Clutch temperature indicator

D

Daniil

May 1, 2023
Lithuania
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hi all, appeared with a strange problem, maybe someone knows how to solve it, Talon completely cold, air temperature, oil level okay, starting it and after 2-5 seconds the clutch temperature indicator comes on and flashes error on i-4wd, what could be the problem ?

Reactions: TxDoc
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Miles/kilometers of use on machine?

I have no knowledge of how much or how your machine has been used or your skill level in using it so I'm guessing.

The DCT (dual clutch transmission) in Talons and Pioneer 1000s is a rugged, durable, efficient, and proven device but it requires a level of understanding to use it and keep it trouble-free.

People of older generations like myself who learned to drive with a manual transmission and foot clutch instinctively know how to use the DCT. Younger drivers who learned to drive with an automatic transmission may experience problems.

The basic secret to use of the Honda DCT is DO NOT use the throttle/accelerator pedal to hold the machine in place on a hill. If you want the machine to move, depress the pedal and drive. DO NOT continue to depress the accelerator pedal if free movement of the machine is prevented by a curb, log, rock, or other object.

Do not allow the engine to rev at an rpm above idle if the machine doesn't move. To do so is causing the friction clutches to slip which causes heat, wear, and failure.

D

Daniil

May 1, 2023
Lithuania
Ownership

1. Talon X
Miles/kilometers of use on machine?

I have no knowledge of how much or how your machine has been used or your skill level in using it so I'm guessing.

The DCT (dual clutch transmission) in Talons and Pioneer 1000s is a rugged, durable, efficient, and proven device but it requires a level of understanding to use it and keep it trouble-free.

People of older generations like myself who learned to drive with a manual transmission and foot clutch instinctively know how to use the DCT. Younger drivers who learned to drive with an automatic transmission may experience problems.

The basic secret to use of the Honda DCT is DO NOT use the throttle/accelerator pedal to hold the machine in place on a hill. If you want the machine to move, depress the pedal and drive. DO NOT use continue to depress the accelerator pedal if free movement of the machine is prevented by a curb, log, rock, or other object.

Do not allow the engine to rev at an rpm above idle if the machine doesn't move. To do so is causing the friction clutches to slip which causes heat, wear, and failure.
it is talon 1000x 2020, around 6k km, not aggressive use, I just wanted to replace clutch disks, took out the clutch, replaced disks and now I have this problem

Reactions: TxDoc and HBarlow
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
it is talon 1000x 2020, around 6k km, not aggressive use, I just wanted to replace clutch disks, took out the clutch, replaced disks and now I have this problem

I'm not a real mechanic, I just act like one on this forum! (An old American joke based on a stupid old television commercial).

When parts have been replaced or other work done by the owner rather than a skilled shop the first assumption is usually to wonder if a mistake was made. Not assuming you did something wrong, just wondering if you overlooked a step or forgot to adjust something. I would suggest you go back over your work looking carefully for something overlooked.

Other than that suggestion, I don't know what is causing your alarm, perhaps a genuine Honda technician can tell you. If your clutches were worn and slipping before you replaced them perhaps the computer doesn't know yet and is still providing old information.

Is it possible to clear the code or the alarm light?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
did u replace with the OEM Honda clutch packs - all in one unit

u were on the other site looking for just disks

did u do a clutch relearn at least

D

Daniil

May 1, 2023
Lithuania
Ownership

1. Talon X
did u replace with the OEM Honda clutch packs - all in one unit

u were on the other site looking for just disks

did u do a clutch relearn at least
I changed only disks because packs 740$ will be + delivery to me 200$, and new disks only 100$ for 8pcs, that is why I have changed only disks. Clutch relearn - no, because I have 83-1, 83-2 errors, and I cannon do this procedure already 5 months, because nobody knows how to solve this problem, last chance will be new ECM, I’ll get it in 5 days, hope it will help me

H

HondaTech

I changed only disks because packs 740$ will be + delivery to me 200$, and new disks only 100$ for 8pcs, that is why I have changed only disks. Clutch relearn - no, because I have 83-1, 83-2 errors, and I cannon do this procedure already 5 months, because nobody knows how to solve this problem, last chance will be new ECM, I’ll get it in 5 days, hope it will help me

I dont know where your getting just the disk/fibers, I'm not aware of anyone selling them.

Honda only sells the entire clutch, basket included because there is a specific freeplay the clutch has to have to operate properly.

D

Daniil

May 1, 2023
Lithuania
Ownership

1. Talon X
I dont know where your getting just the disk/fibers, I'm not aware of anyone selling them.

Honda only sells the entire clutch, basket included because there is a specific freeplay the clutch has to have to operate properly.
which exactly part should have a freeplay ?

H

HondaTech

Here I have bought them

The clutch pack itself has a set freeplay between the snap ring and the thick steel plate that sits at the top of the clutch pack. Honda was originally going to sell different end plates to set freeplay but decided to just sell the whole pack together.

That link is for car parts, they might work but id mutch rather have the correct stuff

Reactions: TxDoc and Smitty335
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Here I have bought them
U r not going to get anyone here to say that’s good since there is a reason Honda only sells clutch packs - I get it’s a huge cost - but it is what it is

hopefully these are where Honda buys they from and are same exact thickness, material spec, etc…..

I am impressed by your ingenuity and maybe you can teach us all something - good luck

H

HondaTech

U r not going to get anyone here to say that’s good since there is a reason Honda only sells clutch packs - I get it’s a huge cost - but it is what it is

hopefully these are where Honda buys they from and are same exact thickness, material spec, etc…..

I am impressed by your ingenuity and maybe you can teach us all something - good luck

There's alot of stuff in the DCT trans that are car parts by the #'s. So it's possible, their just using off the shelf car stuff and it would work.

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Danil,

I'm just a bystander here but if you can cancel the ECM purchase I advise you to do so. Your problem is most likely the clutch disks you replaced.

My advice is follow the recommendations of "HondaTech." He is a genuine Honda dealership service department Honda technician.

H

HondaTech

Danil,

I'm just a bystander here but if you can cancel the ECM purchase I advise you to do so. Your problem is most likely the clutch disks you replaced.

My advice is follow the recommendations of "HondaTech." He is a genuine Honda dealership service department Honda technician.

Atleast that's what my boss says I am.

D

Daniil

May 1, 2023
Lithuania
Ownership

1. Talon X
The clutch pack itself has a set freeplay between the snap ring and the thick steel plate that sits at the top of the clutch pack. Honda was originally going to sell different end plates to set freeplay but decided to just sell the whole pack together.

That link is for car parts, they might work but id mutch rather have the correct stuff
this one freeplay I know, it should be 1.4-1.6mm and this is absolutely the same disks as original ones

Reactions: TxDoc and CID
D

Daniil

May 1, 2023
Lithuania
Ownership

1. Talon X
Danil,

I will follow HondaTechs' recommendations, but we don't have a dealer center in our country :)

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
fwiw: Daniil is in Lithuania and probably doesn't have the resources available that we do here.

D

Daniil

May 1, 2023
Lithuania
Ownership

1. Talon X
Danil,

I have tried many many many ideas how to solve 83-? error, starting from new oil pressure sensors, ending by new wiring set, nothing helped, ECM the last idea

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!