BOX1

P700 2020 Pioneer 700-4 Deluxe dies expectantly while driving

H

hays4

Jul 13, 2020
Hannibal MO
Ownership

1. 700-4
The other evening I was driving some country roads and on three different occasions my machine died on me without any warning. No bucking, no surging, etc? Like it lost its electrical power. I didn't notice any warnings or error messages on the display. Each time I turned the key on and it started right up. Only one instance did I feel like it was lagging for power for just a second. I have put in plug into the accessory port on the wiring harness and have a 18" LED light and a soundbar hooked up to that. At the time it died, both of these were on. I noticed my voltage meter was reading around 13.4: could this be the culprit?

Reactions: Biteme
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The other evening I was driving some country roads and on three different occasions my machine died on me without any warning. No bucking, no surging, etc? Like it lost its electrical power. I didn't notice any warnings or error messages on the display. Each time I turned the key on and it started right up. Only one instance did I feel like it was lagging for power for just a second. I have put in plug into the accessory port on the wiring harness and have a 18" LED light and a soundbar hooked up to that. At the time it died, both of these were on. I noticed my voltage meter was reading around 13.4: could this be the culprit?
13.4 is still above 12 volts. When I’m running my whips, light bar and high beams on my 1000 my volt meter is around 13.8. I don’t think thats your problem. 14+/- when nothing is on and at idle. Check your ground connections.

Last edited:
H

hays4

Jul 13, 2020
Hannibal MO
Ownership

1. 700-4
Brand new unit: never been in water. Just passed 20 hours on it and about 130 miles.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
You have your warranty if need be.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I would check both terminals on the battery and ground connections. While you’re under the seat near the battery, check the plug in connections to the PCM too. 😉 Post an update when you solve it. 😎

C

Cazadore

Apr 22, 2017
Az
Ownership

1. 700-4
My ‘17 is in the shop right now for the 2nd time in as many months for the same exact thing. Runs great until it doesn’t. Shuts off like someone turns the key off when shifting from 1st to 2nd or 9-10 mph. Which ever comes first. Starts right up each time. First time in the shop they couldn’t replicate it. Tech said a loose connection was found, cleaned and reset. Took it out today, after 20 miles or so, it started dying again. Again limped it home starting and dying all the way back. This will be the last time I trailer this pos. As soon as it’s out of the shop I will be trading it for a can am. I cannot afford to be stranded in the remote country I hunt in. Not only inconvenient but could be dangerous.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
I wonder if this is a symptom of the fuel pump recall/upgrade. Sure sounds like it.
I'd have all the updates performed first.

Reactions: Biteme and TripleB
C

Cazadore

Apr 22, 2017
Az
Ownership

1. 700-4
I wonder if this is a symptom of the fuel pump recall/upgrade. Sure sounds like it.
I'd have all the updates performed first.

I don’t think this applies to mine. Mines a ‘17 and when it dies it will fire right back up as soon as it stops rolling. It idles perfect and then dies again as you start rolling again.

H

hays4

Jul 13, 2020
Hannibal MO
Ownership

1. 700-4
My ‘17 is in the shop right now for the 2nd time in as many months for the same exact thing. Runs great until it doesn’t. Shuts off like someone turns the key off when shifting from 1st to 2nd or 9-10 mph. Which ever comes first. Starts right up each time. First time in the shop they couldn’t replicate it. Tech said a loose connection was found, cleaned and reset. Took it out today, after 20 miles or so, it started dying again. Again limped it home starting and dying all the way back. This will be the last time I trailer this pos. As soon as it’s out of the shop I will be trading it for a can am. I cannot afford to be stranded in the remote country I hunt in. Not only inconvenient but could be dangerous.
So I believe I have found what my issue was: I was using a wiring harness that plugged into the test port. I removed this and bought a "Plug and Play" harness that attaches to the cigarette lighter harness. Since I did this, I haven't had any problems.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So I believe I have found what my issue was: I was using a wiring harness that plugged into the test port. I removed this and bought a "Plug and Play" harness that attaches to the cigarette lighter harness. Since I did this, I haven't had any problems.
The diagnostic connector under the hood?

Reactions: wrhii
R

Randall2385

Oct 8, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
My problem is a little different. I was driving down the road and all at once the machine started running rough and would only run 10 to 15 mph made it home and now acts like it is starting up against a lot of compression and won idle.

C

Cazadore

Apr 22, 2017
Az
Ownership

1. 700-4
Got the call from the dealership yesterday. They are sending the case to Honda for advice as they cannot find anything wrong. No codes are being thrown, unable to replicate etc, etc..

Reactions: Backwoods
C

Cazadore

Apr 22, 2017
Az
Ownership

1. 700-4
Dealer update. Still in the shop. Techs sent information to Honda for some advice. Honda eventually replied with a list of things that "could" be the cause. The techs settled on the PGM or PCM, not really sure. I don't know what that is. Still waiting for word on when the part will be received and installed.

Reactions: Mudwing
C

Cazadore

Apr 22, 2017
Az
Ownership

1. 700-4
Finally got it back from the shop after 5 1/2 weeks. Replaced the ECM and did the steering knuckle recall. Never could replicate the problem. We’ll see how it goes from here.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!