P1000m5 Engine Heat - Good or Bad?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Any color besides pink? Nevermind.... I've said too much already. Just kidding. I couldn't resist.
C'mon guys!!! A 12" wouldn't fit so he's gonna try a 7"? You stepped in it! ( but I an just kidding lol!) Thanks for the suggestion. I may explore that option. Everything I've tried so far has been unsatisfactory.

Reactions: zin01 and AZhunter
Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bahaha It's red I swear......
Has anyone used a temperature gun to see what the temperature under front seat gets? Our local menards has foil covered bubble wrap sold in rolls but can only withstand 180 degrees. So don't know if I could use this for a heat barrier.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Has anyone used a temperature gun to see what the temperature under front seat gets? Our local menards has foil covered bubble wrap sold in rolls but can only withstand 180 degrees. So don't know if I could use this for a heat barrier.
Ohhhh... I wouldn't use that. It's too close to the head. You might burn it down. Stand by and I'll post the part # of what I used. It's designed for automotive use near engines and exhaust. 2000 degree rating.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ohhhh... I wouldn't use that. It's too close to the head. You might burn it down. Stand by and I'll post the part # of what I used. It's designed for automotive use near engines and exhaust. 2000 degree rating.
Thermo-Tec part # 14125. 48" x 72" two sided foil insulation. Flame retardant. Blocks 90% heat at 1500 degrees. I put it from the frame around the seat all the way up to the top of the backrest. (I have a 1000-3, not 1000-5). One piece with only slits cut for the seat belts and seat latches/pins. It really works well and it quiets down that tranny screech. Use scissores to cut it. A utility just gathers the fibers and doesn't cut.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thermo-Tec part # 14125. 48" x 72" two sided foil insulation. Flame retardant. Blocks 90% heat at 1500 degrees. I put it from the frame around the seat all the way up to the top of the backrest. (I have a 1000-3, not 1000-5). One piece with only slits cut for the seat belts and seat latches/pins. It really works well and it quiets down that tranny screech. Use scissores to cut it. A utility just gathers the fibers and doesn't cut.
$55.55 on Amazon.

WHITEP1K5

WHITEP1K5

Apr 7, 2017
WEST VIRGINIA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
C'mon guys!!! A 12" wouldn't fit so he's gonna try a 7"? You stepped in it! ( but I an just kidding lol!) Thanks for the suggestion. I may explore that option. Everything I've tried so far has been unsatisfactory.
Never had that problem before......guess there's always a fir
7" is all I got to work with, if I had more I would be in a different industry of work lmao

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here's my solution to the heat, everyone else is trying a bilge fan figured I would try a differentsetup ( I doubt I'm the first) It's a 7" fan I'll try to get it installed and try it out in the next couple days. But I will say I tried a 12" fan and it would not fit.

View attachment 46343
I have one bilge fan blowing straight down the center and I think I'm going to add a fan like thus under the passenger seat. I have the foil wrap and foam u der my seat. It's been In the 90s all week. I got pissed and took my 1/4 windshield off as well as ALL of the plastic under the box. (P1K3) the heat is much better but this isn't my long term solution.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was on a short ride last night after dark. When I got back I pulled the hood off to see how warm it was. Everything under the hood was 105-117 degrees. That's hotter than I expected!!

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was on a short ride last night after dark. When I got back I pulled the hood off to see how warm it was. Everything under the hood was 105-117 degrees. That's hotter than I expected!!

I'd love to relocate the radiator to somewhere behind the cab. Not only because of the hot air through blasting through the shifter slots and steering column, but to keep the dash itself from getting so hot. I had my iPhone in the upper dash slot and it got so hot it overheated! It had a message 'iPhone must cool down before use" or something to that effect. I never knew an iPhone could overheat!! But the phone was HOT from the radiator heat blowing inside that dash.

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
I'd love to relocate the radiator to somewhere behind the cab. Not only because of the hot air through blasting through the shifter slots and steering column, but to keep the dash itself from getting so hot. I had my iPhone in the upper dash slot and it got so hot it overheated! It had a message 'iPhone must cool down before use" or something to that effect. I never knew an iPhone could overheat!! But the phone was HOT from the radiator heat blowing inside that dash.

