P1000m5 2021-Both Taillights Blown

jmcraft

jmcraft

Lifetime Member
Jan 25, 2022
Hey Everyone, my name is John and I’m a new life member. I recently purchased a new 2021 1000-5. It currently has a little over 400 miles on it. I installed the dual battery system and the Corbin Plug and Play Turn Signal kit. It all functioned quite well for a while and all of a sudden my taillights stop working. However, the brake lights work fine as do the turn signals, horn and flashers. I checked the taillight harness and power is there for all functions. I spoke at length with the manufacturer of the turn signal kit and I’m confident the problem is not the kit. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a loss of taillights?

Reactions: TripleB
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome to the club.

Did you check for power at the light connector?
Tail lights would be the brown wire. With lights ON it should be hot.
Solid green is ground.
The 3rd wire, (Yellow stripe I think) is the brake.

Also, there is a number of reports of tail lights being bad, but you may be hard pressed to get it warrantied with a turn signal kit installed.

jmcraft

jmcraft

Lifetime Member
Jan 25, 2022
Thanks for the reply. Prior to posting the question, I checked the wire harness at the taillight and with the ignition on (without the motor running) I got 12.4 volts on the brown wire using the solid green wire for ground and the same for the brake lights using the green wire with the brown stripe as ground. With the motor running I got 14.2. So the taillight module is receiving power. After testing the voltage I kinda thought that the taillights might be bad. The thing that has me perplexed is that both sides went out at the same time. The new taillights a scheduled to arrive tomorrow and I think I will disconnect the turn signal kit and drive it for a while to see what happens.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!