Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
The only thing not easily added (atleast for the moment) off the trail model is the factory interior light in the floorboard.

But I also haven't seen many deluxe models yet, but we've had like 10 or 15 Trail models come and go
Mah Dee-Lux with a few strips of LED lights and a nice potentiometer to adjust brightness (or shut them off).

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Oh this would be info to hear--what happens in deep snow? Not entirely sure I'd be using mine in deep snow, the upper half of our property is steep enough that going off tar would be treacherous in any vehicle, I think; it drops 1000' to the lower half over around 100-150 yards. But I'm still curious, and have you driven a Deluxe with locking diff in the same kind of snow?

I have a deluxe 1000-5 with the locking and a talon with I-4wd. So not a true comparison.

The talon has way higher ground clearance so it goes through deeper snow, but it chatters when you are dragging the skid plate. Like it’s locking and unlocking (which is probably what it is doing) but I just don’t like the chattering along feeling.

There is really no option on the talon, and it’s not bad……I just wouldn’t pay any more for it over the manual lockers.

I’m kind of a buy cheaper and customize to my liking. I really think fox shocks and @SuperATV arched a arms were the best things I added.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a deluxe 1000-5 with the locking and a talon with I-4wd. So not a true comparison.

The talon has way higher ground clearance so it goes through deeper snow, but it chatters when you are dragging the skid plate. Like it’s locking and unlocking (which is probably what it is doing) but I just don’t like the chattering along feeling.

There is really no option on the talon, and it’s not bad……I just wouldn’t pay any more for it over the manual lockers.

I’m kind of a buy cheaper and customize to my liking. I really think fox shocks and @SuperATV arched a arms were the best things I added.
Wouldn't it be cool to have a Talon Deluxe?

D

Drew S

May 23, 2023
Colorado
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Mah Dee-Lux with a few strips of LED lights and a nice potentiometer to adjust brightness (or shut them off).
Yeah that was my thought too, light strips are easy, and put out more light than those dinky floorboard lights appear to do.

My understanding is the i4WD never locks; it's like the AWD "4x4" on my van, limited-slip+braking system controlled by the ECU. I could be wrong, but it's probably the brakes rapidly applying and releasing like a non-skid brake to control the power to the non-slipping wheel. Do you think it works as well? Because:

But I also haven't seen many deluxe models yet, but we've had like 10 or 15 Trail models come and go
This is my problem. All I can find around here, are the Trail/Forest 1000-5's. For the Deluxe, I can only find 3-seater 2022's, or the 2023 Deluxe Crews--I want to take more than two passengers on trails, but I neither want nor need a vehicle as long as the Crew. Last year, all I could find was the Deluxe 1000 3 or 5 seaters, this year it's the opposite.

Bandman

Bandman

Jul 17, 2021
Hayden Lake, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are going to add the stuff to a deluxe that the Trail/Forest has it would cost you more plus the time. I chose the forest as I thought the leveling suspension would be more useful that the sport suspension and I preferred the camo skin.

Reactions: Drew S and toddvdh
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If you are going to add the stuff to a deluxe that the Trail/Forest has it would cost you more plus the time. I chose the forest as I thought the leveling suspension would be more useful that the sport suspension and I preferred the camo skin.

AFAIK, the only *real* differences are the Warn winch (call it $500 for a comparable to buy yourself) on the F/T, the QS3 shocks on the Trail only ($1,500 to buy yourself) and a handful of lights and a mirror (meh). The MSRP price difference between the Deluxe and either the Trail or Forest is $2K, so I don't see any real difference in price between the Deluxe and F/T. And if you don't want the i4WD, the only way to go is the Deluxe plus adding the winch and shocks.

Reactions: Bandman and Drew S
D

Drew S

May 23, 2023
Colorado
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Ok thank you all, given this discussion and the lack of availability of Deluxe 5's in my area, I'll probably go with the Trail. Sounds like the i4WD works as well as a true locker in most conditions, and the deep snow referenced is not one I'm sure I'd be driving in anyway.

Does anyone have experience with the Torq custom locker for the i4WD diff? It sounds like you can use i4WD most of the time, then engage it as needed, and it's only around $500, so might give the best of both worlds? (or at least compensate for the lack of locker on the i4WD when absolutely needed)

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Ok thank you all, given this discussion and the lack of availability of Deluxe 5's in my area, I'll probably go with the Trail. Sounds like the i4WD works as well as a true locker in most conditions, and the deep snow referenced is not one I'm sure I'd be driving in anyway.

Does anyone have experience with the Torq custom locker for the i4WD diff? It sounds like you can use i4WD most of the time, then engage it as needed, and it's only around $500, so might give the best of both worlds? (or at least compensate for the lack of locker on the i4WD when absolutely needed)
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the i4WD vs standard diff until you've put a good number of miles on her. There's no reason to change anything or spend the money unless there is something that YOU have determined you can't live with(out).

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I don't think the Torq Locker is available for the P1K I4WD.....only for the Talon and P5

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335
D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

It says this on the site so I would assume that if it says it doesn't need to be disabled, that it CAN ben installed in I4wd systems.

** Note, I-4WD does not need to be disabled to run the TORQ Locker

But the advice you have so far is good, try it without first and see if it meets your needs.

D

Drew S

May 23, 2023
Colorado
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the i4WD vs standard diff until you've put a good number of miles on her. There's no reason to change anything or spend the money unless there is something that YOU have determined you can't live with(out).
True, though 4x4 is like tire traction (especially on a bike)--it's a bad scenario when you find out you need it and don't have it. At least here it's just getting stuck, not low-siding!

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I would agree to ride for a while before you buy something to modify the I4wd.

Deep snow is really the only time I don’t like it.

Here is a video for your viewing pleasure. This was deep with lots of muck on the bottom.

Reactions: Drew S
D

Drew S

May 23, 2023
Colorado
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Hey guys, I’ve made my decision, and you have all been really helpful, and just so friendly to boot! I really appreciate all your help, and different-but-respectful opinions, it’s getting more and more rare to find that on forums these days.

I’m sure I’ll have tons more questions as the farkling begins lol. I appreciate you all! Happy riding!!

And never forget: Rubber side goes DOWN. 😁

Bandman

Bandman

Jul 17, 2021
Hayden Lake, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys, I’ve made my decision, and you have all been really helpful, and just so friendly to boot! I really appreciate all your help, and different-but-respectful opinions, it’s getting more and more rare to find that on forums these days.

I’m sure I’ll have tons more questions as the farkling begins lol. I appreciate you all! Happy riding!!

And never forget: Rubber side goes DOWN. 😁
Good luck with the purchase!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I own both setups and love the i-4wd. I've watched @Adam490 go places a krx on 35 stickys not make it. Plus it doesn't break expensive parts in a bind.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!