HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Several nice features. Too bad it uses the same cheap and flimsy centrifugal clutch and "ultramatic" rubber band drive system.

It's no competition for a Pioneer or Talon.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Several nice features. Too bad it uses the same cheap and flimsy centrifugal clutch and "ultramatic" rubber band drive system.

It's no competition for a Pioneer or Talon.
You just keep an eye on those flimsy front a arm mounts. JAH

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Your crazy as hell.
When you respond to a statement you don't like with a personal attack you reveal you lack the factual information or verbal skills to dispute the other person's statement.

People who understand motorized vehicles know that a well-designed machine operates at low engine rpm for fuel efficiency and long engine life. Hondas use a transmission with six forward gears to allow the engine to operate at minimum rpm for light throttle cruising to maximize efficiency but instantly downshift to a lower gear for acceleration, hill-climbing, or towing/hauling a load.

OFRs with a centrifugal clutch are simple and inexpensive to manufacture but are an inefficient design. The centrifugal clutch doesn't engage unless the engine is operating at higher rpm wasting fuel and causing premature wear.

It's like driving a drag strip race car with an automatic transmission and high-rpm stall torque converter on the street. A drag car uses a high stall speed converter so the car will launch at 3500 - 5000 rpm which is where drag motors make power. It's the same as the driver holding the clutch pedal down until his engine revs to 5000 rpm before engaging the clutch in a manual transmission car.

The opposite example is a large Class 8 OTR truck tractor. The massive diesel engine in an OTR truck pulls 80,000 lbs. down the highway at 60 - 70mph with the engine loafing at around 1300 rpm for maximum fuel efficiency and engine longevity.

When we moved to WV five years ago I learned about side by sides and trail riding. My grandson has played with them for years and had a nice used Polaris Razor 850 for sale. I drove it once and found the constantly high revving engine annoying.

I learned to drive long ago with manual transmission cars. It is instinctive with my generation to shift up to a higher gear to let the engine relax and operate economically. I would never own and drive anything with a centrifugal clutch. They create an urge in me to shift to a higher gear.

I don't care if you choose a Yamaha or other lesser brand. I wouldn't drive one if you bought it for me.

Reactions: CID and Jerryg
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
When you respond to a statement you don't like with a personal attack you reveal you lack the factual information or verbal skills to dispute the other person's statement.

People who understand motorized vehicles know that a well-designed machine operates at low engine rpm for fuel efficiency and long engine life. Hondas use a transmission with six forward gears to allow the engine to operate at minimum rpm for light throttle cruising to maximize efficiency but instantly downshift to a lower gear for acceleration, hill-climbing, or towing/hauling a load.

OFRs with a centrifugal clutch are simple and inexpensive to manufacture but are an inefficient design. The centrifugal clutch doesn't engage unless the engine is operating at higher rpm wasting fuel and causing premature wear.

It's like driving a drag strip race car with an automatic transmission and high-rpm stall torque converter on the street. A drag car uses a high stall speed converter so the car will launch at 3500 - 5000 rpm which is where drag motors make power. It's the same as the driver holding the clutch pedal down until his engine revs to 5000 rpm before engaging the clutch in a manual transmission car.

The opposite example is a large Class 8 OTR truck tractor. The massive diesel engine in an OTR truck pulls 80,000 lbs. down the highway at 60 - 70mph with the engine loafing at around 1300 rpm for maximum fuel efficiency and engine longevity.

When we moved to WV five years ago I learned about side by sides and trail riding. My grandson has played with them for years and had a nice used Polaris Razor 850 for sale. I drove it once and found the constantly high revving engine annoying.

I learned to drive long ago with manual transmission cars. It is instinctive with my generation to shift up to a higher gear to let the engine relax and operate economically. I would never own and drive anything with a centrifugal clutch. They create an urge in me to shift to a higher gear.

I don't care if you choose a Yamaha or other lesser brand. I wouldn't drive one if you bought it for me.
The battle of which is better will go on forever. Pros and cons to both, whether you like one or the other better is irrelevant.

Granted there are some brands out there that give CVT's a bad reputation.

Those are some terrible analogies. The drag strip and diesel trucking are completely different from riding in the woods.

If you were given a Yamaha and didn't drive it, that would make you lose out on experience.

Reactions: Backwoods
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The battle of which is better will go on forever. Pros and cons to both, whether you like one or the other better is irrelevant.

Granted there are some brands out there that give CVT's a bad reputation.

Those are some terrible analogies. The drag strip and diesel trucking are completely different from riding in the woods.

If you were given a Yamaha and didn't drive it, that would make you lose out on experience.

