32's on a Talon x4

S

stonerdd

Nov 16, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Went out yesterday riding and hit a few rocks pretty hard (riding in the Ozarks - hills, trails, creeks, etc). I have factory tires/rims (28's) and need to get some lift and the "easiest" option is larger tires. I've come to the conclusion that 32's make the most sense but have some questions. I would like to use my factory rims (sorry, I like the look and I am cheap and don't want to spend money on new rims if I don't have to) and put on 32-10-15's on my Talon X4. A couple of questions:

1) For those who are running those tires, do you add rim spacers?
2) Are you running the factory A Arms or did you install a forward offset A Arm? I am not an agressive driver but we do some hill and rock climbing in Ozarks.

Just curious if I need other mods if go with 32's and how those tires may look on 2 different sized rims.
Thanks

jrs8353

jrs8353

Jan 16, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I've got a 2020 Talon 1000x-4 and have ridden it for a year now all stock. Been talking with the dealer about how to move up without busting the budget and their position was to install 16" MSA wheels and 30x8.5-16 EFX Motohavok tires and that's the max I could run without a portal lift or off set a-arms.

SuperATV has the Intimidator tire that comes 34x10.5-15 & ITP makes the Cryptid in a 32x10-15 so I'm thinking another option would be to install one of these on the stock wheels with the superatv high clearance 1.5" offset a-arms which states a 34" tire can be used. This option would gain an additional 2"-4" of tire height at basically the same price since wheels aren't being purchased.

Anyone know if this setup would require wheel spacers also or if it would work going that simple?
Would also love to hear feedback on the Motohavok vs Intimidator vs Cryptid mud performance, we ride in the southeast so its nothing but deep mud we're hitting.

jrs8353

jrs8353

Jan 16, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Motohavok comparison
Motohavok front
Motohavok rear

Intimidator
ITP cryptid
Offset a arms

Reactions: toddvdh and Mudwing
jrs8353

jrs8353

Jan 16, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Haven't done anything yet, still trying to decide and would love some feedback on tire performance between those 3 if anyone has any. 34" Intimidators would be the heaviest, 30" Motohavoks would be the narrowest and 32" Cryptid would be the cheapest.

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'd be concerned with the DCT bog with 34" tires unless you're planning on IGR (internal gear reduction).

I experienced it at 25:30 with 30" tires (at 8000’) if you don't know about it. It also shows up when driving in mud (where I first saw it).

Last edited:
Reactions: ohanacreek
jrs8353

jrs8353

Jan 16, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
So an update here I ended up going with the 32" IPT Cryptids on the stock 15" wheels with no spacers or offset A-arms.
They scrub some at a full turn, ride really choppy at low speed on hard pack and I definitely lost some low end torque when getting down in the deep mud.
Thinking the torque issue may be caused by more power being needed to get them turning once stopped due to the treads being so much deeper than the stock tires. Is this where a gear reduction would help with either IGR or portals?
Next step i think is the get the forward offset A-arms to give the front wheels some more clearance and stop the scrub and maybe small wheel spacers in the rear because the treads are really close to the lower bracket the shock mounts to. Got to get extended mud flaps as well because those Cryptids are slinging everything way to high!
Also got the super ATV winch mount and black ops 6000 lbs. winch but didn't have to use it yet, had to rerun the rope through the upper guide bar on the winch though so that it wouldn't scrub the lower edge of the bumper and fray.

Tire comparison ITP cryptid ITP cryptid installed Troy 2 20 21

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
So an update here I ended up going with the 32" IPT Cryptids on the stock 15" wheels with no spacers or offset A-arms.
They scrub some at a full turn, ride really choppy at low speed on hard pack and I definitely lost some low end torque when getting down in the deep mud.
Thinking the torque issue may be caused by more power being needed to get them turning once stopped due to the treads being so much deeper than the stock tires. Is this where a gear reduction would help with either IGR or portals?
Next step i think is the get the forward offset A-arms to give the front wheels some more clearance and stop the scrub and maybe small wheel spacers in the rear because the treads are really close to the lower bracket the shock mounts to. Got to get extended mud flaps as well because those Cryptids are slinging everything way to high!
Also got the super ATV winch mount and black ops 6000 lbs. winch but didn't have to use it yet, had to rerun the rope through the upper guide bar on the winch though so that it wouldn't scrub the lower edge of the bumper and fray.

View attachment 260248 View attachment 260249 View attachment 260250
Yep. The Talon idles at 1500 rpm and the clutch engages at 1800 rpm, there simply isn't any torque down there anyway and larger (taller) tires increase the lever arm that the gearing has to work against.

It's a relatively common happening with the DCT and the nature of the beast. For the curious, I catch it on video at 25:15

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Is this where a gear reduction would help with either IGR or portals?
This is my dilemma climbing in the Rockies. I went to 30” (actual measurement 30.5”) tires and between elevation and larger tires it lacks the low end. But I don’t think it’s a power issue at 106 hp., but gearing. I wish there was an IGR for the sub trans only, that would reduce just low range and reverse. Portals will reduce both high and low and add 8” to the Talons width....😳

S

stonerdd

Nov 16, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon X4

Looks great. Did you use the factory rims on both front and back as they are different widths? Just curious as I am about to bite the bullet on new tires. Also did you lift the front end? Doesn't seem to be as nose low as mine. Thank you. Looks good

advertisement
btolar

btolar

Jul 18, 2022
MS
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV

So, 32s on stock wheels and stock bike don't rub too bad?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!