Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only 1 model available in Canada. I couldn't tell you the difference between an X or R. I think thats all been available up here is 2 seater X but I could be wrong.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
There’s a R-4 live valve really close by …are they really much better than an x lv ? The difference I see locally is about plus 2k…
Isjxg
Not 💯 on the so talon yet…don’t want the i4wd junk…
The LV's are more prevalent due to shock supplier issues, I've driven an X2-LV and an R4-LV, they do work good but I'm not sold on it being necessarily better. The R4 rode a lot better than my X2 or the X2-LV due to the longer wheel base.

Don't let the i4wd scare you off, is it perfect....NO, but it flat out works awesome 99% of the time. I put the TL in mine but I don't think it's required for most, even the TL has its issues, it's just a trade off

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The LV's are more prevalent due to shock supplier issues, I've driven an X2-LV and an R4-LV, they do work good but I'm not sold on it being necessarily better. The R4 rode a lot better than my X2 or the X2-LV due to the longer wheel base.

Don't let the i4wd scare you off, is it perfect....NO, but it flat out works awesome 99% of the time. I put the TL in mine but I don't think it's required for most, even the TL has its issues, it's just a trade off
Thanks for the x vs r comparison. Compared to the pioneer I’m sure the X is already better in ride and comfort for those all day rides.

For sure going to test ride both.

The I4wd simply isn’t my cup of tea…I’m sure it’s working ok 99% of the time…but so is an open front differential pickup truck.

I want a selectable locker from the factory. For me it’s a negative that the rest of the machine qualities will have to overcome if there’s to be a talon in my stable.

My pioneer isn’t going anywhere…but for sure the sport machine isn’t a lock for being a Honda.

scottkooch

scottkooch

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 26, 2021
SO MN
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
So Mrs Vikes79 has informed me that she wants to do more trail rides BUT not in the P1k5 and our 5’6” and growing daughters aren’t so excited about the Pioneer….so here I am wandering into Talon -4 land.

What took me nearly 4 hours to finally figure out is the the R is slightly bigger than the x and likely is more stable because of it.

Where we go is a mix of open prairie and steep rocks and tight trails…but nothing I’d call super technical.

I get the feeling in reading articles that the -r model is really the better one to have for all situations vs the X …the x seems on the narrow side for a SXS..

There’s a R-4 live valve really close by …are they really much better than an x lv ? The difference I see locally is about plus 2k…

Not 💯 on the talon yet…don’t want the i4wd junk…but honestly I don’t like the other brand sport models either and they all have something I don’t want. KRX-4 is a bus..yxz is crazy goofy looking…etc etc etc.

Wtf Honda …WTH are the full bore Red Talons ?!!!

The color schemes on the Talons are terrible…
I see your located in South Dakota, the R is a wider wheel base which could limit you on trail choice.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see your located in South Dakota, the R is a wider wheel base which could limit you on trail choice.
yeah there are some hills trails that supposedly are width restricted…oddly I still see Krxs on them. 🤷‍♂️

If I go Honda, I don’t think X is all that much less from what I’ve read too. The test ride will tell.

lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X

TL ?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the x vs r comparison. Compared to the pioneer I’m sure the X is already better in ride and comfort for those all day rides.

For sure going to test ride both.

The I4wd simply isn’t my cup of tea…I’m sure it’s working ok 99% of the time…but so is an open front differential pickup truck.

I want a selectable locker from the factory. For me it’s a negative that the rest of the machine qualities will have to overcome if there’s to be a talon in my stable.

My pioneer isn’t going anywhere…but for sure the sport machine isn’t a lock for being a Honda.
We all want a selectable locker but they're becoming less and less standard issue as the mfrs develop their own i4wd type of limited slip.

The X is reputed to ride pretty roughly but I've never been in one. My R rides rough enough, for that reason, if you choose an X, I think the LV is a better choice despite its complexity (and why I didn't buy a LV).

I've been four wheeling one way or another for decades, and a locker has always been the top of the food chain, but I've never had a locker in anything, mostly because of costs 'back then'. You said something to the effect that you aren't an extreme rider and I think the i4wd will work fine for you, it has for me anyway. It's similar to driving a DCT vs a belt - you learn that you don't 'deadstick' an obstacle, you give it a gentle bump. Learn to ride to the machine's capabilities.

After having owned a dual range, 6 speed DCT, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that I'll ever own anything else. Admittedly, the new DCT Canned Ham looks pretty good, but it's priced out of my budget and I hate a 3 cylinder's peaky power band. Same with the YXZ, no down low torque and that's where I spend all my time.

