P700 4 Quarts of oil?

B

BrentW

Jul 15, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I did a complete service on my 2016 700-2 today. I raised the front end up and let the oil drain for about an hour do to getting side tracked trying to find the oil filter washer (which I had to go buy because mine vanished) and when I filled it back up it took a gallon to fill it back up. Is this normal? I know the machine can hold that after a tear down but I couldn't believe I got that complete of a drain.

Reactions: swsebek
B

BrentW

Jul 15, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I did notice a little faster response from the throttle. Usually has a little lag but was quite zippie after the change. I also did the diffs, air filter, and plugs. Used all Honda stuff so I hope it hold together ok.

Reactions: swsebek
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I did a complete service on my 2016 700-2 today. I raised the front end up and let the oil drain for about an hour do to getting side tracked trying to find the oil filter washer (which I had to go buy because mine vanished) and when I filled it back up it took a gallon to fill it back up. Is this normal? I know the machine can hold that after a tear down but I couldn't believe I got that complete of a drain.
Honda shop gives me the wrong size drain plug washers 75% of the time, end up using the old washers back and watch them closely.

B

BrentW

Jul 15, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Honda shop gives me the wrong size drain plug washers 75% of the time, end up using the old washers back and watch them closely.
I got sent the wrong drain plug washer too. The one I lost today was the one on the oil filter. I removed the entire skid plate and never found it. And no it wasn’t on the filter this time.

Reactions: Hondasxs
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I got sent the wrong drain plug washer too. The one I lost today was the one on the oil filter. I removed the entire skid plate and never found it. And no it wasn’t on the filter this time.
Drives me friction nuts!!!!!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
With the front end jacked up and that type of drain time...absolutely possible it would take 4 quarts. Make sure you use the procedure laid out in the manual for checking the oil, as it will affect the reading on the stick.

HawkDriver

HawkDriver

Mar 31, 2017
Sierra Vista, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine took almost 3.5 quarts yesterday after oil/filter change. It was sitting level in the garage. I am glad I am not the only one.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
with front end up and that long itll take 4 quarts. i do mine on my trailer ramps as soon as it starts trickling i put plug back in and change filter then roll it back to flat ground and put 3.5 quarts in almost everytime its a hair above full after this which is where i run mine

Reactions: Mudwing
Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yeah, 4 quarts is overfull. I think the manual calls for 3.1 or some odd number. 3 fills mine to the top of the dipstick mark.

M

MKULTRA

Account Closed
Account Self Deleted
Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2019
IA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mine seems to usually be around three quarts also. just checked it & checking without screwing the dipstick in it is a little past the top mark.

H

HondaTech

For reference the drain plug washer you need is Part # 94109-12000.

Reactions: IamAmmo and JimmyA
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
wish they would go with the oil filter the other japaneese bikes use , so much easier like a car. I had the same ones and oil for my rhino, pariries, was very nice.

Reactions: MKULTRA and Mudwing
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
on level ground bike calls for 3.1 quarts but if front end is up and you let it dribble dry. 3.5 quarts all day long easily.

i like the filter set up like this better than the spin on ones. especially since i do alot of mud riding. you dont have to worry about crusted crumbles getting on your seal while trying to screw it in. plus its a honda probably need some weird 200 dollar ratcheting oil filter wrench just to get it off

Reactions: KyleC and Mudwing
V

vmax1965

Aug 14, 2018
Nappanee, Indiana USA
Ownership

1. 700-4
My very first oil change at 20 hours on my 2018 Honda Pioneer 700-4 took 3.75 quarts of Rotella T6 synthetic. I let it drain for a couple of hours with the front end off the ground.

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yeah, a couple of issues I see, and of course it is your machine so you do what you want but most all manuals for all machinery that uses oil suggest that the vehicle be on level ground when you check oil and when you change oil. I hope that when you filled it it was not still sitting with the front end up. And I have trouble believing that each of these Honda's are so different that they take up to a quart more than what the manual recommends. My manual calls for 3.1 quarts.

Last edited:
V

vmax1965

Aug 14, 2018
Nappanee, Indiana USA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yeah, a couple of issues I see, and of course it is your machine so you do what you want but most all manuals for all machinery that uses oil suggest that the vehicle be on level ground when you check oil and when you change oil. I hope that when you filled it it was not still sitting with the front end up. And I have trouble believing that each of these Honda's are so different that they take up to a quart more that what the manual recommends. My manual calls for 3.1 quarts.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!