P1000 2023-24 I4 drive system vs manual locking in deluxe what are disadvantage of I4 other than added cost?

T

tbounds02

Dec 27, 2023
Ms
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-5
I am trying to decide between Forest model vs Deluxe . I am concerned about the I4 system vs manual lock.
Is there a disadvantage to the I4 system other than the added cost of purchase?

Reactions: NewHere2 and TxDoc
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
You'll get lots of opinions, I have both.... a Talon w I4wd & a P1K3 w the cable locker. Both do what they're supposed to do.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Lots of opinions as 906UP said. The more technical your riding, the more a full locker is an advantage. If you're a casual trail rider, i4wd is pretty good. It does get confused in snow, slippery mud and loose sand and will hunt back and forth on the front. I don't ride in much mud or snow and have never felt it hunt in the sand.

One of our members is an extreme rider, he has both an i4wd Talon and a P1K with normal lockers. For 95% of the time, the i4wd is good. It's in that 5% where the full locker comes out on top. The Talon may still get there, but it gets beaten like a red headed step child to do it. My Talon has gone anywhere I care to take it, sometimes following guys who are better riders than I am, over things I'd never try alone (I'm solo 95% of the time).

I really like that I can flip it in and out of 4wd anytime at any speed, which I do all day - engage on uphills and steep downhills (so the rears don't skid due to extreme weight shift to the front). On slippery gravel roads, I might run it all day to keep from constantly spinning the rears.

I'm a two footed driver and that can mess with the i4wd because it uses sprag clutches, braking at the wrong time will release the sprag which will release drive to either front wheel. Fortunately, I occasionally ride with 2 other Talon riders and they'll tell me that both wheels aren't turning and that's usually because I hit the brakes just before I needed hook up. That's hard to avoid in technical climbing - pick yer poison.

I'm nearing 13k miles and am completely happy with i4wd.

T

tbounds02

Dec 27, 2023
Ms
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-5
Well my 4wd is needed for duck hunting heavy gumbo mud and water up to floor boards , for those of you who don't know about Ms. Delta gumbo it is very sticky at a certain stage of drying and you can't walk in it , build up on your boots, tires so much so you can't turn steering wheels without digging mud out from around tires.
If your man enough to try and walk in it you get taller .
I am concerned about the system getting over whelmed ? I also am concerned about reliability of it . If it were to go out in the gumbo , I would be stuck

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well my 4wd is needed for duck hunting heavy gumbo mud and water up to floor boards , for those of you who don't know about Ms. Delta gumbo it is very sticky at a certain stage of drying and you can't walk in it , build up on your boots, tires so much so you can't turn steering wheels without digging mud out from around tires.
If your man enough to try and walk in it you get taller .
I am concerned about the system getting over whelmed ? I also am concerned about reliability of it . If it were to go out in the gumbo , I would be stuck
Now that we know a little about your riding conditions - another issue you might have is with the DCT. The Pioneer idles at ~1500 rpm and the clutch engages at ~1800. There's very little torque at that low rpm, laws of physics. If you get all 4 wheels loaded up in the mud, the clutch will engage but the buggy won't move - and the first rule of DCT, if the wheels aren't turning, get off the throttle or you'll cook your clutch. In similar conditions with a CVT, you might burn a divot in your $200 belt.

Hopefully, someone with a Pioneer 1000 will share their experience in heavy mud.

At 25:30 in this video, I experience that bog. I'm on a fairly steep incline, maybe 40* and the ~2' ledge added to the load. All I had to do is back up and gently bump the ledge but you won't be able to do that in heavy mud.

T

tbounds02

Dec 27, 2023
Ms
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-5
I currently run a Polaris 900xp eps and does good as long as i leave it in low range , 28 inch tires and I know when to get off the gas to save the belt. heavy loads are an issue if not careful.
your situation is nothing like what we encounter no rocks , all mud and water .
Which brings me to another question the sales person i asked how deep of water does it run in . He said Honda only recommends half the diameter of wheels .
So 14 inches ? I said no way that will work and he said , but nobody does that.?
what is the deal ? with water , My polaris I can run it 2ft of water easy and slow.

Last edited:
Reactions: TxDoc and NewHere2
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You'll get lots of opinions, I have both.... a Talon w I4wd & a P1K3 w the cable locker. Both do what they're supposed to do.
@tbounds02 ☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻THIS
I currently run aPOO POO FIRE TRAP 900xp eps and does good as long as i leave it in low range , 28 inch tires and I know when to get off the gas to save the belt. heavy loads are an issue if not careful.
Which brings me to another question the sales person i asked how deep of water does it run in . He said Honda only recommends half the diameter of wheels .
So 14 inches ? I said no way that will work and he said , but nobody does that.?
what is the deal ? with water , MY POO POO FIRE TRAP I can run it 2ft of water easy and slow.
Also…Fixed it for ya!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I currently run a Polaris 900xp eps and does good as long as i leave it in low range , 28 inch tires and I know when to get off the gas to save the belt. heavy loads are an issue if not careful.
what is the deal ? with water , My polaris I can run it 2ft of water easy and slow.
Sounds like you'd be better suited with one of these

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I deleted I got the info I was looking for and then it became a bit too off subject for my liking .

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That's mostly just liability protection. Not sure about the Pioneer but I've seen videos with water coming up to the windshield in a Talon (similar depth recommendations). A snorkel is recommended so you can see the water level in relation to your air intake. When it's under the hood (stock), you can build up a water wave and ingest water without knowing it.

I think @JenElio is our submarine contingent in Florida, maybe he'll post a photo or two of water depths.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here ya go, properly snorkled -

Jump to 45 seconds -

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I think @JenElio is our submarine contingent in Florida, maybe he'll post a photo or two of water depths.
🤦‍♂️....😂😂😂

@tbounds02 you'll be ok in regards to water. I suggest installing some kind of snorkel though. Like @CID mentioned keeping it in sight let's you see how far you can push it.

I try to keep our water rides no deeper then seat height but there's been a few times it's gone deeper (-SHE-) I've never 🤞had issues with any of my electronics or mechanical systems, there's guys out there that'll seal and protect every plugs in the thing.......I dunked mine in mud past the seats soon as I pulled it off the dealer's lot 😬.

As long as you keep the buggy running you should be ok.
Received 1165871470730118

I'm running 29's no crazy lift or anything this is what most of my riding is down here.
Resized 20221016 094331

Even the kids learn quick 😂😂
20221002 135416
Resized 20221002 135445

Just don't be as crazy as this guy 👇😳

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!