Clutch temp light

T

TS2022

Jan 18, 2023
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
the 33s came on it when bought, so then would it need a gear reduction or stock wheels so the light does not come on? I am not around the machine this week. Just wanted to get some insight.

T

TS2022

Jan 18, 2023
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Your welcome 😂 JK

Yup! Done messed it up with those!
are they the ones you put on? Which ones came with it?
I run 30’s on mine and thats close to max without a gear reduction.

Also….Its not a “Remington” rule lol
I Thank @HBarlow for giving me credit! Im flattered.
Im afraid the POIDH Rule #4 was in place years ago around or just before I joined in 16’ from some other members that have moved on to other ventures that I still stay in contact with. Im just simply carrying the torch and doing the work for the people by the people! 😉

@TS2022 A little forum etiquette and unsolicited advise….
When answering a question to someone, use the reply button at the bottom of there question then type your answer. Otherwise they may not see that you answered. Example, I only knew cuz I came back later just because. But most of the time, people will miss it. Again, Welcome to the Hondasxs club! Post up some pics. Like to see that Rig! There all different in there own way!

Ill start again, heres mine..
View attachment 377919View attachment 377920
the 33s came on it when bought, so then would it need a gear reduction or stock wheels so the light does not come on? I am not around the machine this week. Just wanted to get some insight.

Reactions: CID and Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If u keep them, you will have to do a gear reduction or portals yes or suffer the same fait. By stepping down a bit in size it might turn your temp light off. But its a start. Id go down to 30’s or lower anyway and see. But there might be a temp sensor thats bad if it was original. Im not 100% sure on all the internal guts to that. @HondaTech might be able to clear that up for ya tho.

T

TS2022

Jan 18, 2023
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If u keep them, you will have to do a gear reduction or portals yes or suffer the same fait. By stepping down a bit in size it might turn your temp light off. But its a start. Id go down to 30’s or lower anyway and see. But there might be a temp sensor thats bad if it was original. Im not 100% sure on all the internal guts to that. @HondaTech might be able to clear that up for ya tho.
I replaced the sensor with a known good one just to rule that out.

Reactions: Remington
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
No.... you don't need OEM wheels/tires or a gear reduction. You might want the gear reduction if you are running BKT's or an aggressive mud tire and play in the mud. Otherwise you'll be fine on 32-33" tires; you'll just notice a bit of a power loss over the stock tire size. You've got something else going on causing that clutch temp light to come on under a load. I've never had the cases apart to change the clutches, but I know when they go there is a ton of clutch material that can clog things up. Sounds like that may be something to look into? It's not your tires.

@HondaTech
@snuffnwhisky
@CumminsPusher

Here's a post from @HondaTech showing the garbage that gets in there and why it is important to clean everything out:

T

TS2022

Jan 18, 2023
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
No.... you don't need OEM wheels/tires or a gear reduction. You might want the gear reduction if you are running BKT's or an aggressive mud tire and play in the mud. Otherwise you'll be fine on 32-33" tires; you'll just notice a bit of a power loss over the stock tire size. You've got something else going on causing that clutch temp light to come on under a load. I've never had the cases apart to change the clutches, but I know when they go there is a ton of clutch material that can clog things up. Sounds like that may be something to look into? It's not your tires.

@HondaTech
@snuffnwhisky
@CumminsPusher

Here's a post from @HondaTech showing the garbage that gets in there and why it is important to clean everything out:

Had it all apart an cleaned everything. Just stumped on why it’s coming on Under hard acceleration

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Had it all apart an cleaned everything. Just stumped on why it’s coming on Under hard acceleration
Gotcha. Seems like it's related to flowing enough oil to cool the clutches when under heavy load. Hopefully one of the guys I tagged will have something for you.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
There are 3 oil pumps. Oil pan pickup tube has one that sends oil to the oil tank. Engine oil pump and Trans oil pump. If the pickup is blocked from clutch material, it will starve both of oil. Oil pressure regulator for the clutch is inside the oil tank. There's a metal screen inside the valve body of the clutch cover that needs to be cleaned. Clutch oil pressure at idle should be over 100 psi.

T

TS2022

Jan 18, 2023
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
There are 3 oil pumps. Oil pan pickup tube has one that sends oil to the oil tank. Engine oil pump and Trans oil pump. If the pickup is blocked from clutch material, it will starve both of oil. Oil pressure regulator for the clutch is inside the oil tank. There's a metal screen inside the valve body of the clutch cover that needs to be cleaned. Clutch oil pressure at idle should be over 100 psi.
It was all cleaned when apart, checked the regulator an it seems to be free an clean. I checked pressures while driving it, spec I believe around 5,000 was 50 psi with 2-3 psi bleed over between both clutch packs. They both were fine. Never had any loss when accelerating hard on it. Clutch line pressure at idle was good. I tried manual mode an it still seems to do it, hard to tell which gear though when getting on it.

