P1000 22 P1000-3 Under seat fan FYI

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I wanted to share my under seat cooling fan install for the 22 P1000-3. The biggest fan that I could fit was a Derale 16105 5" Diameter H.O. Extreme Electric Fan. The fan is rated at 315 cfm. It's water proof, dust proof (rated IP68). The only issue during the install was the loss of under seat storage in the mid section. Very quiet can't really hear it when the motor is running.

I got this idea from you guys. It's awesome !!!! Started out with a bilge fan. That did not work as well as this fan.

Best of luck !

Rudy

IMG 20220729 132304921

Last edited:
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only negative, at least IMO, is the use of a U-bolt for the mount - it puts all the clamping stress on a very small surface area of the longitudinal brace tube. In some other installs you can see the crushed tubing in places (it's thin wall tubing, though I don't know how thin). One approach might be to use some suitable split tube to slide under the U-bolt to distribute the load. Another alternative, still easy to fabricate, would be to drill 4 holes in the mount, two on each side of that tube, spaced suitably apart, then use two stainless steel hose clamps passed through the hole on one side of the tube then up on the other.

If you have welding available, then split tubing, (I used a bit of conduit), attached to the bracket is easy and secure. Also no fuss to remove for service access:

20211210 212543

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Only negative, at least IMO, is the use of a U-bolt for the mount - it puts all the clamping stress on a very small surface area of the longitudinal brace tube. In some other installs you can see the crushed tubing in places (it's thin wall tubing, though I don't know how thin). One approach might be to use some suitable split tube to slide under the U-bolt to distribute the load. Another alternative, still easy to fabricate, would be to drill 4 holes in the mount, two on each side of that tube, spaced suitably apart, then use two stainless steel hose clamps passed through the hole on one side of the tube then up on the other.

If you have welding available, then split tubing, (I used a bit of conduit), attached to the bracket is easy and secure. Also no fuss to remove for service access:

View attachment 346301
Ive had a Ubolt on mine with a similar set up like yours since 16’ thought like u did when I did it but and its been to hell and back over 5k miles with no problems. I think ill leave it. 😂

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wanted to share my under seat cooling fan install for the 22 P1000-3. The biggest fan that I could fit was a Derale 16105 5" Diameter H.O. Extreme Electric Fan. The fan is rated at 315 cfm. It's water proof, dust proof (rated IP68). The only issue during the install was the loss of under seat storage in the mid section. Very quiet can't really hear it when the motor is running.

I got this idea from you guys. It's awesome !!!! Started out with a bilge fan. That did not work as well as this fan.

Best of luck !

Rudy

View attachment 346227
That panel in the center under the seat is not intended for storage. It's intended for air flow to allow an air gap between the seat the the panel. Air flow under the seat allows for significantly better cooling capacity than previous methods of insulation which transfer heat through surface contact. I'd try to figure out a way to put the panel back in and retain the barrier/heat shield and keep the air gap.

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I used a fan recommended by another forum member. Amazon type... Derale 16105 5" Diameter H.O. Extreme Electric Fan , Black

I like the fact that it waterproof (Rated IP68).

Best of luck !

Rudy

Reactions: brettc
P

pvkj454

Jul 21, 2022
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used a fan recommended by another forum member. Amazon type... Derale 16105 5" Diameter H.O. Extreme Electric Fan , Black

I like the fact that it waterproof (Rated IP68).

Best of luck !

Rudy

Does the fan help with the hot air coming from the seat belt openings? I did the DEI heat shield kit which helped a little but still get a lot of hot air from the seat belt openings.

Reactions: WagginTail
Z

zandroid

Jan 12, 2019
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Does the fan help with the hot air coming from the seat belt openings? I did the DEI heat shield kit which helped a little but still get a lot of hot air from the seat belt openings.
I have a fan under the seat of my 18 P1000. It helps quite a bit. I’ll see if I can post a pic or the thread I followed. I know it’s an 8” radiator fan.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes. The seat belt openings on the passenger side have a ton of heat coming through. The fan and quick shield removes the heat. The metal seatbelt brackets on mine are cool too the touch now

Z

zandroid

Jan 12, 2019
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have mine installed exactly like this poster did. No drilling. Just using existing mounting points from Honda and a clamp on a frame rail. I used some flat aluminum angle I had laying around for the brackets similar to that poster. You will need a longer bolt to use the same bracket/attachment point as the other piece of equipment Honda (not sure what it is, looks like a plastic bladder) already has mounted under the seat (where the long aluminum bracket is attached). You'll need to measure the diameter of the center metal frame rail to attach the insulated clamp onto it. I can't remember the size, but it will be metric. Just have to get the closest imperial size.

That whole thread has some good info in it. Push vs pull on the fans, some wiring instructions, and bilge vs radiator fans. I think the radiator moves more air.

I have the same radiator fan as the poster, they are available on Amazon or eBay around $25. If I replace it, I will probably look for a water/dust proof one. I have to hit mine with QD Electric Cleaner every now and then to keep it running correctly. I have partially submerged mine without problems. It's in dust more than moisture.

One more thread about fans that has some more info. I'm linking to same poster as before, but it's a different thread. This may have a little more info about how he did the install. I did it about two years ago. Most used mod I have done to the Pioneer. I have a switch on the dash for it.

Last edited:
NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Best of luck !

Rudy

View attachment 346227
Rudy,
I installed the same fan in my 22 trail edition. Did you use one of the "spare" dash switches? I had the heater installed so I have the accessory fuse block. I was hoping to use the factory switch for the seat fan, but not sure how the switch is wired to the accessory fuse block

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I had the heater installed
Let us know how that does when its cold this winter. They supposedly made it better than the old one. the old one couldn't luke warm up a cup of water

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The 2 seat Talons have a ton of opening behind the seats, I taped mine shut. Not sure if that's possible on the Pioneers?

The openings are right in front of the exhaust on the passenger side shown here.
I bNBZQnx XL

I used aluminum duct tape because that's what I had -
I zWb9SRT XL

It's a PITA, dozens of small pieces to cover all the odd shaped openings. This was just the passenger side.
I dFdzNbb XL

Reactions: pvkj454
NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let us know how that does when its cold this winter. They supposedly made it better than the old one. the old one couldn't luke warm up a cup of water
The heater has twice the air flow my 2021 P700 had. It has a defrost mounted up high on the dash which gets rid of the morning dew from the cooler nights. It has a cold air return duct on the driver and passenger sides. The fact that it also has a selectable temperature control makes me think it has decent heat output. I'll confirm it in a few months

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The heater has twice the air flow my 2021 P700 had. It has a defrost mounted up high on the dash which gets rid of the morning dew from the cooler nights. It has a cold air return duct on the driver and passenger sides. The fact that it also has a selectable temperature control makes me think it has decent heat output. I'll confirm it in a few months
Its all about capacity and proper duct placement in my trade. Good to see some return ducts Although shouldn't be necessary in the application. Will be waiting to see how much its improved

Reactions: Rayger143

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!