P1000 2021 model clutch slippage under warranty?

Cajun-Abear

Cajun-Abear

Supporting Member
Dec 20, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have searched the forums before I posted this question. I have a 2021 P1000m5 with 80 hours and 400 miles that is 16 months old and has an extended warranty. Clutch 1 is starting to slip. My question is, does Honda consider this normal wear and tear (or abuse), or is this issue covered under warranty. I put 28" Outlaw tires on the bike as I hunt in muddy south Louisiana but the bike is adult owned and driven and not abused. Thanks in advance.

H

HondaTech

I have searched the forums before I posted this question. I have a 2021 P1000m5 with 80 hours and 400 miles that is 16 months old and has an extended warranty. Clutch 1 is starting to slip. My question is, does Honda consider this normal wear and tear (or abuse), or is this issue covered under warranty. I put 28" Outlaw tires on the bike as I hunt in muddy south Louisiana but the bike is adult owned and driven and not abused. Thanks in advance.

They wont replace any burnt clutches on new units unless something else failed and caused it.

Big tires in mud are death to clutches if not driven properly. Its takes only a second to burn one.

Cajun-Abear

Cajun-Abear

Supporting Member
Dec 20, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They wont replace any burnt clutches on new units unless something else failed and caused it.

Big tires in mud are death to clutches if not driven properly. Its takes only a second to burn one.
Reading the forums, this appears to be a common problem, especially with the older units. Any idea on a shop cost to perform the clutch replacement?

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FWIW
When I bought my 2020 Pioneer 1000-5, my dealer had installed my Super ATV Intimidators, 28x10-14 on MSA Diesel wheels with the 5+2 offset.

They said my OEM warranty and the extended warranty would be applied.

I don't know about the clutches, specifically.

May depend on the dealer, I've been a "customer" for over 50 years. YMMV

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Clutches are about $300 plus an oil change. They are not too hard to do in a garage if you have patience. I did mine. It took longer to clean the unit up and get the floor board removed then to actually change them. There is a really good write up on how to do it on the forums if you search. Not sure shop repair cost but I would guess a couple hours.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
For s***s and giggles did you try this to see if it helps?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
As TXDoc posted above, dealer input and market power of that dealer can make a difference on warranty claims.

What is meant is if your dealer is a high volume highly rated dealer and IF that dealer supports your claim your chances of having repairs covered under warranty can improve.

Clutches, brake shoes or brake pads, wiper blades, and other items have always been considered wear items going back to the old manual clutch and transmission days of my youth. The way the unit is used has the greatest influence on service life of wear items.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Make
So now I’ve lost MT/AT until I replace the clutch pack?
Make sure it's warmed up for a hit before you try. Anytime I've had slippage when pulling out in first gear, this procedure has fixed my problem. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it to work.

Cajun-Abear

Cajun-Abear

Supporting Member
Dec 20, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make
Make sure it's warmed up for a hit before you try. Anytime I've had slippage when pulling out in first gear, this procedure has fixed my problem. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it to work.
I did try a couple of times with no luck. I may try again tomorrow. In the meantime my local dealer had a clutch pack in stock. I paid for it and will pick it up tomorrow along with the O-rings and gasket. Looks like I’ve got a Christmas project! Lol

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I recall correctly, the failed initialization shows AT and MT both in your display full time until it's successful, but your AT and MT will still work. Mine did the same until I put in a new clutch pack and was able to successfully initialize.

H

HondaTech

As TXDoc posted above, dealer input and market power of that dealer can make a difference on warranty claims.

What is meant is if your dealer is a high volume highly rated dealer and IF that dealer supports your claim your chances of having repairs covered under warranty can improve.

Clutches, brake shoes or brake pads, wiper blades, and other items have always been considered wear items going back to the old manual clutch and transmission days of my youth. The way the unit is used has the greatest influence on service life of wear items.

No dealers are going to get Honda to cover clutches. We've been told several times by several different people its no longer covered after the update. Unless something else failed and takes it out.

That's not to say a dealer can't fudge the details on stuff like tires, lifts, etc. for other issues. But clutches are a no go period without another issue causing the problem.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
That's not to say a dealer can't fudge the details on stuff like tires, lifts, etc. for other issues. But clutches are a no go period without another issue causing the problem.
Just like any other wear item in relation to warranty repairs.

Cajun-Abear

Cajun-Abear

Supporting Member
Dec 20, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I completed the clutch repair and now it’s shifting perfectly! 😁

side note: after watching the Honda tech video I picked up one little clue that helped with the clutch initialization. I removed the light gray ECM connector and sure enough it was wet. I cleaned it up, blew it dry and that did the trick. The clutch initialized right away!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!