P500 28,29 or 30

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
I've got to pull the winter tires off soon. Going to take advantage of my '15's tractor gearing, clutch springs and aftermarket shocks. Some nice radial choices nowadays in these sizes. Bighorns, Vipers, Blackwater Evos. Wondering at these sizes how much the ride quality will suffer if I go to some light and easy to maintain14x7 rims I got a lead on. 12" choices are limited to 28x10 BH and Evo's and 30x10 Evo's(heavy 36lbs). 14's open up more choices in 29 and 30's. 29x9 Vipers(30lbs a little more aggresive), 30x10 BH(30lbs), Evos(34lbs) or even wider Evos in a 28x11 to minimize the effects of taller rim. Waiting for trigger's forward arm report also. Good idea.Approach angle will be noticeable. I'm usta what people call tippy. I call it nimble. I have 2" rear spacers.

Reactions: trigger and Isaiah
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I would keep a few things in mind, you still dont have enough wheel speed to clear mud outta the tires so I would look at an open tread pattern if you ride near mud. If you do a lot of hard pack then I cant comment. I have a 15 with 30" interco's R-Force Agricultural tractor tire and like them. I have seen 50mph gps (and using a speedo next to me on a stock quad) once on flat road once when they were new, but since these are not round when on a 12" rim it was silly and dangerous. With that said I can climb vertically and have never felt a lack of torque.

Reactions: Isaiah
S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
I've mentioned here before that I really like the 30x8x12 Intercos. Mounted on four 12x6 front rims. Crawling pizza-cutters. Terrain I run is a lot bit of everything year round. I've had to adapt to the 'no wheel speed' of a P5 coming from a 'go fast' rig. Like runnin an old flat fender. Finding technical 49" crap is way more fun....

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I've got to pull the winter tires off soon. Going to take advantage of my '15's tractor gearing, clutch springs and aftermarket shocks. Some nice radial choices nowadays in these sizes. Bighorns, Vipers, Blackwater Evos. Wondering at these sizes how much the ride quality will suffer if I go to some light and easy to maintain14x7 rims I got a lead on. 12" choices are limited to 28x10 BH and Evo's and 30x10 Evo's(heavy 36lbs). 14's open up more choices in 29 and 30's. 29x9 Vipers(30lbs a little more aggresive), 30x10 BH(30lbs), Evos(34lbs) or even wider Evos in a 28x11 to minimize the effects of taller rim. Waiting for trigger's forward arm report also. Good idea.Approach angle will be noticeable. I'm usta what people call tippy. I call it nimble. I have 2" rear spacers.

Exactly why I went with the BH 2.0's... had to fit a 12" wheel because I'm not going back to the wobble box days. Bouncing through the rocks on 14's would be torture, more rubber means more contortion and grip through uneven terrain. Didn't want 30's because I'd have to spread it out too far for the stability I want and they'd be heavy. Seems like the stiff rubber tires don't float through sand very well either. All personal preference though.
A arms are on, still have to hook up the tie rod extensions and align. Gotta come up with something for fastening the brake lines. Also have to hack on my a arm guards to make them work on these. So far it looks like I've gained 5/8" in the rear, 1 1/8" in front, lost an inch in width I'm at 55" and definitely pushed the tires out front more. Approach angle looks promising.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
A arms are on, still have to hook up the tie rod extensions and align. Gotta come up with something for fastening the brake lines. Also have to hack on my a arm guards to make them work on these. So far it looks like I've gained 5/8" in the rear, 1 1/8" in front, lost an inch in width I'm at 55" and definitely pushed the tires out front more. Approach angle looks promising.
I am out of the loop on that, do you have a thread on what you are doing?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I am out of the loop on that, do you have a thread on what you are doing?

No thread yet, probably should...posted here though.

Reactions: Mudwing
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’ve really been happy with my BH 2.0’s

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Went up this weekend and swapped the tires and rims from my Big Bear to the P5. 28x10x12's and 28x12x12's Mud Lites on ITP Magnums(6lbs). Front rims are 4-3 and rear are 2-5. Ran em at 7psi. I consider them more of an ATV tire from the days of no SXS. No noticeable power loss. First gear crawling thru a climbing,rock, stump, slash yard was fine. Squirrelly and floaty on the long runs in deep snow. I was rubbing trees bashing thru my non-trails with the wide rears on 2-5s. The center of the tire is in line with the fender. 58" is probably too wide but crazy stable. Fun experiment!

Reactions: 500oneer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!