P1000 4,604 mile report & Clutch Info

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I ride over 15,000 miles a year. Just got 8,600 miles on my 2016 Yamaha YXZ. I use it for fast paced rides. My Camo Pioneer 700 just turned 5,000 miles and I sold my red 700 with over 7,000. Hondas have the least problems. A lot of the P1000 clutch failures are from extreme use, large tires, super low speed crawling, and hammering the throttle when stuck bad. Its easy to get pissed when getting stuck where the wheels won't turn with WOT. When in manual mode the ECU will downshift for you as you slow down. If you watch the tach you will see it downshift just below 2,000 rpm to prevent clutch slippage. The clutch should last for about 60,000 miles or more with careful use. Do I want a much lower low range and reverse gear the answer is a big yes. I like huge tires and lots of ground clearance and for that we have the mud models but I just hate belt drive, Polaris, and Can-Am. If I did extreme riding with my P1000 I would install a Portal Gear Lift and run 28 inch mud tires. 32's would be way better but the clutch would not last as long unless your very careful and probably lucky too. I had lots of failures on my 4 Yamaha UTV's, 2 Teryx UTV's, and 3 Polaris UTV's. Since December 2004 I have put on over 90,000 miles on UTV's. I just hate fixing all the failures and rebuilding belt drives and changing belts. I had to give up Mt Bike Racing, motorcycles, and Quads several years ago. Fortunately the UTV's have a high fun factor and most of my friends have one now. They say with age comes the cage.
Obviously one too many zeros in the "60,000" lol! But yeah...I'd be satisfied if my clutches lasted 6,000 miles. I haven't done the recall on my '16 unit yet. (Supposedly it's honored until 2019 so I'm gonna wait until mine burn up and then get the fix done). Now if Honda could engineer some brake pads and a muffler that would last more than 2,400 miles/11 months...

Reactions: JWM1000-5

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm over 11,400 now and they will go 60,000 with normal use. Extreme use will shorten the clutch life.
I can only hope. I haven't reached 3,000 miles yet and my rig sounds and feels like it's ready for the crusher. The only thing that I have some confidence in is the engine. Seems like it's holding up well so far.

D

Dasmoeturhead

Obviously one too many zeros in the "60,000" lol! But yeah...I'd be satisfied if my clutches lasted 6,000 miles. I haven't done the recall on my '16 unit yet. (Supposedly it's honored until 2019 so I'm gonna wait until mine burn up and then get the fix done). Now if Honda could engineer some brake pads and a muffler that would last more than 2,400 miles/11 months...
What's up with the muffler? I haven't heard anything negative about it before.

Reactions: 0860silverado
YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My rig is only about 10 months old with a little over 1300 miles. That's a lot for me due to my work keeping me on the road all the time. But I ride as much as I can when I'm home and I really haven't had any problems. I have had clutch slippage on several occasions. But not in a long time and not under heavy clutch loading. It only happens in easy conditions when I was riding fence and checking cattle. My warranty covers me for about three more years so I decided if it's gonna go, now is the time. I have tried to make it slip going up steep terrain in high gear at 2-3mph and it just climbs and keeps going. I can't make it slip by doing all the things I shouldn't, but occasionally it will slip on flat ground in a pasture from a dead start. Makes no sense to me, but I'm not real worried about it. I quit testing the clutch and just ride the piss out of it and do what I want to do. I don't abuse it, but I don't baby it either. These rigs cost to much to have to baby it. Hate to hear others have had problems, but I'm fine with what my rig does and the price I paid for it.

D

Dasmoeturhead

Mine is rusted out. Really loud now. And not a "good" loud either. Sounds ugly.
Dang! That sucks. I'm sure those suckers ain't cheap to replace either. I know the aftermarket cans are pretty spendy, and I really don't want a loud machine. Those days are over.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Dang! That sucks. I'm sure those suckers ain't cheap to replace either. I know the aftermarket cans are pretty spendy, and I really don't want a loud machine. Those days are over.
Yeah. I'm wondering if I could weld up a doggone car muffler to it. Make it even quieter and should be able to get one from junkyard for a couple dollars.

advertisement
D

Dasmoeturhead

Yeah. I'm wondering if I could weld up a doggone car muffler to it. Make it even quieter and should be able to get one from junkyard for a couple dollars.
Looks like the replacement from Honda is around $450.00. So are the aftermarket ones.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Looks like the replacement from Honda is around $450.00. So are the aftermarket ones.
Ouch! That's even more ridiculous than I was expecting. No way I'm going through that expense every year. Junkyard looks like the way to go.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I ride over 15,000 miles a year. Just got 8,600 miles on my 2016 Yamaha YXZ. I use it for fast paced rides. My Camo Pioneer 700 just turned 5,000 miles and I sold my red 700 with over 7,000. Hondas have the least problems. A lot of the P1000 clutch failures are from extreme use, large tires, super low speed crawling, and hammering the throttle when stuck bad. Its easy to get pissed when getting stuck where the wheels won't turn with WOT.

That is exactly the problem with most clutch failures, my first went out (160 miles) while trying to get out of a pickle over a 40 degree downhill with a 45 degree tie rod and 2 other P1K's trying to winch/tug me back up over the edge, this was at the end on a long riding day and machine was good and hot. My second time went out at approx. 1200 miles after 10 hours of very technical trails machine was really good and hot in some big nasty rocks. Hills were so steep and traction so abundant actually stalled it in 1st gear high range on one had to go to low range to climb it. Even so Honda warrantied it each time. Since the second have put on 1200 more miles no issues at all and currently getting the clutch update campaign done.

