500 vs 700-4 dilemma?

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
Hey guys...anyone here own both a 500 and a 700?

I'm really debating between these two machines and Viking 700. All of which, I'm looking at used (possibly new for the 500).

My needs...not a ton. Hauling firewood, riding around with the kids. Playing in the snow with the kids. Possibly plowing (not a priority). I do like power, but I also have a budget and know I don't need some $24k turbo unit. Trail riding will be minimal. Maybe a couple rides a year. I'll mostly ride my Beta 300 endure bike.

I love the 700-4 because it fits my entire family. Pretty much checks off all the boxes. No questions asked (although my wife has no interest). I worry about "power". Lot of video's of these dying out on hill climbs. I'll be riding sea level for the most part.

The little 500 (I test drove one) is a cool little machine. No speed demon, but that manual shift tranny let's you rev the little bugger and use the most of it's power. Only fits one passenger, though sitting at the dealer my 2 kids do fit next to me. And it looks like could squeeze to harnesses in. I'd also have to build a cargo box to haul firewood. Not a huge deal though. I love how small this thing is too.

They Viking seats 3, perfect for me an the kids. I like the Yamaha 700 motor. I had a Grizz 700. I like the low gear, locking diff (not necessarily needed for my needs). Belt drive doesn't scare me. But this machine is wide and long.

So...what say you? Recommendations?

Reactions: sharp
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Sounds like you like the Yamaha a lot but the 700 4 Honda Pioneer is what you need. I had the Pioneer 700-4 for over a year and put 1200 miles on it with no problems and most of the time it had plenty of power. Your kids will get bigger then you will have to buy something else but if you get the Pioneer 4 you will not have to.

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Firstly, I have seen one of those videos back before I bought and I think the guy had something against Pioneer because I have not experienced that at all and if you do a search on "Pioneer 700-4 hill climb" you will find a number of videos of people climbing some pretty good hills with theirs.
Secondly, why would you think that a 500, of lower HP would be better than the 700 if you are afraid of power up a hill?s

I have had four adults or two adults and two kids in mine and have never lacked for power.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
IIRC the hill climb thing has been fixed. Those were the 2014 model and the newer models have an O2 sensor to adjust the fuel mixture to compensate where the older one did not.

Based on my research of earlier this year and my own experience with the P1000. You will likely get more use and have more fun with the P700 than you will the P500 with the convertible seats in the bed. That is probably the most useful feature of the P1000 for me so far. You never know when you might have someone that wants to go for a ride with you and 3 in the front seat is not as comfortable as having them more spread out in my experience.

You need to test drive them for yourself but the Viking is really quite loud although it does seem to have more "getup and go"than the specs seem to indicate.

If I had been smart and not impatient :) and waited I probably would have gotten the 2017 P700-4 with the paddle shifters over the P1000.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I'm really debating between these two machines and Viking 700. All of which, I'm looking at used (possibly new for the 500).

My needs...not a ton. Hauling firewood, riding around with the kids. Playing in the snow with the kids. Possibly plowing (not a priority). I do like power, but I also have a budget and know I don't need some $24k turbo unit. Trail riding will be minimal. Maybe a couple rides a year. I'll mostly ride my Beta 300 endure bike.

I love the 700-4 because it fits my entire family. Pretty much checks off all the boxes. No questions asked (although my wife has no interest). I worry about "power". Lot of video's of these dying out on hill climbs. I'll be riding sea level for the most part.

The little 500 (I test drove one) is a cool little machine. No speed demon, but that manual shift tranny let's you rev the little bugger and use the most of it's power. Only fits one passenger, though sitting at the dealer my 2 kids do fit next to me. And it looks like could squeeze to harnesses in. I'd also have to build a cargo box to haul firewood. Not a huge deal though. I love how small this thing is too.

They Viking seats 3, perfect for me an the kids. I like the Yamaha 700 motor. I had a Grizz 700. I like the low gear, locking diff (not necessarily needed for my needs). Belt drive doesn't scare me. But this machine is wide and long.

Seems like you are leaning to the 700, it fits everyone and " pretty much checked off all the boxes" good luck with your decision keep us posted.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Disclaimer - I have never drivin a 700.
The 500 was tempting for me too - for the fun factor and squeezing thru trails.
But the 1000 checked all my boxes so I went for it. I cant believe how much work this unit has helped me with and we have a blast driving. I can't follow a quad everywhere but I have no trouble with most of the trails I use.

I know other guys that just have to have the 50 inch width. To me that is the biggest deciding factor - along with multiple passengers

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
I have both. I like both. I'd give the 500 up before the 700-4 because of the seating. I will make you a bet..............If you get a 700-4 and the kids have as much fun as they will, your wife will gain interest.

J

JTW

I have both. I like both. I'd give the 500 up before the 700-4 because of the seating. I will make you a bet..............If you get a 700-4 and the kids have as much fun as they will, your wife will gain interest.
I really hate hearing that right before mine comes in... Lol

Reactions: doolin64
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

I can second this sort of. I was originally just going to get something with only 2 seats since I figured only my wife and I would ride together or myself and my brother and I would only need two. Well, my wife liked the Pioneer a lot more than the Wolverine after multiple test drives so I went with the Pioneer. Third time we took it out it was my wife, my brother and me and we had a blast. Then a friend saw me parked at my brother's house and he stopped by and he rode with us as well.

Since you haven't taken delivery of it yet, could you get them to change it to a 700-4 instead? I think with the paddle shifters on the 2017 models, they will be just a fun as the P500 but more useful with a dumping bed AND 4 seats.