Yamaha's RMAX has shown to be very capable but it's a belt drive, deal killer for me. The KRX, while monstrous and noisy, is very competent, right out of the box, especially the suspension, but also CVT.

Nothing's perfect, pick your preferences, buy what's closest to what you want, learn what it can, and can't, do, enjoy.

Last edited:
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I like to tell people that the Talon is a driver's buggy with the DCT. There are options for however you want to drive. Low/Manual is the ticket for slow, technical terrain. There is a mode that works best for certain terrain. I find the Talon to be such a driver involved buggy that it really makes driving it fun again, like a good old manual clutch sport ATV. My RZR S 1000 was a blast but this Honda is hands down more fun to drive.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We all want a selectable locker but they're becoming less and less standard issue as the mfrs develop their own i4wd type of limited slip.

The X is reputed to ride pretty roughly but I've never been in one. My R rides rough enough, for that reason, if you choose an X, I think the LV is a better choice despite its complexity (and why I didn't buy a LV).

I've been four wheeling one way or another for decades, and a locker has always been the top of the food chain, but I've never had a locker in anything, mostly because of costs 'back then'. You said something to the effect that you aren't an extreme rider and I think the i4wd will work fine for you, it has for me anyway. It's similar to driving a DCT vs a belt - you learn that you don't 'deadstick' an obstacle, you give it a gentle bump. Learn to ride to the machine's capabilities.

After having owned a dual range, 6 speed DCT, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that I'll ever own anything else. Admittedly, the new DCT Canned Ham looks pretty good, but it's priced out of my budget and I hate a 3 cylinder's peaky power band. Same with the YXZ, no down low torque and that's where I spend all my time.

Yamaha's RMAX has shown to be very capable but it's a belt drive, deal killer for me. The KRX, while monstrous and noisy, is very competent, right out of the box, especially the suspension, but also CVT.

Nothing's perfect, pick your preferences, buy what's closest to what you want, learn what it can, and can't, do, enjoy.
the machine I might get will have a different set of priorities than my P1k5.

It will be comfort first, reliability, and performance in that order otherwise there’s zero point in buying it for my family as they simply won’t ride along and it will be a waste of my shop space and $$$.

Honestly a KRX 4 on paper seems to be where I’m leaning.

Really wish the talon was available in full red and had the same option of front differential that the Pioneer has. I have zero complaints on my P1k5 because I had the options.

With the talon it feels like a take it or leave it approach. I’m sure it’s the same with others.

There’s an outside chance that maybe I replace my P1k5 with an Rmax-4 and just have one machine..financially this is by far smarter…

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
the machine I might get will have a different set of priorities than my P1k5.

It will be comfort first, reliability, and performance in that order otherwise there’s zero point in buying it for my family as they simply won’t ride along and it will be a waste of my shop space and $$$.

Honestly a KRX 4 on paper seems to be where I’m leaning.
The KRX definitely has the luxo liner suspension (by reputation) but it's also noisy (again, going by reputation). I understand making the family happy, if they won't go, what's the use? Good luck with your choice.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@Vikes79 drive East about.....16 hrs maybe and I'll let you test drive both back to back (the X is a 2 seater though)

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
So Mrs Vikes79 has informed me that she wants to do more trail rides BUT not in the P1k5 and our 5’6” and growing daughters aren’t so excited about the Pioneer….so here I am wandering into Talon -4 land.

What took me nearly 4 hours to finally figure out is the the R is slightly bigger than the x and likely is more stable because of it.

Where we go is a mix of open prairie and steep rocks and tight trails…but nothing I’d call super technical.

I get the feeling in reading articles that the -r model is really the better one to have for all situations vs the X …the x seems on the narrow side for a SXS..

Not 💯 on the talon yet…don’t want the i4wd junk…but honestly I don’t like the other brand sport models either and they all have something I don’t want. KRX-4 is a bus..yxz is crazy goofy looking…etc etc etc.

Wtf Honda …WTH are the full bore Red Talons ?!!!

The color schemes on the Talons are terrible…

I traded up to a non-live valve X4 from a 2018 Pioneer P1000-3. I was concerned about the I-4wd too initially. But 5000 miles later I am very pleased with Talon. It is not as manueverable as my Pioneer, but it rides so much better. As a resident of Wisconsin, an R4 isnt a viable option due to 65" width regs here.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!