All in the issue is heat, not enough oil gets put on the clutch to keep it from overheating under high stress, in about 45 seconds it's toast. With the update it puts so much oil on the clutch it will withstand the same stress for over 7 minutes and will heat up the rest of the system where the overheat light comes on before damage occurs.

Glad to hear yours is running great @hondabob

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My rig is only about 10 months old with a little over 1300 miles. That's a lot for me due to my work keeping me on the road all the time. But I ride as much as I can when I'm home and I really haven't had any problems. I have had clutch slippage on several occasions. But not in a long time and not under heavy clutch loading. It only happens in easy conditions when I was riding fence and checking cattle. My warranty covers me for about three more years so I decided if it's gonna go, now is the time. I have tried to make it slip going up steep terrain in high gear at 2-3mph and it just climbs and keeps going. I can't make it slip by doing all the things I shouldn't, but occasionally it will slip on flat ground in a pasture from a dead start. Makes no sense to me, but I'm not real worried about it. I quit testing the clutch and just ride the piss out of it and do what I want to do. I don't abuse it, but I don't baby it either. These rigs cost to much to have to baby it. Hate to hear others have had problems, but I'm fine with what my rig does and the price I paid for it.
Yard Dog? I have heard you complaining about little bitty chunks out of your tires, HA! Come ride with us March 1,2,3,4 th, at Mulberry. Yea I can be a whiner too! Would be great to see you again! I'm not bring a tent!

Reactions: YardDog and nbomar
YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yard Dog? I have heard you complaining about little bitty chunks out of your tires, HA! Come ride with us March 1,2,3,4 th, at Mulberry. Yea I can be a whiner too! Would be great to see you again! I'm not bring a tent!
I got a small shallow cut in a sidewall and dinged a rim or two at Mill Creek, and I was proud that was all. I think that trail beat the s*** out me a lot worse lol. Wish I could meet up with everyone on the next ride but I will be out of state that week. Still have the rest of the year for more rides, hope to see everyone on the trail again before it gets hot and dry.

H

HondaTech

We had 2 customers with close to 7,000 miles each on their 3 seaters. They both were pretty early builds, Red one was in the second batch we got after initial single unit we got. Orange one was probably one the first ones we had in that color.

I haven't seen any muffler failures on any P1K's. Few 700's have had baffles break off inside and block it off causing low power issues. The 1000 mufflers seems to hold up, wonder why yours is bad?

I haven't put any brake pads on either, not even on the 2 i listed above with 7,000 miles. Sounds like someone is spending too much time in the water. ; )

Last edited:

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We had 2 customers with close to 7,000 miles each on their 3 seaters. They both were pretty early builds, Red one was in the second batch we got after initial single unit we got. Orange one was probably one the first ones we had in that color.

I haven't seen any muffler failures on any P1K's. Few 700's have had baffles break off inside and block it off causing low power issues. The 1000 mufflers seems to hold up, wonder why yours is bad?

I haven't put any brake pads on either, not even on the 2 i listed above with 7,000 miles. Sounds like someone is spending too much time in the water. ; )
My machine has literally never been in water deep enough to reach the bottom of the wheel rims. After realizing that there are no grease zerks for the suspension, I'm very mindful to stay on dry surfaces. It lives it's life working on-road. Admittedly, my brake pads do get a workout with the way I use my machine. I'm just disappointed because when I sold my other machine that did the exact same work in the exact same conditions, it had over 7,500 miles and it never needed brake pad replacement. I've read on this site that average brake pad life on these Hondas is 2400 miles. As far as the muffler goes, my use requires the engine to rev to near it's rev limiter on a regular basis. Maybe the excessive vibration split the can? The sound coming out of the tailpipe is normal. The abnormal sound is coming from somewhere under the heat shield. I haven't taken it apart yet to see exactly where the failure is. It's odd to me that no one else is having this problem.

Last edited:
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I need reliability so I get going right away so I don't overheat the clutch. The clutch oiling upgrade makes a good improvement and we can thank the hard use guys for the improvement. I think this engine package may be in the 2019 Sport models with about 90 hp to keep the cost down. The 1000cc Gold Wing flat 4 engine with a 7 speed trans would be great for a high hp model. It could turn 13,000 rpm and with twin turbo's it would over 200 hp. It wouldn't surprise me to see it in a few years.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I need reliability so I get going right away so I don't overheat the clutch. The clutch oiling upgrade makes a good improvement and we can thank the hard use guys for the improvement. I think this engine package may be in the 2019 Sport models with about 90 hp to keep the cost down. The 1000cc Gold Wing flat 4 engine with a 7 speed trans would be great for a high hp model. It could turn 13,000 rpm and with twin turbo's it would over 200 hp. It wouldn't surprise me to see it in a few years.

I "NEED" one of those!

Reactions: Dasmoeturhead
H

HondaTech

Honda's test mule for the Big Red had a Gl1800 engine in it. Our old sale rep rode in it, he said even with the crap suspension and size of the Big Red, he doesn't think anything could've touched it.

Reactions: elkguide
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!