2023 Honda Pioneer 1000 Forest/2021 Honda Pioneer 700 comparison notes

widopenspaces

widopenspaces

Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2023
Wellington, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, after selling my 2021 Honda Pioneer 700 one year and 400 miles after purchasing it new off the showroom floor so I could upgrade to the Honda Pioneer 1000 Forest, and doing so, I've finally surpassed the 100 mile service mark, had the service (a $900 service of a brand freaking new machine WTF???), I took my first real ride yesterday and have some observations. The first 100 miles were around the property and helping a friend out at his ranch so no real variety. Yesterday, however, I took a 50-mile ride up into the mountains with a friend of mine to test things out.

Off the top of my head observations a day after that ride:

What a difference in power from the 700. Much more power! I love the paddle shifters and the ability to go from AT to MT at will. I also love the clearance and bigger wheels/tires.

Much more comfortable and roomy in the cab and ironically, quieter. Love the ride.

In steep terrain, there is simply no comparison. The 1000 has much more power and much better compression for the return down the hill. I was constantly on the brakes in the 700 even descending mild inclines.

There is still a good amount of heat that comes up through the seat, however, nothing like the 700 and I love the extra storage under the driver's seat as well as the netting below the dash. Love the interior and exterior bed lights, lighter outlet in the bed and options for additional accessories built into the dashboard.

The dump bed is a beast! I helped my elderly ex-Marine neighbor who cannot lift any more move two pallets of stove pellets from his driveway to his garage last weekend. As a good Marine Drill Seargent would, he very vocally supervised while I moved all of the bags of pellets - a little too vocal at times for a friendly neighbor offering free labor! Anyway, I loaded 25 40lb. bags at a time from the pallets onto the buggy, moved them from the driveway to the garage and offloaded them and hardly even knew they were back there in transit. Lather, rinse, repeat - until the job was done. Small specimen but I was impressed.

Questions:

My buggy is a loud shifter. Has been since I bought it in July and still is after the first service where all systems checked out perfectly. Is that normal on the Pioneer 1000?

There is a different kind of unfamiliar vibration it seems (new to me anyway) when I am going at speeds in the mid-thirties. I never traveled that fast in the 700 other than topping it out a couple times in the low 40's (42) just to see how fast it would go. Yesterday I had a couple occasions to travel a few miles in the mid-thirties and it just seemed like it vibrated a little. Anyone?

Turf Mode - what can you guys tell me about when and if I should be using that other than on grass? Is it for pavement or flat surfaces IE. long ass 55 mph flat Nevada gravel roads?

Overall impression - I've leaned heavily on you all since first purchasing my 700. When I realized I needed something a little more specific to my uses, I did not hesitate after you all gave a thumbs up to the 1000. Thank you! It is exactly what I was looking for and needed and I love it so far! Only 150 miles in, but could not be happier. Would love feedback on my questions above regarding the loud shifting, vibration and turf mode. Thanks again!

Last edited:
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The shifting will smooth out with time. The vibration is probably the stock tires. Consider turf mode as a regular open diff on a car. I run mine in turf mode all the time on pavement and graded dirt roads. I look at the mode shifter as 1 wheel drive, 2 wheel drive, 3 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive. I only shift to 4wd lock when I‘m expecting serious difficulty getting through an area.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome to the 1000 club from Mississippi. What he said ^^^^^^^^^ The shifting noise will quiet down and mine stays in turf mode till the terrain becomes questionable.
#NTC

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I've finally surpassed the 100 mile service mark, had the service (a $900 service of a brand freaking new machine WTF???)
Thats your own fault! Should have looked it up on here first or asked about it here first and you would have found out that you could have done it yourself easily for a fraction of the cost.
There is still a good amount of heat that comes up through the seat,
Again another look up.
The quick shield (a vender here) will take care of that.

Last but not least, Glad u like the P1 over the P7 folks that upgraded never stepped backwards.
That was quite a Novel you wrote there, might be a NY Slime's (Times) best seller :rolleyes: 🤣

widopenspaces

widopenspaces

Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2023
Wellington, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I did service my P7, but I was under the impression that I had to have the first service done at the dealership as not to void the warranty. Was I wrong about that? I will check out the Quick Shield. Probably won't be needing it until next year, though, as we are coming into winter right now and I am thinking doors will be my next purchase and the heat in the wintertime will be welcome.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I did service my P7, but I was under the impression that I had to have the first service done at the dealership as not to void the warranty.
Im Not 100% sure on that? Its required for Generac I know fo sho.
I didn't with my P1 and had warranty work done a few times and it wasn't questioned. On a side note, If id have got that bid for first PM id had called around, that was a rape imo.

