P1000m5 Engine Heat - Good or Bad?

UKNB

UKNB

Apr 18, 2017
Fredericton NB Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm new to SxSs and reading a lot about heat radiating up from the engine creating a lot of heat around seat, legs and feet in the SxSs of today. I'm thinking that may be a good thing during cold weather running? Can you feel warmth from the engine during cold weather?

I have a new 1000-5 LE coming next week and I'm reading about summer running and heat from engines on warm days. Is it a common mod for users to add heat shields? Is it a low speed issue? Or at normal running speeds is it the same experience?

Saw a posting here about a reversible ducted fan in the engine compartment. Neat idea.

Reactions: Shannon840
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Hot running slow or fast. The 17 model might be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: UKNB
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Heat shields are a fairly simple mod and can be removed for the winter. Check it out for yourself and you may not mind it. But if you do, we got your back.

17d08ef902ce1f151d6882453acf055e

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
I think the 17 model comes with a heat shield under the seat.

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
The heat under the seat is an issue but the air thru the shifters is VERY BAD both when trying to stay warn or cool. In the winter the air comming thru the shifter is cold and more air than the heater puts out. Summer is burning hot. I hope Honda has a fix by now

Reactions: AZhunter and UKNB
J

Jshell3

I think the 17 model comes with a heat shield under the seat.

It's really not much of an upgrade. Like a wide rubber inner-tube stretched across the width of the seat.

Like the under the driver's seat on a 16, all the way across tho.

Reactions: Shannon840 and UKNB
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Most of us have added seat heat shield and a blower motor ( boat bulge pump ). All SXS have heat from the motor. Ride and have fun.

Reactions: Jshell3 and UKNB
J

Jshell3

Where did you get this big sheet?

@Bayouownbeer sells them, precut and measured. Easy install. Like $30.
That what I did. P1000m5 - BIG BLUE <-- click that for pics!
It's not a "big sheet", tho but still quiets down the motor and seals up the heat nicely.

I also installed an Atwood 4" bilge blower. And pointed it right at the exhaust pipe. Put it on a switch. P1000m5 - BIG BLUE <--- click that for MORE pics!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nipper and JTW
AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The heat under the seat is an issue but the air thru the shifters is VERY BAD both when trying to stay warn or cool. In the winter the air comming thru the shifter is cold and more air than the heater puts out. Summer is burning hot. I hope Honda has a fix by now
You are exactly right! I get a TON of heat through the shifter and steering column holes. I've worked a lot to fix heat coming up from engine now I gotta figure out how to fix the holes in the dash to block heat from the radiator. I'm trying to like my P1k but sometimes I think, what an expensive POS! Really Honda? During the development you didn't notice the hot air blowing out the holes on the dash? I've called honda many times about the heat issues. I pretty much get the same story, "we are aware of the problem and we are addressing it". Not sure it they mean they're addressing it for future models or gonna fix the 2016/17's? What a POS. Wish I would have waited a few years this thing has too many other issues as well. Very disappointed in Honda.

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are exactly right! I get a TON of heat through the shifter and steering column holes. I've worked a lot to fix heat coming up from engine now I gotta figure out how to fix the roles in the dash to block heat from the radiator. I'm trying to like my P1k but sometimes I think what an expensive POS! Really honda? You didn't notice the hot air blowing out the holes on the dash during the developement? I've called honda many times about the heat issues. I pretty much get the same story, "we are aware of the problem and we are addressing it". Not sure it they mean they address it for future models or gonna fix the 2016/17's? What a POS. Wish I would have waited a few years this thing has too many other issues as well. Very disappointed in honda.

I noticed the heat from the shifters on my 700 and on my 1000, a LOT more when the windshield is still on which when it's on the extra bit of warm air is nice. Which for me is only during the late fall, winter, and early spring, or if I know it's going to be raining then it's just the windshield not the full cab. I have a BugBuster on the way for the rest of the time.

Because of the heat on my 700 and having the glass windshield as part of my light mounts. I set my 1000 up so with 7 quick clamps and one connector I can remove or install the glass windshield. I got the fabric mid-panel and soft doors so they were easier to remove and install. I can take the whole cab off in about 15 mins. Takes about 20 to get it on because you have to line things up and wiggle it past the @joeymt33 mounted corner lights. Which I'm going to move to the front bumper just for this reason.

Probably not all that much measurably cooler, but feels MUCH MUCH MUCH cooler because of the airflow. The windshield creates a dead air space behind it if you have the mid-panel which you need for dust.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
IMG 1755
IMG 1754
I drilled some holes in my air filter housing cover. I haven't ridden much but it seems better. I had talked to my dealer about the heat and was told Honda is recommending removing the cover. I removed mine but decided to drill the holes and reinstall after realizing the coils were out in the open with the cover removed.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 42343 View attachment 42342 I drilled some holes in my air filter housing cover. I haven't ridden much but it seems better. I had talked to my dealer about the heat and was told Honda is recommending removing the cover. I removed mine but decided to drill the holes and reinstall after realizing the coils were out in the open with the cover removed.

Did you add that piece of rubber at the bottom of the housing cover?

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 42343 View attachment 42342 I drilled some holes in my air filter housing cover. I haven't ridden much but it seems better. I had talked to my dealer about the heat and was told Honda is recommending removing the cover. I removed mine but decided to drill the holes and reinstall after realizing the coils were out in the open with the cover removed.

That seems almost to simple and easy. Any other effects that you've noticed?

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nothing I've found, like I mentioned my dealer recommended removing the cover. My reasoning (flawed or not) knowing that heat rises is tyhat the cover is a good duct and the heat comes out around the seat. This probably isn't the answer but IMO it helps.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!