Reactions: Plumber32
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
It was all cleaned when apart, checked the regulator an it seems to be free an clean. I checked pressures while driving it, spec I believe around 5,000 was 50 psi with 2-3 psi bleed over between both clutch packs. They both were fine. Never had any loss when accelerating hard on it. Clutch line pressure at idle was good. I tried manual mode an it still seems to do it, hard to tell which gear though when getting on it.
The 50 psi should be engine oil pressure. I do not believe the book shows how to check the clutch pressure or specs. I manually checked on my pioneer many years ago. Mine was 110 psi at idle and 130 psi at 5k rpm.

IMG 20170513 222009042

IMG 20170513 222053647

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Run manual mode in 1st, 3rd and 5th and get on it and see if you get a light. Do the same in 2nd, 4th and 6th gear. Outside clutch pack is for R, 1, 3 & 5th gear. Inside pack is for 2, 4 & 6th gear. If its only 1 clutch causing problems, you probably have a clutch pack oring bad or the seals on the shaft bad. If both packs, your loosing pressure on both shaft seals, pump or regulator problem - Low oil pressure, cover bearing in backwards, Linear solenoid bad or bad seal on one of the hollow dowels that goes between the covers and separator plate.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The oil pressure regulator for the engine pump can be removed from the outside of the oil tank, easy. The reg for the trans pump is inside the oil tank. Oil tank has to come off to get to it, PITA.

T

TS2022

Jan 18, 2023
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The oil pressure regulator for the engine pump can be removed from the outside of the oil tank, easy. The reg for the trans pump is inside the oil tank. Oil tank has to come off to get to it, PITA.
Thanks for the info, yes I checked the pressure there which is good. Also checked pressures at both clutch pack pressure sensors To make sure I had no pressure loss when driving it. I’ve actually had it apart twice because I thought maybe it was a oring under the clutch packs or sealing ring, but everything was ok even replaced again when had apart. Replaced all solenoid valves and linear valve. Cover bearing is in correct per service manual. I won’t be able to check driving it for a few days.

T

TS2022

Jan 18, 2023
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the info, yes I checked the pressure there which is good. Also checked pressures at both clutch pack pressure sensors To make sure I had no pressure loss when driving it. I’ve actually had it apart twice because I thought maybe it was a oring under the clutch packs or sealing ring, but everything was ok even replaced again when had apart. Replaced all solenoid valves and linear valve. Cover bearing is in correct per service manual. I won’t be able to check driving it for a few days.
I had the regulator out for the transmission and cleaned.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The temp sender just sends a ground to the ECU to trigger the light. Make sure those wires are not rubbed through touching the engine or frame also. Trans pressure should be over 100 psi where i checked in the pic above.

T

TS2022

Jan 18, 2023
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The temp sender just sends a ground to the ECU to trigger the light. Make sure those wires are not rubbed through touching the engine or frame also. Trans pressure should be over 100 psi where i checked in the pic above.
Pressure is over 100 at idle an around 130 or so at 5,000. I will have to check the wires going to the ecu

H

HondaTech

There isn't any new sensors in the engine/trans on a Talon that aren't in the Pioneer.

From what I've gathered Honda is using the Oil temp sensor in the clutch cover to monitor oil temp and trigger the PCM to turn the clutch "overheat" light on. They didn't add any additional sensors for that function is what I'm getting at.

Wee were talking to another dealership who was trying to run KOH this year with a fresh engine build having this same issue. As far as I know they hadn't resolved, atleast not since I last spoke to them.

That sensor uses the dame ground for all 3 Oil Pressure sensors in the clutch cover as well. I'm beginning to wonder if it's not a ground issue, I believe OP replaced the sensor already so it rules that out. I'm wondering what the sensor is reading and if it really is hot or just reading hot. Since unplugging temperature sensors usually causes high volatge and fans to turn on when used in the cooling system.

If you unplug thay sensor, does the light stay on?

Last edited:
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
There isn't any new sensors in the engine/trans on a Talon that aren't in the Pioneer.

From what I've gathered Honda is using the Oil temp sensor in the clutch cover to monitor oil temp and trigger the PCM to turn the clutch "overheat" light on. They didn't add any additional sensors for that function is what I'm getting at.

Wee were talking to another dealership who was trying to run KOH this year with a fresh engine build having this same issue. As far as I know they hadn't resolved, atleast not since I last spoke to them.

That sensor uses the dame ground for all 3 Oil Pressure sensors in the clutch cover as well. I'm beginning to wonder if it's not a ground issue, I believe OP replaced the sensor already so it rules that out. I'm wondering what the sensor is reading and if it really is hot or just reading hot. Since unplugging temperature sensors usually causes high volatge and fans to turn on when used in the cooling system.

If you unplug thay sensor, does the light stay on?
Yep. Shared ground going to the sensor and other wire, only 2 to it, goes to ecu. Sensor trips and passes the ground to ecu to trigger the light. Sensor mechanically trips at a set temp to complete the circuit. Common sensor for temp lights and fan control. Already swapped to a known good one so should eliminate the sensor.

Reactions: Remington

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!