Dont forget to hit “reply” or tag someone like @widopenspaces or they wont know you replied to there post ;)

Reactions: Biteme and ChadD
D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did service my P7, but I was under the impression that I had to have the first service done at the dealership as not to void the warranty. Was I wrong about that? I will check out the Quick Shield. Probably won't be needing it until next year, though, as we are coming into winter right now and I am thinking doors will be my next purchase and the heat in the wintertime will be welcome.
The bigger question is what exactly did they do for "first service" ? I did my first service myself, and even getting all the supplies at the dealer, which was still a ripoff, it was $120. The typical first service is the oil change.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
The bigger question is what exactly did they do for "first service" ? I did my first service myself, and even getting all the supplies at the dealer, which was still a ripoff, it was $120. The typical first service is the oil change.
This.
Did they give you a receipt?

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This.
Good point, however a receipt would bear the same weight as their pre delivery check list. They just check every box and tell you you're good to go, pay the cashier on your way out.
When I picked mine up there were several things that made it obvious they did not look very hard at it before calling it good.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Congrats on the upgrade. 👍

You mentioned using it around the property - note that the 1000's don't like a lot of short rides where they don't get up to operating temperatures, that can cause plug fouling. When you start it, leave it running until you're up to two bars.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im Not 100% sure on that? Its required for Generac I know fo sho.
I didn't with my P1 and had warranty work done a few times and it wasn't questioned. On a side note, If id have got that bid for first PM id had called around, that was a rape imo.

Dont forget to hit “reply” or tag someone like @widopenspaces or they wont know you replied to there post ;)
If I remember correctly, car dealers used to try the same thing. Saying you had to use their filters, oil, etc. several were taken to court and it was decided that if there was a warranty claim later it would have to be honored if you could show that the services were completed as recommended by the factory using products that met their spec’s. My P1K5 has never been to the dealer in its 6,000+ miles. The only problems I’ve had have been one overheating event on my first ride and an injector wire intermittent failure. When I had the overheating event, I nursed it home after cool down; called dealer and talked to one of their mechanics; and found that the wiring for the fan was not fully inserted into the electrical connection. Individuals on the forum helped me trouble shoot the injector wire problem and I purchased a replacement pigtail through the forum store.

widopenspaces

widopenspaces

Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2023
Wellington, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This.
Yes, they did give me a receipt. It showed everything they did and checked. However, it did not include the lubricant needed for me not to be sore afterward. It was at Ridezilla in Carson City, Nevada and I still in my mind cannot reconcile the price. It's like a semi load of fries with my freaking burger.

widopenspaces

widopenspaces

Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2023
Wellington, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good point, however a receipt would bear the same weight as their pre delivery check list. They just check every box and tell you you're good to go, pay the cashier on your way out.
When I picked mine up there were several things that made it obvious they did not look very hard at it before calling it good.
This is exactly what I got. They went through, checked all the boxes. It was a six-hour service and according to them, along with changing the DCT oil filter, o-rings and engine oil, they checked valve clearance, idle speed, topped off the coolant, checked all the fluids, brake pads, differential oils, checked and lubed the shift cable, etc. There were notes on the specs like valve clearance, brake pad thickness, reservoirs filled or full, tire psi, etc. All that said, the parts were only $93. The labor is where they bent me over. $820 for 6.08 hours = $135 an hour.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
This is exactly what I got. They went through, checked all the boxes. It was a six-hour service and according to them, along with changing the DCT oil filter, o-rings and engine oil, they checked valve clearance, idle speed, topped off the coolant, checked all the fluids, brake pads, differential oils, checked and lubed the shift cable, etc. There were notes on the specs like valve clearance, brake pad thickness, reservoirs filled or full, tire psi, etc. All that said, the parts were only $93. The labor is where they bent me over. $820 for 6.08 hours = $135 an hour.
fyi - when they bent u over - it was live streamed on you tube.......

live and learn

H

HondaTech

We do first services for 3hrs I believe, so $300 plus parts. And it takes every bit of those 3 hrs to do it right.

widopenspaces

widopenspaces

Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2023
Wellington, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We do first services for 3hrs I believe, so $300 plus parts. And it takes every bit of those 3 hrs to do it right.
That sounds much more reasonable and in the ballpark for what I was expecting. I didn't ask ahead of time and that was my bad. They kind of have the market cornered in that there are only two dealerships in Northern Nevada. Where are you located and what should I be expecting for the second service?

Reactions: PJon and Biteme

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!