P1000 2021 P1K-3 Body Panels Not Fitting Properly

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Purchased a 2021 P1K-3 Deluxe back in early June, my dealer was having a rough time getting me the camo version so I opted to purchase a red deluxe which he had in stock. I purchased at a discount camo body panels during the machine purchase so the wait began. Took 4 1/2 months to get the new panels and none of them fit except the hood and front end piece, took the machine and panels to my dealer they agreed that the fit was not acceptable, they took them back and ordered another set (2 door and bed panels) ........well, I received the second set and they also were not fitting correctly. The panels are a bit larger than the red panels that came on the machine. Sooooo, is this a common issue or do I just have some serious bad luck ??
Iv'e been a honda lover for ever and this is a little discouraging to me, these machines are to damn expensive to settle for bulging body panels....

Has anybody experienced this issue i'm having ?????

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I bought a Deluxe. One with the body panels on it from the factory. They fit fine. Had it been a different color Deluxe, I would have been fine with that color, too.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
That's weird.
I just did some quick checking and don't see any changes in the actual drivers door, main door (not panels) back to 2016.

Panel (red one) also seem to be the same part # 2021-2016 for 3 and 5 seater.

Camo is different part # as they changed camo pattern again so can't check that.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah, i'm not really understanding it. You would think that all the body panels for a particular model would be identical no matter the color, Honda must mold thousands and thousands of body panels a year and i would assume all the molds are the same for a particular model.

H

HondaTech

Occasionally the front door panels will have a big gap between the panel and door, especially near the upper rear corner.

For whatever reason its usually more prevalent on Camo units. I dont know if its something to do with the plastic they use since they have to dip the camo on.

We usually have to massage the camo units to get those front door panels to lay down.

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Occasionally the front door panels will have a big gap between the panel and door, especially near the upper rear corner.

For whatever reason its usually more prevalent on Camo units. I dont know if its something to do with the plastic they use since they have to dip the camo on.

We usually have to massage the camo units to get those front door panels to lay down.
Now that you mention it, the parts manager I was working with talked to a couple of the service techs and they basically said the same thing that some panels will fit better than others for some reason. Parts manager did tell me to keep bringing them back if they don't fit right and we'll try some more. Hopfully at some point i'll be satisfied with the fit. May have to pic your brain on your massaging techniques.....

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Purchased a 2021 P1K-3 Deluxe back in early June, my dealer was having a rough time getting me the camo version so I opted to purchase a red deluxe which he had in stock. I purchased at a discount camo body panels during the machine purchase so the wait began. Took 4 1/2 months to get the new panels and none of them fit except the hood and front end piece, took the machine and panels to my dealer they agreed that the fit was not acceptable, they took them back and ordered another set (2 door and bed panels) ........well, I received the second set and they also were not fitting correctly. The panels are a bit larger than the red panels that came on the machine. Sooooo, is this a common issue or do I just have some serious bad luck ??
Iv'e been a honda lover for ever and this is a little discouraging to me, these machines are to damn expensive to settle for bulging body panels....

Has anybody experienced this issue i'm having ?????
Got pics of the two panels so we can see the difference Of what your talking about? Might have an Idea or two for you

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here's the passenger door, you can see the fastener in the upper front and how the other two holes become progressively further off. Both door panels and both bed panels have the same problem.

IMG 2771
IMG 2772
m
IMG 2773

Reactions: Lady01
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's the passenger front door on my 2018 1000-5. It has the gap like hondatech mentioned. My panel doesn't go all the way to the back of the door like yours does. If it did then the bolt hole in the door would be covered by the panel. Seems like yours are too long
20211226 145057

20211226 144909

• Wow
Reactions: Lady01 and toddvdh
advertisement
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@packer58 I tried moving my panel all around but couldn't duplicate your issue. The gap on mine looks worse in the picture than it really is. It measures 3/8". I've thought about adding a bolt there to close the gap. Has anyone tried that?

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Wow.. that one is off by a inch.

Yeah, it's off by quite a bit for sure. I know we're not talking space shuttle tolerances on a $20,000 rig but dang-it Honda.... you gotta do better than that !!
I guess at this point i'll keep returning them till they get it right, it sucks but i'm a patient man............

Side note...... The front end piece and hood fit like a glove....

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm going to bring this topic back to life because my third set of camo door and bed panels are in at my dealership.

Here's where i'm at at this point......

If this set of panels fit to some level that I can live with them then it's a done deal, however at this point if they don't fit any better than the last two sets i'm pretty set on returning them "door and bed panels" for a refund and doing a vinyl wrap on my original door and bed panels.
Looking for opinions on what camo pattern is closest to the Honda Phantom pattern, I have my own opinions on this but looking for others to help reinforce my choice I guess.
The other thing for those that have wrapped their Pioneer, the front door panels seem pretty easy but the bed panels have the deep recess's for the fasteners that look a little tricky....... any tricks or techniques would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The deeper holes were a litter harder to get the wrap to stay.
I found some black plastic washers at ACE that were almost perfect for the bolt solder. This gave a larger foot print to hold the vinyl.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Oh man what a sweet wrap this was. here you go.

Reactions: Lady01 and Scoop
P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the tip on the washers, still a little torn between vinyl or hydro dip if the panels don't fit right.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!