotten smoother/quieter a tad, but in general I've gotten better at shifting, and I've gotten used to how it is.

Reactions: 70Bones
LeoMachus

LeoMachus

Aug 23, 2018
Baton Rouge
Ownership

1. 500
Mine is a 2018 and it shifts hard in auto and stays way to long in second gear. So Im always in manual. Im going to do that reverse cable adjustment so I dont have to pull that darn lever to go in reverse.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!