P1000 2018 Pioneer 1000 Clutch Questions

J

jaredss98

Feb 2, 2021
Louisville, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So we bought a used pioneer. Had somewhere near 130 hours on it. Looked real nice and like a decent machine... But investigating a knocking noise led us into the engine and it had to be rebuilt. Looked like the previous owner submerged it. Anyway, engine is now running tops. Since we bought it, it doesn't seem to start off and shift quite right. Fair amount of slippage. And has only gotten worse, today we started it, put in in high, push the gas, rpms rise, but the clutch or whatever then finally engages, and engages so hard that it stalls the engine... Tried to do several clutch calibration things (gas pedal 3 times and park to low twice and release gas pedal) but they would never finish successfully. When we first bought it I did several successfully. But didnt seem to improve the shifting 100%. So this evening I tore into the transmission expecting to find a black clutch pack. No such luck... Both clutches are the normal color. Using a dial-a-matic the back (even gear) one is on the edge of spec (.035) while the front (odd gear, reverse) is over at .045.

Is that my issue? A lil test drive before tear down showed that ALL gears slipped with the odd maybe a lil more. Couldn't really tell tho...

Have used recommend wet clutch oil.

Just farm use. Hasn't ever been stuck since we bought it. Don't really think the 4x4 has hardly been used.

Have ordered a clutch and orings... Is there anything wrong with replacing the clutch pads only? For about a third of the price, looks like you just pop a snap right and swap out?

Also the bearing that is on the clutch cover, stayed on the outer clutch gear. The inner race turns on the gear (I'll try to attach a video). This shouldn't be?

Also some grind marks on the outer clutch...

I guess I'm doubting that one clutch will fix everything? Welcoming all help...

Video link- New video by Jared Schneider

Screenshot 20211103 212211 IMG 20211103 191220227 IMG 20211103 191226029 HDR

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@HondaTech or @CumminsPusher any insight into what may be going on with this issue?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’d use the complete basket just in case steels or basket bad and obviously set correctly.
Curious if up to temp or cold acted any different?

Reactions: Lady01
J

jaredss98

Feb 2, 2021
Louisville, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had a similar issue with a submerged unit, our DSM advised us to replace both clutches due to water contamination.

Assuming the engine was cleaned thoroughly?
Had a local guy who used to be the head tech at a nearby Chevy dealer rebuild it. And yes he cleaned it thoroughly, and we changed oil once or twice within 10 Hrs. He said he found some sandy mush inside... Maybe it's ate through some O-rings and not letting pressure build enough? We haven't changed oil since, since we're just now up to the service interval. Sounds like I should just go ahead and replace both packs? Or what do y'all think with the one on the edge of spec.

J

jaredss98

Feb 2, 2021
Louisville, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’d use the complete basket just in case steels or basket bad and obviously set correctly.
Curious if up to temp or cold acted any different?
Couldnt tell much of a difference, I was curious the same. Sometimes you would start it up it would act fine. Starting from stopped was smooth. And other times it would hesitate and then lurch after the RPM's would rise. Could it possibly be the oil filter was getting to clogged that it couldn't build pressure fast enough? Doesn't hardly seem.

J

jaredss98

Feb 2, 2021
Louisville, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Only difference was it would shift pretty good if you were getting on it. Just easing around it would slip worse. Getting on it, the shifting would usually improve. Anyway, two new clutches ordered and O-rings. Will update later.

J

jaredss98

Feb 2, 2021
Louisville, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
After some shipping struggles, clutches are suppose to be here by the weekend. Hoping to put it back together then. Do I need to rinse the valve body? How important is it? I'm just kinda worried about messing something up.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
After some shipping struggles, clutches are suppose to be here by the weekend. Hoping to put it back together then. Do I need to rinse the valve body? How important is it? I'm just kinda worried about messing something up.
Just like your Mom asked, did you wash behind your ears?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If the valve body wasnt cleaned previously then it needs to be gone through. Water and clutch debris always seems to settle in the valve body and oil tank areas.
Ya forgot this was water issue.

J

jaredss98

Feb 2, 2021
Louisville, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Update. Cleaned the valve body, glad I did. Was lots of gray stuff settled in there... Finally got all the parts in and got her buttoned up. Had a time getting them plastic split rings to do right. Messed up some new ones... Anyway... Back together and now it won't successfully do a relearn. I have tried and tried unsuccessfully. It starts the relearn fine and after I start it the dash blinks right for about a minute and then blinks fast. In a Honda video I seen they say to reset the (ECM?) (ECU?)? Can this be done without going to a dealer? We have tried unhooking the battery for several hours... No luck. It drives o.k. just hesitates and jerks. Definitely needs to have the relearn done.

H

HondaTech

Sounds like you have a split ring still knicked or something.

When installing them i use grease to hold them down, oil is too slick.

Cajun-Abear

Cajun-Abear

Supporting Member
Dec 20, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update. Cleaned the valve body, glad I did. Was lots of gray stuff settled in there... Finally got all the parts in and got her buttoned up. Had a time getting them plastic split rings to do right. Messed up some new ones... Anyway... Back together and now it won't successfully do a relearn. I have tried and tried unsuccessfully. It starts the relearn fine and after I start it the dash blinks right for about a minute and then blinks fast. In a Honda video I seen they say to reset the (ECM?) (ECU?)? Can this be done without going to a dealer? We have tried unhooking the battery for several hours... No luck. It drives o.k. just hesitates and jerks. Definitely needs to have the relearn done.
I had this problem also. Unplug all the ECM plugs (3) and clean and dry. Moisture in the plugs will keep hamper the clutch relearn procedure. This fixed my relearn right away.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!