H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Its easy to come up with some Honda Happy Talk with this Talon. This is by far the easiest side by side to maintain and I thought the Pioneer 1000 was great. The only thing I don’t like is the dusty air intake location. The $140 snorkel kit moves it up to the roof in clean air and the $400 S&B particle separator may be another good option. Some of my RZR buddies mounted the particle separator above the roof and added a rain cover. This Red Talon is still being set up for the desert in the Yuma area. I like the over fenders.

Talon11
Talon44

My 2016 Pioneer needed a shift cable and exhaust mounting rubber a bit before 12,000 miles, it is just below 19,000 miles now. I’m hoping my Talon will be as good and I should have 10,000 miles on it by the end of the year. I installed 30 inch tires. The 32’s reduce the top speed too much. I decided to buy a Talon 4 late this year or early next year.

The required maintenance according to the owners manual on a 2018 RZR 1000 costs $2,700 to get it to 5,000 miles. The dealer sells the maintenance package for $2,200. That maintenance cost would be a deal breaker for me and I would be looking at a different brand.

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
Very nice - which over fenders did you get? They look nice! Different than what I've seen from Mud Busters and Rokblokz.

Last edited:
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Its easy to come up with some Honda Happy Talk with this Talon. This is by far the easiest side by side to maintain and I thought the Pioneer 1000 was great. The only thing I don’t like is the dusty air intake location. The $140 snorkel kit moves it up to the roof in clean air and the $400 S&B particle separator may be another good option. Some of my RZR buddies mounted the particle separator above the roof and added a rain cover. This Red Talon is still being set up for the desert in the Yuma area. I like the over fenders.

View attachment 144341 View attachment 144342 View attachment 144343

My 2016 Pioneer needed a shift cable and exhaust mounting rubber a bit before 12,000 miles, it is just below 19,000 miles now. I’m hoping my Talon will be as good and I should have 10,000 miles on it by the end of the year. I installed 30 inch tires. The 32’s reduce the top speed too much. I decided to buy a Talon 4 late this year or early next year.

The required maintenance according to the owners manual on a 2018 RZR 1000 costs $2,700 to get it to 5,000 miles. The dealer sells the maintenance package for $2,200. That maintenance cost would be a deal breaker for me and I would be looking at a different brand.
BAAAA HA HA HA HA ....Like that's the only reason you wouldn't buy another Polaris . Now that's funny , I don't care who ya are .

Reactions: JimmyTalon
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
BAAAA HA HA HA HA ....Like that's the only reason you wouldn't buy another Polaris . Now that's funny , I don't care who ya are .
Fender flares look great! I see you have a Bass Whacker! HA!

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I have a Green Talon R. I will get more info on the Red one. Huck, I installed a snorkel on all three Polaris I had and the all new 2020 RZR Pro looks like it has the same poor air box intake location. The problem I had with Polaris is wheel bearings, U-Joints, Ball joints, front suspension bushings, the belt drive failing in less then 2,000 miles on two. The engine blowing up on one at around 3,000 miles. Another one with 3 tight valves from the factory causing a poor idle and hard starting. I needed 3 of them so I had something to drive. Fortunately most of my failures occurred in the 6 months warranty and only because I put on the miles. You need a good dealer to get warranty because everything is a maintenance item according to Polaris. One was usually waiting on parts, another was being repaired. Our group has had 5 fuel pumps fail on RZR 1000's in 3,500 to 7,000 miles. The newer ones are better but they still have way too many poor quality parts from China. If it wasn't for Polaris failures some shops would go out of business. Polaris can give them away at a huge discount and still make a profit in parts and repair. Sorry for the rant but Polaris really pissed me off. If they were the best available now I would buy second best.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I have a Green Talon R. I will get more info on the Red one. Huck, I installed a snorkel on all three Polaris I had and the all new 2020 RZR Pro looks like it has the same poor air box intake location. The problem I had with Polaris is wheel bearings, U-Joints, Ball joints, front suspension bushings, the belt drive failing in less then 2,000 miles on two. The engine blowing up on one at around 3,000 miles. Another one with 3 tight valves from the factory causing a poor idle and hard starting. I needed 3 of them so I had something to drive. Fortunately most of my failures occurred in the 6 months warranty and only because I put on the miles. You need a good dealer to get warranty because everything is a maintenance item according to Polaris. One was usually waiting on parts, another was being repaired. Our group has had 5 fuel pumps fail on RZR 1000's in 3,500 to 7,000 miles. The newer ones are better but they still have way too many poor quality parts from China. If it wasn't for Polaris failures some shops would go out of business. Polaris can give them away at a huge discount and still make a profit in parts and repair. Sorry for the rant but Polaris really pissed me off. If they were the best available now I would buy second best.
I absolutely know this stuff .That's why your comment about the maintenance cost cracked me up .

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Some of the guys will enjoy my Polaris Rant. I forgot to mention when rock crawling in low range I found it best to be in manual mode so it wouldn't shift at a bad time. I'm going to check the Talon 4 gearing as soon as I can check the parts. It might be easy to do it in the sub trans. It may be geared lower like the Polaris 4 seater and the guys with huge tires may like a lower gear upgrade. For rock crawling I would like to run at least 32's without being hard on the clutch. My buddy just upgraded from 32's to 33's on his R.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Some of the guys will enjoy my Polaris Rant. I forgot to mention when rock crawling in low range I found it best to be in manual mode so it wouldn't shift at a bad time. I'm going to check the Talon 4 gearing as soon as I can check the parts. It might be easy to do it in the sub trans. It may be geared lower like the Polaris 4 seater and the guys with huge tires may like a lower gear upgrade. For rock crawling I would like to run at least 32's without being hard on the clutch. My buddy just upgraded from 32's to 33's on his R.
I believe the x4 gearing is the same as the x2

An internal gear down from a pioneer should work.

(Plus a reflash)

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
They are the Rokblokz and I also have their blast shields to protect the lower control arm and brake rotors.
Seems to be working alright. Haven't been in any mud yet to really try them out.

Reactions: RideRed85
RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
Liking the looks of that intake setup too. So far it looks like the S&B OEM Honda option isn't compatible with any rear panel.

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X

View attachment 144341 View attachment 144342 View attachment 144343

So how has the transmission been holding up? I’m a little concerned since the trail riding I do seems like the tranny shifts a thousand times a day!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!