That is assuming you don't have size restrictions that only the P500 fits.

J

JTW

I can second this sort of. I was originally just going to get something with only 2 seats since I figured only my wife and I would ride together or myself and my brother and I would only need two. Well, my wife liked the Pioneer a lot more than the Wolverine after multiple test drives so I went with the Pioneer. Third time we took it out it was my wife, my brother and me and we had a blast. Then a friend saw me parked at my brother's house and he stopped by and he rode with us as well.

Since you haven't taken delivery of it yet, could you get them to change it to a 700-4 instead? I think with the paddle shifters on the 2017 models, they will be just a fun as the P500 but more useful with a dumping bed AND 4 seats.

That is assuming you don't have size restrictions that only the P500 fits.
I'm in Ky.. So no real restrictions but would like to have the ability to load up and go west and not be worried about trail restrictions.. Also, I really just like the small size. I'm at a disadvantage because we have a trip coming up this weekend. So I need something ASAP and I already have $2500 in parts sitting in my garage waiting for a 2017 p500 to put them on. I would consider the 700-4 if it were going to be in the same time as the 500 but it's not. So, oh well. We have an 8 month old and a 8 year old.. I figure the 8 year old will want to drive here before long. I'll just let her have this and buy another or something else if it comes to it.

advertisement
doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
Thank you everyone for the replies!

After I typed it up I thought it sounded like I was leaning on the Viking. The Viking I'm looking at is, is fairly beat. It's a 2014 and has power steering. It needs a bit of work. But the price is right and the motor runs strong. It mostly needs cosmetic work. I've read about this bike being noisy. Lot of people using sound deadening.

The Pioneer 700-4 that just came up for sale seems like the best deal. It's slightly more money, but a low mileage 2015. I've always loved the 4 seat, seating arrangement since they first came out. Here's a picture of me and my son at the dealer way back (oh so long ago) in 2013. I know that I would have no problem filling all 4 seats for rides. That's for sure. Honestly, so some of those videos with the loss of power is what had made me leary.

The little 500 I could swing new and skip buying used. Then again there's a few used ones around me for decent money and low mileage. Truth be told, it probably meets my needs the least. It's the compact size is what intrigues me. Since I've been quadless, I've borrowed my aunt's Polaris Sportsman 500 and have been amazed at what that little bugger could haul around for a loaded trailer. The motorsize doesn't bother me one bit.

You guys may be talking me into the 700-4

FB IMG 1475361993466 zpsxkhw6kpf

Reactions: solrus and JTW
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Why not a Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe they can be bought for $15k or less now plus tax. No power issues there. That's $9k less than you mentioned.

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
Haha, would love the 1000. No doubt. I'm only looking to spend exactly half of 15k. 7.5k is my budget.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand

wouldn't it be great if Honda made something like this,just what your wishing forWIN 20160405 164517

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
Great build! I followed that one.

Reactions: iowaguy
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Great build! I followed that one.

Thanks, I was in about the same position as you are trying to decide what I wanted ,but didn't want to spend more than $8000 ,I was on my way to another dealer to buy a used Yamaha Rhino when I drove past the Honda dealer and seen this sitting out in front,I didn't even know Honda made them ,they just got the first one in the day before,I stopped in and test drove it and loved it , I have to admit the new 700-4 is looking like what I would like to have,I'll just wait a couple years and watch for a good used one to come up for sale,what I have now fits my needs ,so no hurry to trade yet.

Reactions: wildbill and JTW
J

JTW

Thanks, I was in about the same position as you are trying to decide what I wanted ,but didn't want to spend more than $8000 ,I was on my way to another dealer to buy a used Yamaha Rhino when I drove past the Honda dealer and seen this sitting out in front,I didn't even know Honda made them ,they just got the first one in the day before,I stopped in and test drove it and loved it , I have to admit the new 700-4 is looking like what I would like to have,I'll just wait a couple years and watch for a good used one to come up for sale,what I have now fits my needs ,so no hurry to trade yet.
If you ever decide to upgrade and I call dibs on your rear seat setup!! :)

Reactions: iowaguy
doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
Back to square one. 2 emails to the seller (no contact phone number) and no response. It was a 2015 700-4 supposedly on it's first tank of gas and he was asking $8k. The Viking I was eyeing...was sold by the owner a couple of months ago. He said he let it go for $4700! LIke i said it needed cosmetics. It's back on Craigslist for $8500 with the new buyer. He fixed the costmetics. Said he'd take $7500. Ehhh...Not a good enough deal for this guy simply knowing what he paid.

JohnNH

JohnNH

Aug 14, 2016
Ownership

1. 700-4
I was looking at the 700-4 and viking before I went with the 700-4 I did like the vikings features but loves the fold down seats in the Honda I went with the Honda because we all fit in it and I never had any problems with hills and we have a lot of them here I've had it fully loaded and it still had plenty of power

Reactions: doolin64 and JTW
J

JTW

Back to square one. 2 emails to the seller (no contact phone number) and no response. It was a 2015 700-4 supposedly on it's first tank of gas and he was asking $8k. The Viking I was eyeing...was sold by the owner a couple of months ago. He said he let it go for $4700! LIke i said it needed cosmetics. It's back on Craigslist for $8500 with the new buyer. He fixed the costmetics. Said he'd take $7500. Ehhh...Not a good enough deal for this guy simply knowing what he paid.
Are you sure the guy wasn't also a Nigerian prince that just came into a bunch of money too?
It doesn't matter what the other guy paid.. If it's a deal (sounds like it), you like it and it's what you want. Buy it!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!