P1000 2021 1k5 no 4wd

B

Bartnc37

Nov 15, 2020
Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bought this machine brand new about 6 weeks ago after an unfortunate incident with my former polaris, RIP, and a very steep hill, have 50 ish mainly road miles on it.
Got a bit of snow here today, figured I would try out the plowing capabilities. I have 2wd, 2wd diff, and 4wd diff but no regular 4 wd. I can see and feel the cables moving on the front diff but when I shift into 4 wd the machine shows 2wd diff and the front end is definitely not pulling. Also the shifter doesn't feel like there's any tension on it when over on the reg 4wd side. Sorry for the long winded 1st post. I will take it to the dealer when I get closer to the first service, just wondering if I'm missing something simple or stupid.
Tons of great info on here, I can already feel my credit card burning looking at some of these rigs.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bought this machine brand new about 6 weeks ago after an unfortunate incident with my former polaris, RIP, and a very steep hill, have 50 ish mainly road miles on it.
Got a bit of snow here today, figured I would try out the plowing capabilities. I have 2wd, 2wd diff, and 4wd diff but no regular 4 wd. I can see and feel the cables moving on the front diff but when I shift into 4 wd the machine shows 2wd diff and the front end is definitely not pulling. Also the shifter doesn't feel like there's any tension on it when over on the reg 4wd side. Sorry for the long winded 1st post. I will take it to the dealer when I get closer to the first service, just wondering if I'm missing something simple or stupid.
Tons of great info on here, I can already feel my credit card burning looking at some of these rigs.
I’ll have to look at the service manual but I’m not sure how you can have 4wd diff lock but not regular 4wd. Interesting for sure.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This isn't an LE is it? Non Le's will have 2WD turf mode, 2WD locked, 4WD non locked and 4WD locked?

Reactions: Russ989
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you try pulling ahead and turning the steering wheel, you may need to see a differential speed between the front and rear and left and right tires to engage 4x4 and 4x4 locked

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Did you try pulling ahead and turning the steering wheel, you may need to see a differential speed between the front and rear and left and right tires to engage 4x4 and 4x4 locked
??????????

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would the rear diff cable adjustments being off create this, show 4x4 but not engage? Weird though you have diff lock, 4 wheel drive is really only 3. I have a hard time believing you have diff lock engaging.

kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check the shift cables in the box under rear floorboard for adjustment. Sometimes you have to drive about 20 ft to get the lights to show what is selected. Just had to adjust mine

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Check the shift cables in the box under rear floorboard for adjustment. Sometimes you have to drive about 20 ft to get the lights to show what is selected. Just had to adjust mine
Box under the rear only adjusts the turf/2WD lock engagement.

Reactions: Bartnc37
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would the rear diff cable adjustments being off create this, show 4x4 but not engage? Weird though you have diff lock, 4 wheel drive is really only 3. I have a hard time believing you have diff lock engaging.
Agreed, I think it's unlikely you're getting 4x4 locked without 4x4. Mine doesn't always lock until both front tires rotate

B

Bartnc37

Nov 15, 2020
Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agreed, I think it's unlikely you're getting 4x4 locked without 4x4. Mine doesn't always lock until both front tires rotate
I just went and tried it again. The front definitely is locked up in the 4 wheel diff lock. In reg 4 wd the front end doesn't pull at all. It's a 2021 base model, it doesn't make sense to me how I can have only three of he 4 modes. But like I said in the 4wd position the shifter doesn't seem seem to have any tension on it, when i put it in reg 4wd it kicks into 2wd diff lock and the shifter can just flip between those settings.

Either way thanks for all the input

advertisement
B

Bartnc37

Nov 15, 2020
Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry, it flops, not flips

kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just went and tried it again. The front definitely is locked up in the 4 wheel diff lock. In reg 4 wd the front end doesn't pull at all. It's a 2021 base model, it doesn't make sense to me how I can have only three of he 4 modes. But like I said in the 4wd position the shifter doesn't seem seem to have any tension on it, when i put it in reg 4wd it kicks into 2wd diff lock and the shifter can just flip between those settings.

Are you verifying this with it on a lift/off the ground? Or are you going off the display?

kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Also check that the cables aren’t pinched anywhere

7B3E6AD8 510D 4F1C 908C AB04C6A16EB8

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you verifying this with it on a lift/off the ground? Or are you going off the display?

This. My display quit showing drive modes a long time ago, but the lever still does what it’s supposed to do.

B

Bartnc37

Nov 15, 2020
Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I followed all the cables and they look clear and free. I'm not jacking it up, but I'm driving uphill in 6+ inches of snow . It is very apparent which drive mode you are in.

Reactions: kamikaze
B

Bartnc37

Nov 15, 2020
Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I followed all the cables down and they seem fine but it almost has to be that adjustment. Thanks for the pic/link.
I'm probably gonna wait a few miles for the 1st service and let the dealer fix it. I paid for the warranty in a moment of weakness so screw it, they can fix it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!