SMV triangle and mount on a 1000-5

Chelsea_Boy

Chelsea_Boy

Supporting Member
Jan 28, 2024
Paw Paw Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What’s your thoughts on the safety triangle and where you put it. Could it swing out when needed ? I’m in SW MI so will be having it on show when I go out on my side roads. As far as I’m aware I can be legal …ish on my under 35mph roads this way … any help would be appreciated

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know if this is any help. But, I used a Honda clamp that lets easily sneak it in or off.

This is a side photo. If you need a different angle, let me know.

Good luck on your project
4f1bd219e3cff5056ed3854a11a70454.jpg
7c5f3c05da2db39650cc0ad45e04a38f

Sent from my motorola edge plus 2023 using Tapatalk

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I am in MO and I am required to to have a SMV Triangle. I also use a flag.

Reactions: Remington and TxDoc
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
As far as I’m aware I can be legal …ish on my under 35mph roads this way … any help would be appreciated
You are legal to drive on any non “M” roads or interstates in michigan on the shoulder at a respectable speed in our state. That said, this is only legal by a county to county basses.
So contact your county’s sheriff dept to find out your co’s rules.

Last edited:
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
You are legal to drive on anything other than “M” roads or interstates in michigan on the shoulder at 25mph or less in our state. That said, this is only legal on a county to county (sometimes twp to twp) basis. Each county/twp can adopt an ORV ordinance but it must follow state guidelines.....ie. 25 mph max is statewide when on a public road.
So contact your county’s sheriff dept to find out your co’s rules.
Updated & corrected a couple things for yah @Remington

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
You cannot drive on the interstate highways, @Remington. Those are federal roadways (e.g., I-75). Further, not ALL state highways are open to ORV use. The MDNR and local governments get to decide. Beyond that, there are equipment and/or PPE requirements depending upon the ORV, operator, and passengers, time restrictions, speed restrictions, location (relative to roadway) restrictions, etc.. Far too many for me to keep track of, that's for sure. Just to be clear, you can't just strap on a triangle and go wherever and whenever you want. Otherwise, there would be absolutely no benefit to making an ORV 'street legal'.

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
He meant to type "non" rather than "on."

You are legal to drive on any non “M” roads or interstates...

Again, this is a state law provision that allows individual counties and municipalities to set the rule to their liking. Here in Northern MI, pretty much all of the counties are open to ORV use on the shoulder for county roads. There are exceptions in and around towns.

Also, I don't think the slow triangle thing applies at all in MI.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You cannot drive on the interstate highways, @Remington. Those are federal roadways (e.g., I-75). Further, not ALL state highways are open to ORV use. The MDNR and local governments get to decide. Beyond that, there are equipment and/or PPE requirements depending upon the ORV, operator, and passengers, time restrictions, speed restrictions, location (relative to roadway) restrictions, etc.. Far too many for me to keep track of, that's for sure. Just to be clear, you can't just strap on a triangle and go wherever and whenever you want. Otherwise, there would be absolutely no benefit to making an ORV 'street legal'.
And @906UP
I should have took the time to re read what I wrote. What u said is exctly what i meant. Thanks @P1K5Dave for seeing that.
Ill correct it. My bad.
I use my phone most of the time and im in my service truck usually waiting on dispatch and I get interrupted.
I dont know why, but for some reason I type and hit the space bar, it will take something out and I know i typed it. It happens when I text to dispatch all the time too🤬
I fucing hate it.

Yeah im not that stupid, I iknow u cant drive on a state highway duh…🙄
you'll probably die if you do.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
And @906UP
I should have took the time to re read what I wrote. What u said is exctly what i meant. Thanks @P1K5Dave for seeing that.
Ill correct it. My bad.
I use my phone most of the time and im in my service truck usually waiting on dispatch and I get interrupted.
I dont know why, but for some reason I type and hit the space bar, it will take something out and I know i typed it. It happens when I text to dispatch all the time too🤬
I fucing hate it.

Yeah im not that stupid, I iknow u cant drive on a state highway duh…🙄
you'll probably die if you do.
Kinda figured that was the case.....happens to me all the time, old mechanic thumbs I guess

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Happens to me, too. I just didn't want ole @Chelsea_Boy getting pulled over after we told him it was cool. :oops:

Reactions: Remington and TxDoc
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Happens to me, too. I just didn't want ole @Chelsea_Boy getting pulled over after we told him it was cool. :oops:
Agreed😉

Reactions: TxDoc

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!