P1000 4x4 clarification 2016

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So picked up my new 6 seater Mule and first thing I noticed threw me off! The 4x4 system is 2 buttons. 2 or 4 wheel and lock or unlock. Assuming lock / unlock is for rear axle as doesn't have option for true 4 wheel drive. Best is 3 wheel.

But I ALWAYS assumed that ALL 4x4 was ALWAYS 3 wheel drive, one front and BOTH rear, which means it's ALWAYS locked in the rear. Never seen option for one front and one rear? And why on earth would anyone want 2 wheel drive, hence why have an option, 4x4 should always men locked rear either manual or auto lockers?

Now my Pioneer doesn't have such an option for rear axle lock. It's 2 or 4 and diff lock, which I ASSUMED meant front and rear was locked together.. So now I am just getting throughly confused!

Is 4x4 on Honda mean a locked rear automatically? And if so, is it hard locked or auto lockers when one rear starts to spin?

Is 4x4 on Mule without locking option just a ONE tire both front and rear?? Again, what does that achieve?

And does diff lock on Honda, in addition to locking front and rear diff together, ALSO engage extra front tire as well?? Or has diff lock ALWAYS just meant an extra front tire locked for true 4 wheel drive and had nothing to do with locking both rear and front together and I am insane?

I'm all crazy now trying to figure this all out!!

My truck is simple. 4x4 means 3 wheels and has auto lockers rear. Evidently...not so simple with UTV's!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Well..
Don't let the old school Honda atv 4x4 (3-wheel drive Honda) confuse you with the Pioneer line.

Pioneer 1000 works like this. 4 different modes.

- Off (bottom right notch) = turf mode. 1x4 wheel drive. But if evenly weighted they both pull.
- 2x4 (bottom left notch) = rear locked. True 2x4. Both rear wheels pull no matter the weight.
- 4x4 (top left notch) = 3 wheel drive. Rear locked, front 1 wheel, but both will pull if evenly weighted.
- 4x4 lock (top right notch) all diff's locked. All wheels spinning no matter weight applied.

Hope that explains it.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well..
Don't let the old school Honda atv 4x4 (3-wheel drive Honda) confuse you with the Pioneer line.

Pioneer 1000 works like this. 4 different modes.

- Off (bottom right notch) = turf mode. 1x4 wheel drive. But if evenly weighted they both pull.
- 2x4 (bottom left notch) = rear locked. True 2x4. Both rear wheels pull no matter the weight.
- 4x4 (top left notch) = 3 wheel drive. Rear locked, front 1 wheel, but both will pull if evenly weighted.
- 4x4 lock (top right notch) all diff's locked. All wheels spinning no matter weight applied.

Hope that explains it.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Almost... LOL

1) So the last one, all diffs locked, means front locked and rear locked or also front AND rear locked together also?

2) And do u think the Mule lock means in 4x4 without lock on it's one rear and one front?? Not being a Mule man I won't hold you to a best guess :)

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Almost... LOL

1) So the last one, all diffs locked, means front locked and rear locked or also front AND rear locked together also?

2) And do u think the Mule lock means in 4x4 without lock on it's one rear and one front?? Not being a Mule man I won't hold you to a best guess :)

The Pioneer is locked front and rear with the 2 axles locked together in 4 lock. So if any tire turns they all turn the same speed.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Almost... LOL

1) So the last one, all diffs locked, means front locked and rear locked?

:)

Yes 4WD lock lock both front and rear differentials solid pulling all 4 wheels evenly.

Don't know anything about mules, wrong forum to ask.

Reactions: Hondasxs
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@Plumber101010
I have your answers...
2x4 button is rear differential locked. Both rear wheels will pull.
4x4 button on your MULE is 3x4. Rear locked but the front is NOT!

My quick research showed the MULE does NOT have a front locking differential. 3x4 wheel drive is the best you can get.

Solution - Recommend buying a Pioneer... haha.. J/K. lol.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Plumber101010
I have your answers...
2x4 button is rear differential locked. Both rear wheels will pull.
4x4 button on your MULE is 3x4. Rear locked but the front is NOT!

My quick research showed the MULE does NOT have a front locking differential. 3x4 wheel drive is the best you can get.

Solution - Recommend buying a Pioneer... haha.. J/K. lol.

Buy ANOTHER!!! Geez, owning one already is not enough? It won't get u another membership and dues not matter how hard you try!!! LMAO!

Close but u got the buttons off.

Button 1: 2 or 4
Button 2: lock/unlock.

Making me think 4x4 without lock is one rear wheel drive in 4x4!

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Having an unlocked front and unlocked rear while in 4WD means you can turn sharper and not damage the ground while still keeping 2 wheels driving. With a locked rear axle when you turn, your inside tire has to turn at the same speed as the outside tire which means it will slip/spin/chirp and push in the turn giving you a larger turning radius that Turf Mode.

With it in 4WD and the rear diff unlocked, you can turn just as sharp as you could with Turf Mode but you still have 2 wheels pulling. This would be useful if you were on a surface that you really didn't want to tear up but needed more traction that turf mode would give you.

With the drive wheels on different axles, it is also less likely that you will be in exactly the same friction conditions. So you may even be able to still pull even when the rear/front tires are spinning. If your rear wheels were on ice and your fronts not, even with a locked rear axle, you would not have traction. With it in 4WD and an unlocked rear you would still not have traction on the rear but would on the front.

In really bad traction locations Fully Locked 4WD will always be superior but having the ability to unlock the rear is a useful option. Particularly in a vehicle like the Mule that is designed more for work than the Pioneer.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes 4WD lock lock both front and rear differentials solid pulling all 4 wheels evenly.

Don't know anything about mules, wrong forum to ask.

Ooook. So now makes sense. It's BOTH correct? Not only does front wheel engage but also front and rear diff engage. Both actions at once. Now makes sense :)

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Having an unlocked front and unlocked rear while in 4WD means you can turn sharper and not damage the ground while still keeping 2 wheels driving. With a locked rear axle when you turn, your inside tire has to turn at the same speed as the outside tire which means it will slip/spin/chirp and push in the turn giving you a larger turning radius that Turf Mode.

With it in 4WD and the rear diff unlocked, you can turn just as sharp as you could with Turf Mode but you still have 2 wheels pulling. This would be useful if you were on a surface that you really didn't want to tear up but needed more traction that turf mode would give you.

With the drive wheels on different axles, it is also less likely that you will be in exactly the same friction conditions. So you may even be able to still pull even when the rear/front tires are spinning. If your rear wheels were on ice and your fronts not, even with a locked rear axle, you would not have traction. With it in 4WD and an unlocked rear you would still not have traction on the rear but would on the front.

In really bad traction locations Fully Locked 4WD will always be superior but having the ability to unlock the rear is a useful option. Particularly in a vehicle like the Mule that is designed more for work than the Pioneer.

And with that, all the mysteries have been solved!!!! What took u so long??? Geezzzz. LOL. Sorry I missed u today! Two ships passing in the night...

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
advertisement
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
And with that, all the mysteries have been solved!!!! What took u so long??? Geezzzz. LOL. Sorry I missed u today! Two ships passing in the night...

Sorry. Wife's birthday today. Had to wait until she fell asleep in the chair before I could see what was going on around here.:D

Reactions: Plumber101010

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!