If you figure out a good place that will work to relocate the radiator and doesn't mess with the back 2 seats let me know. Also yeah the iPhone will give you that message. It does it to me all the time if I leave in in my truck or out in the sun for a little while it will say that. Just let it cool down and it's all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you figure out a good place that will work to relocate the radiator and doesn't mess with the back 2 seats let me know. Also yeah the iPhone will give you that message. It does it to me all the time if I leave in in my truck or out in the sun for a little while it will say that. Just let it cool down and it's all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This might be a ridiculous idea but I thought about "building" a radiator out of copper tubing. Just run copper pipe back and forth under the bed with 180 degree u-turns at the ends. Take off and return to existing hoses. It would hold a lot more coolant and have more surface area. Plus it would be tougher to puncture with sticks and easier to clean for the deep mudder types. But I dunno... It would have to be tested with an engine temperature guage in place to monitor it. No fan. Just let it cool by convection. Meh...Just dreamin.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This might be a ridiculous idea but I thought about "building" a radiator out of copper tubing. Just run copper pipe back and forth under the bed with 180 degree u-turns at the ends. Take off and return to existing hoses. It would hold a lot more coolant and have more surface area. Plus it would be tougher to puncture with sticks and easier to clean for the deep mudder types. But I dunno... It would have to be tested with an engine temperature guage in place to monitor it. No fan. Just let it cool by convection. Meh...Just dreamin.
I don't think it could cool fast enough. You would need a lot of copper. Probably add over two hundred lbs after all said and done with extra fluids. Those thousands of little fins in a radiator increase the surface area by cubic s*** loads squared.

Usually copper is used as a bridge between metals because it has excellent thermal conductivity. It's not used completely because of costs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: elkaholic
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Here's my solution to the heat, everyone else is trying a bilge fan figured I would try a differentsetup ( I doubt I'm the first) It's a 7" fan I'll try to get it installed and try it out in the next couple days. But I will say I tried a 12" fan and it would not fit.

View attachment 46343
I got this fan for my heater build. Works great. Moves air better than the bilge but is also louder

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: WHITEP1K5
TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 42343 View attachment 42342 I drilled some holes in my air filter housing cover. I haven't ridden much but it seems better. I had talked to my dealer about the heat and was told Honda is recommending removing the cover. I removed mine but decided to drill the holes and reinstall after realizing the coils were out in the open with the cover removed.
I own a P1000-3 and I removed the cover that you are referring to and the heat was 10 times worse with it off. I am running a roof, full windshield opened as far as it will open (Honda Windshield),Hard rear panel. I rode with the cover on then came home and took it off leaving all other variables the same. Drove the same speed and took the same route through the same terrain. I can say with my setup removing that cover is a no no. Heat was pouring in from places that I have never felt get hot before. The holes around the shifters in the dash were puking out more hot air than ever before and the air coming out of them was hotter than before. Not to mention when I was done riding I felt the bed to see if having the cover off would heat it up and I can tell you If I rode around for long with the cover off I believe that it would melt or warp the bed. You could not leave your hand on it for long after riding with the cover off. With cover on the bed gets warm not hot. Maybe drilling the holes is the better way to go. Let me know how yours does when you get a chance to ride it .

WHITEP1K5

WHITEP1K5

Apr 7, 2017
WEST VIRGINIA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got some time to install my fan, haven't got it wired yet. I made a couple brackets myself, I studied on it for a while on how to mount it without drilling holes or welding on anything. I noticed my fan blew better out of the side with the guard, I flipped than fan blade around and now it blows better out of the open side. May give some ideas to others but I credit @CumminsPusher for the idea.

IMG 0280 IMG 0281

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Finally got some time to install my fan, haven't got it wired yet. I made a couple brackets myself, I studied on it for a while on how to mount it without drilling holes or welding on anything. I noticed my fan blew better out of the side with the guard, I flipped than fan blade around and now it blows better out of the open side. May give some ideas to others but I credit @CumminsPusher for the idea.

View attachment 46614 View attachment 46615
Glad to see this fix btw damn nice choice on color! Little jelly here nice find on the red, great job! :)

Last edited:

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I own a P1000-3 and I removed the cover that you are referring to and the heat was 10 times worse with it off. I am running a roof, full windshield opened as far as it will open (Honda Windshield),Hard rear panel. I rode with the cover on then came home and took it off leaving all other variables the same. Drove the same speed and took the same route through the same terrain. I can say with my setup removing that cover is a no no. Heat was pouring in from places that I have never felt get hot before. The holes around the shifters in the dash were puking out more hot air than ever before and the air coming out of them was hotter than before. Not to mention when I was done riding I felt the bed to see if having the cover off would heat it up and I can tell you If I rode around for long with the cover off I believe that it would melt or warp the bed. You could not leave your hand on it for long after riding with the cover off. With cover on the bed gets warm not hot. Maybe drilling the holes is the better way to go. Let me know how yours does when you get a chance to ride it .
Hmmm... Interesting. I hadn't taken my shields off until after I installed my own two-sided foil insulation. The insulation itself helped tremendously but I wanted to see if removing those pieces would let some extra engine heat outside of the cab. I hadn't checked bed temp after removal but I may reinstall them. It's tolerable with foil insulation between cab and engine. If the bed gets that hot it'll probably make it brittle over time. Thanks for the heads up!

Sweetroll

Sweetroll

Oct 12, 2016
Boise, ID
www.mh-solutions.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 46343

Is that fan design specifically for dusty, wet applications? Where did you get it? Hopefully it works well - probably easier than installing ducting and cutting a hole in the bottom of the machine.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 46343
I look forward to your results with the this fan idea.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!