P1000 2018 pioneer 1000 will not start

M

Mollie46

Feb 18, 2019
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was driving my Pioneer for about 3 minutes and it quit running. I attempted to restart and will not start, turns over and seems that it wants to start but will not. let it set for about an hour and it runs gor about 10 seconds and dies. Cannot figure out what the problem is, any ideas.

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
More info Needed. First time running in a while? How long was it stored without running. Where have you been riding. Stored inside or outside, did it run good when it ran. Any codes displayed.

Reactions: 70Bones
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Was driving my Pioneer for about 3 minutes and it quit running. I attempted to restart and will not start, turns over and seems that it wants to start but will not. let it set for about an hour and it runs gor about 10 seconds and dies. Cannot figure out what the problem is, any ideas.
What year?

SteveinUT

SteveinUT

Sep 12, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Or bad gas. My wife put a 5 gal jug of 1+ year old gas that I had sitting outside the shop (because I am pretty sure it had water in it as well) in our Pioneer and it would do nothing but crank. Wouldn't even try to fire. I siphoned out the tank, put fresh gas and and it fired up after about 10 seconds of cranking, idled rough for a few seconds and was good to go after that.

Reactions: TripleB
M

Mollie46

Feb 18, 2019
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Or bad gas. My wife put a 5 gal jug of 1+ year old gas that I had sitting outside the shop (because I am pretty sure it had water in it as well) in our Pioneer and it would do nothing but crank. Wouldn't even try to fire. I siphoned out the tank, put fresh gas and and it fired up after about 10 seconds of cranking, idled rough for a few seconds and was good to go after that.
I store it inside in garage . ran fine 3 days ago, has 3/4 tank of good gas , checked the fuses, cannot not hear the fuel pump cycle. I'm thinking it may be fuel pump or the pump/fan relay

Reactions: SteveinUT
M

Mollie46

Feb 18, 2019
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
More info Needed. First time running in a while? How long was it stored without running. Where have you been riding. Stored inside or outside, did it run good when it ran. Any codes displayed.
I store it inside in garage . ran fine 3 days ago, has 3/4 tank of good gas , checked the fuses, cannot not hear the fuel pump cycle. I'm thinking it may be fuel pump or the pump/fan relay

M

Mollie46

Feb 18, 2019
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Checked the pump relay and removed and reinserted and now the pump hums but does not stop till you turn key off. Looks like pump, what do you think?

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also, turn the key on and see if the gear indicator is flashing a sequence of flashes. If so, record the number of short and long flashes.

Reactions: TripleB
Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another thought. If it isn’t throwing a code, eliminate the obvious first. Low voltage and bad fuel. These things are real fussy about a good battery. Get a good fuel sample out of the bottom of the tank if you can. If both those check good. I would pull both spark plugs and either check for spark or dump a little fuelin both holes and fire it up. If it fires that eliminates the ignition system. Also try starting it in neutral.

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
M

Mollie46

Feb 18, 2019
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also, turn the key on and see if the gear indicator is flashing a sequence of flashes. If so, record the number of short and long flashes.
Got 6 long flashes and 4 short flashes.where do I find the codes?

M

Mollie46

Feb 18, 2019
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
decided to do more checking while waiting for the injector harness, I disconnected both connectors from the injector and peeled back the factory tape and inspected the wires and connector, I also checked to see if I had voltage at the connector and I have 12.7 volts. can't find anything wrong with connector, now I'm woundering if it is really the harness. I guess I wount know till I change the harness pigtail for the injector. I also attempted to check the injector resistance but very difficult with the small pins . It seems the there is no resistance which would indicate that the injector is bad, hard to beleive only 2400 miles on this unit. Any ideas. I had previously checked fuel pump and it checked ok. Got 10 ounces of fuel when doing the 2 second test 5 times.

M

Mollie46

Feb 18, 2019
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
DIESEL fuel in tank, must have grabed the wrong pump when I filled my gas can. Drained and flushed tank changed oil and filters. Now all is fine , runs good.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
DIESEL fuel in tank, must have grabed the wrong pump when I filled my gas can. Drained and flushed tank changed oil and filters. Now all is fine , runs good.
Well it might make u feel like a dumbass but at least it wasn't something major. Lol

Reactions: CID and Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!