You apparently learned to drive a car with an automatic transmission (or you are simply not mechanically inclined). If you understand the relationship between engines, horsepower and torque, transmissions, loads, and road speed you would understand my analogies.

As I wrote above, I have experienced a centrifugal clutch and CVTs. A Yamaha/Polaris/Can-Am/ etc. DOES NOT have a CVT. A CVT is, once again, an entirely different device.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
You apparently learned to drive a car with an automatic transmission (or you are simply not mechanically inclined). If you understand the relationship between engines, horsepower and torque, transmissions, loads, and road speed you would understand my analogies.

As I wrote above, I have experienced a centrifugal clutch and CVTs. A Yamaha/Polaris/Can-Am/ etc. DOES NOT have a CVT. A CVT is, once again, an entirely different device. I think you get your information from advertising hype.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

As I wrote above, I have experienced a centrifugal clutch and CVTs. A Yamaha/Polaris/Can-Am/ etc. DOES NOT have a CVT. A CVT is, once again, an entirely different device.
Lol, you couldn't be more wrong about my experience and mechanical understanding. And no, the first vehicle I learned to drive on was a delivery vehicle with a manual trans.

Since we have gone down the rabbit hole of crazy, do you not understand that the centrifugal clutch is part of Ultramatic transmision?

Reactions: Backwoods and JayPo
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Stop wasting your time @Jerryg...

Beltfear

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Lol, you couldn't be more wrong about my experience and mechanical understanding. And no, the first vehicle I learned to drive on was a delivery vehicle with a manual trans.

Since we have gone down the rabbit hole of crazy, do you not understand that the centrifugal clutch is part of Ultramatic transmision?
There you go again giving me the Yamaha advertising hype. I say again, the Yamaha you posted about DOES NOT have a CVT.

Some models of small Japanese cars use a continually variable transmission. Car enthusiasts hate them. The CVT continually varies the output shaft speed in relation to input speed.

A centrifugal clutch does not vary input to output speed ratio. A centrifugal clutch grabs at a designed rpm and remains "engaged." Output shaft speed varies with input speed.

That goofy box of shafts and gears used by Yamaha is designed to provide a connection between engine and rear wheels when throttle is lifted which stated another way is to provide a semblance of engine breaking instead of free-wheeling.

Why don't you ask Yamaha why they don't simply provide a version of the DCT ss Honda does?

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
There you go again giving me the Yamaha advertising hype. I say again, the Yamaha you posted about DOES NOT have a CVT.

Some models of small Japanese cars use a continually variable transmission. Car enthusiasts hate them. The CVT continually varies the output shaft speed in relation to input speed.

A centrifugal clutch does not vary input to output speed ratio. A centrifugal clutch grabs at a designed rpm and remains "engaged." Output shaft speed varies with input speed.

That goofy box of shafts and gears used by Yamaha is designed to provide a connection between engine and rear wheels when throttle is lifted which stated another way is to provide a semblance of engine breaking instead of free-wheeling.

Why don't you ask Yamaha why they don't simply provide a version of the DCT ss Honda does?
I get what you are saying. That's why Yamaha calls it an Ultramatic Transmission, but using the term "CVT" makes it understandable for the average human. And is derived from the CVT, so you don't like the C?

So, what you are arguing about is semantics.

Reactions: Backwoods
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I get what you are saying. That's why Yamaha calls it an Ultramatic Transmission, but using the term "CVT" makes it understandable for the average human. And is derived from the CVT, so you don't like the C?

So, what you are arguing about is semantics.
Not at all.

A CVT is a specific device. Google it and learn.

Yamaha can't" even come up with an original name for their products. Ultramatic" is the silly name used by Packard for the Borg-Warner three-speed automatic transmission installed in their cars back in the 1950s. The Packard was an upscale automobile similar to a Cadillac or Lincoln that closed in the late '50s.

• Haha
Reactions: Jerryg
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Not at all.

Yamaha can't" even come up with an original name for their products. Ultramatic" is the silly name used by Packard for the Borg-Warner three-speed automatic transmission installed in their cars back in the 1950s. The Packard was an upscale automobile similar to a Cadillac or Lincoln that closed in the late '50s.
I am enjoying this convo, but you sir are one eccentric mo-fo.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Not at all.

But it is a variable type transmission, correct?

Is it safe to cal it a VT?

Would that be OK?

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yamaha or Honda or any Japanese manufacturer would not answer a question like that nor do they take any advice from Americans.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve ridden with a few of those Wolverine 700s and I can tell you that they are durable machines. I don’t think you can go wrong for the money. I’d want more power but in reality for most people it’s all you need.

Reactions: Jerryg
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The DCT isn’t the he standard, several machines that run belts can out perform the DCT’s.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!