P1000 2019 1000-5 first service

R

RoundMtn

May 6, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the wife went on holiday ride yesterday and did almost 100 miles.
Time for first service.

Gonna drain both oil plugs and change two oil filters . Should I drain third oil plug too?

What else should I check on first service ?

Reactions: Mudwing
R

RoundMtn

May 6, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Valves ...really at first 100? Blah
Ok will do

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Time for first service.

Gonna drain both oil plugs and change two oil filters . Should I drain third oil plug too?

3 oil plugs yes

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Time for first service.

The 14 mm front drain plug drains the sub transmission and to fill it back up the filler is under the front seat not in the rear.

Reactions: TripleB
H

HondaTech

I've never adjusted 1000 valves at first service, inspected plenty, but never adjusted. The exhaust are hit or miss down the road.

Reactions: Middy and helimech
AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Follow the manual. Change the engine/clutch oil by draining the two rear plugs and replacing the two filters.

The forward oil plug is the sub-transmission oil which needs a change after two years. Inspect the valves if the engine is noisy, that is, if you can hear clackity valves. I checked my valves and they were perfect. But I did get to know the motor better and ensure the air intake tubes and grounding points were properly tight.

JML1981

JML1981

May 9, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Time for first service.

Just checked mine at around 2800 miles and the intake valves were still within the suggested tolerance but had to adjust the exhaust valves. Luckily Because I think the I’m pretty sure you have to shim the intake side.

R

RoundMtn

May 6, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First service done.
Windshield installed with basically no instructions because Honda sends no instructions with its products. Winch almost installed and thanks for You tube for great install video. I guess now it’s so easy I could do with eyes closed. Boot/a-arm guards are next.

F

firematt911

Mar 9, 2020
Hyndman, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I took my first change into the dealer, was told, they adjust valves and other things in addition to the oil. However, while I swear my dealership had a sign up that said $259 first service for months. When I took it is, swear saw same sign. When I went to pick up my 1000-3 there was one under said 1000 series $359. WOW. I hope they did more than put in some oil and kick the tires. I'll never know. They are def more complex than a normal car oil change even if that is all you are going to do.

Reactions: RoundMtn
R

RoundMtn

May 6, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok all done... now just waiting for the roof...
Window ,winch, first 100 mile service, boot guards installed .... all done... was actually lotsa fun.
Now trails open tomorrow woohoo

meanmachine19

meanmachine19

May 1, 2020
Northern Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I definitely picked the wrong profession and should have been a mechanic LOL. I am so mechanically declined I have little choice but to let the dealership do my first servicing. Not happy about the prices being quoted either, the lowest being $500. Talk about having buyer's remorse. This is my first SxS and we don't ride it hard at all like some of the crazy videos I've seen on YouTube or FB. I don't want a money pit for a hobby so I told my wife we need to start investing in the proper equipment to become a part time mechanic! I'll be a graduate of YouTube University in no time LOL. But seriously, I hope I get enough bang for my buck. We'll see after our first family vacation with the new SxS. Sorry for the griping, just venting over maintenance cost shock....

Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I definitely picked the wrong profession and should have been a mechanic LOL. I am so mechanically declined I have little choice but to let the dealership do my first servicing. Not happy about the prices being quoted either, the lowest being $500. Talk about having buyer's remorse. This is my first SxS and we don't ride it hard at all like some of the crazy videos I've seen on YouTube or FB. I don't want a money pit for a hobby so I told my wife we need to start investing in the proper equipment to become a part time mechanic! I'll be a graduate of YouTube University in no time LOL. But seriously, I hope I get enough bang for my buck. We'll see after our first family vacation with the new SxS. Sorry for the griping, just venting over maintenance cost shock....
@meanmachine19
Take a look in this following thread.

You can get by working on your machine with minimal tools bought.
A few select metric wrenches and sockets and you can do 95% of the work you will ever need to do.
The bare minimum listed in the first post is what I would recommend you start with.
A service manual is handy to have as well. If you upgrade your membership to either supporting or lifetime member, there is a service manual thread with links.

meanmachine19

meanmachine19

May 1, 2020
Northern Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@meanmachine19
Take a look in this following thread.

You can get by working on your machine with minimal tools bought.
A few select metric wrenches and sockets and you can do 95% of the work you will ever need to do.
The bare minimum listed in the first post is what I would recommend you start with.
A service manual is handy to have as well. If you upgrade your membership to either supporting or lifetime member, there is a service manual thread with links.
Thank you. I will definitely look into these options over the weekend.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!