Clutch temp light

T

TS2022

Jan 18, 2023
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
2021 honda talon 1000r, installed new clutches and solenoid valves. Pressures are good, clutch temp light
only comes on when you get on the throttle. not overheating an does not seem to be slipping. Goes through clutch initialization no problem. No codes. Check electrical connections. Any ideas?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

I’ll start with - are you the original owner/do you know the history of the buggy and why it needed clutch replacement?

T

TS2022

Jan 18, 2023
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Not the original owner, clutch temp light was coming on only when getting on the throttle, checked electrical, pressures, and switched temp light sensor with know good one. Went internal and found clutch pack 1,3,5 burnt.

Reactions: TripleB and CID
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
2021 honda talon 1000r
Welcome from the once Great State Of Michigan now run by Radical Leftists

I know your having issues, but to better serve you we
Got A Rule when u first post and thats rule #4 and its pics of the rig
Pics Or It Didn Happen!

Also what Summersville?
might want to fix that. Theres more than one in this country

Reactions: Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Not the original owner, clutch temp light was coming on only when getting on the throttle, checked electrical, pressures, and switched temp light sensor with know good one. Went internal and found clutch pack 1,3,5 burnt.
Geeze! How many miles on the rig? And what did they do or use that rig for?

Reactions: Smitty335
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
OP. was the Talon showing a clutch temp light when you bought it and drove it first time or did that symptom develop later?

Did you buy it from a dealer or private party?

Honda's DCT works great and is robust but it's important to avoid stalling it against a big rock, tree limb, or other obstruction.

What I mean by stalling it is this: if driver is pressing the throttle, raising engine rpm but the buggy is not moving the clutches are slipping. That can cause clutch overheating and rapid wear. Same applies for hill holding. Driver can't hold position on a grade by applying throttle and allowing clutch #1 to slip.

Reactions: CID and Remington
T

TS2022

Jan 18, 2023
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It developed later, privately bought. If I’m doing normal riding the light will not come on, it’s only if you accelerate rapidly with it, haven’t been hill holding or had the buggy against anything that will cause the wheels to not turn. Can’t to seem to find what is causing the light only on hard acceleration. Goes away after a few seconds when you stop. It doesn’t have to be put in neutral or park.

Reactions: CID
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Does the clutch temp light illuminate after just one zero (0 mph) to 50 mph run or multiple times?

is the buggy equipped with oem wheels and tires? Any added weight or modifications that might contribute to temp light?

Are you using recommended Hona branded engine oil in engine and DCT? Clean fluid and filter and topped off per dipstick?

Are you average size and weight and no extra weight in buggy during acceleration runs?

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Around 3000, just for riding
It developed later, privately bought
Ok, this is far too weird to happen @ 3k miles without it haveing too big of tires or ragged on. Obviously possible but not that common. Something is fishy! Your Gonna for sure have to supply pics of it before and/or when u bought it plus after. and What tires and wheels before and after you bought it. Sound's like the other party didnt tell you the Trooff! This is only part of the reasons we have rule #4
Pics Or It Dosnt Happen!
If u need help on how to do this, ask.

We need to know more details.
you prob have a bad sensor in there. If your going that far, depending on how bad your burn out was, buy once cry once! Or work smarter bot harder!

T

TS2022

Jan 18, 2023
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It comes on an illuminates for a few seconds once you stop it goes off,it has aftermarket wheels and tires on it. Using recommenced fluid an yes average weight.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
What size wheels and tires?

If your tires are significantly larger diameter than oem you have effectively changed gearing. That increases load on the engine and drivetrain including clutches.

In my experience when someone comes to a forum like this asking technical questions but seems reluctant to provide key details it suggests he already knows he has created the problem but doesn't want to admit it.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
They are 33x10-15
Yup. There is your answer.

Reinstall oem wheels and tires are borrow a set from a friend and try it. I suspect you'll find no clutch temp lights.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Apparently from photos I've seen, a few Talon owners use similar oversized wheels and tires. They won't cause immediate destruction.

Just realize the tires place additional stress on the drivetrain and could cause premature failure and drive it accordingly.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
You are welcome. We appreciate new members, particularly active new members who contribute to the discussions. Member participation and photos of your buggy and activities make the forum more interesting for all.

Please follow the "Remington Rule." Post a photo or it didn't happen!

• Love
Reactions: CID and Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ok I appreciate your information.
Your welcome 😂 JK
They are 33x10-15
Yup! Done messed it up with those!
are they the ones you put on? Which ones came with it?
I run 30’s on mine and thats close to max without a gear reduction.

Also….Its not a “Remington” rule lol
I Thank @HBarlow for giving me credit! Im flattered.
Im afraid the POIDH Rule #4 was in place years ago around or just before I joined in 16’ from some other members that have moved on to other ventures that I still stay in contact with. Im just simply carrying the torch and doing the work for the people by the people! 😉

@TS2022 A little forum etiquette and unsolicited advise….
When answering a question to someone, use the reply button at the bottom of there question then type your answer. Otherwise they may not see that you answered. Example, I only knew cuz I came back later just because. But most of the time, people will miss it. Again, Welcome to the Hondasxs club! Post up some pics. Like to see that Rig! There all different in there own way!

Ill start again, heres mine..
DD0F22B2 DBA7 4D3B BD2E B6BDBFB27286
79E496B6 A4ED 4FF4 A6BB 7D5588F3623A

• Love
Reactions: CID and HBarlow

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!