P500 520 charging problems

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
First off thank you to all that post as it can be a big help to just know information that has happened to others.

So we got our 520 last month and on the first day took it out and it ran for about 4 hours and we started having shifting problems and by the time we got back to the truck the battery was just about dead. It wouldn't even fire back up to load on the truck. After this we took it back to the dealer and they said they would go over it and replace the battery if needed. We pick it back up and they said they had replaced the battery.
So this weekend the wife and her friend take it out for a weekend trip and the same thing happens but worse. It stopped shifting and on the way back to camp it died completely. My wife had to walk back 3 miles and get the van and trailer and load it up with a come-along.

So with the help of info form the site I found where the stator wires went to the rectifier. And low and behold both the plugs into it were only pushed in a tiny bit not snapped into the lock clip. I also took a volt meter and all three wires of the stator were in ohm spec. So I plug the stator wires in tight and the plug with the ground and hot wire that feeds the main fuse block. Then I jumped the battery and it started right up and the battery showed it charging at 14.7 volts. I frustrated at my dealer for not catching something so simple but hopefully this info helps someone. Just because it looked plugged in does not mean it is.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I concur, these things should not happen with a "good protocol" for set-up/delivery, especially since they charge us for it!! You might talk with the dealer and ask them to make it right, i.e., free 50 hour service???

Robertb52

Robertb52

Feb 13, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
First off thank you to all that post as it can be a big help to just know information that has happened to others.

So we got our 520 last month and on the first day took it out and it ran for about 4 hours and we started having shifting problems and by the time we got back to the truck the battery was just about dead. It wouldn't even fire back up to load on the truck. After this we took it back to the dealer and they said they would go over it and replace the battery if needed. We pick it back up and they said they had replaced the battery.
So this weekend the wife and her friend take it out for a weekend trip and the same thing happens but worse. It stopped shifting and on the way back to camp it died completely. My wife had to walk back 3 miles and get the van and trailer and load it up with a come-along.

So with the help of info form the site I found where the stator wires went to the rectifier. And low and behold both the plugs into it were only pushed in a tiny bit not snapped into the lock clip. I also took a volt meter and all three wires of the stator were in ohm spec. So I plug the stator wires in tight and the plug with the ground and hot wire that feeds the main fuse block. Then I jumped the battery and it started right up and the battery showed it charging at 14.7 volts. I frustrated at my dealer for not catching something so simple but hopefully this info helps someone. Just because it looked plugged in does not mean it is.
Sorry to hear about that.

This is troubling; my steering wheel was on only hand tight; threads had yet to cut into the nylon portion of the stop nut. I also had my bottom belly panel bolts smoked on; i had to drill out one of them to remove the panels (if you do the nerf bars, you will need to remove and modify the skid plates). Another member in the forum had several lug nuts loose. I sent pictures back to my dealer in hopes (they said they would) they would pass on to Honda.

Where can i find to check these stator wires? (I know you found it within this sight, hoping to save time searching for it). Many thanks - Rob

Robertb52

Robertb52

Feb 13, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
I concur, these things should not happen with a "good protocol" for set-up/delivery, especially since they charge us for it!! You might talk with the dealer and ask them to make it right, i.e., free 50 hour service???
Unfortunately they do not do much at the dealership (although we are charged for it). When i bought my 520, it was still in the crate. All they had to do was install the ROPS and put in the fluids. Everything else was on. My ”hand tight” steering wheel was never touched by the dealer. I didnt notice it till i got home and found the steering wheel wobbly.

Reactions: Mudder
H

HondaTech

This is troubling; my steering wheel was on only hand tight; threads had yet to cut into the nylon portion of the stop nut. I also had my bottom belly panel bolts smoked on; i had to drill out one of them to remove the panels (if you do the nerf bars, you will need to remove and modify the skid plates). Another member in the forum had several lug nuts loose. I sent pictures back to my dealer in hopes (they said they would) they would pass on to Honda.

Where can i find to check these stator wires? (I know you found it within this sight, hoping to save time searching for it). Many thanks - Rob

Both of your problems were dealer caused issues. Lack of good setup guy and QC protocols.

Skid plates are installed by dealers, the wheel is left loose at uncrating warehouse so we can center it.

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

On the 520 its easy since the bed lifts up. On a 500 its a little harder. On the passenger side behind the battery box. It is mounted to it. On a 500 you have to unbolt and turn out the battery box. It is a heat sink looking part with fins and has two water tight plug in. A three wire plug you follow right down to the motor and two wire plug that has red and green wires a main charging wire and a ground.

Thanks guys. Now I will be checking more stuff like lug nuts.

Robertb52

Robertb52

Feb 13, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
Both of your problems were dealer caused issues. Lack of good setup guy and QC protocols.

Skid plates are installed by dealers, the wheel is left loose at uncrating warehouse so we can center it.
Good to know; as with everything else in life-its easier to pass blame than accept responsibility. The dealer passed blame on to the mfg.

Reactions: Mudder and Jerryg
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

Only 2 scenarios possible here.

The dealer is grossly incompetent or it was done on purpose.

Either way, I would stay away from that dealer.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Still waiting on one myself.

I am thinking about asking for one in the crate, like when you buy a Honda Mower from Home Depot.

M

mrscanham

Jan 23, 2021
Portland oregon
Ownership

1. 500
I'm OP's wife- I so agree with you! We paid almost 1k on dealership fees! We will definitely be asking for a free 50 hour service comp or similar. I had to walk 3.5 miles after being stranded with a dead sxs that shouldn't have happened if they had done their paid job properly!

Robertb52

Robertb52

Feb 13, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

I am thinking about asking for one in the crate, like when you buy a Honda Mower from Home Depot.
I got lucky with that regards. I had been hounding a few dealerships and then one day, HondaWorld had four of them. They had a green already purchased and a red one with all sorts of winter gear installed. Personally, not interested in full doors or an enclosed cab and although a plow would be nice, I couldn't justify it for my house (only had to use the snow blower 3 this year). With a picture text from the sales rep of a blue one in a crate waiting to be put together; I said Id take that one. Picked it up the next day along with nerfbars, cargo bag, roof, dust screen and bed rails (although the rails are on backorder).

I would like to think I can honestly say I'm the first one to fart in the seats :p

And I can't really say anything bad about the dealer. I believe they did me a solid on trade, gear and accessories. Just surprised on the QC.

Robertb52

Robertb52

Feb 13, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
I'm OP's wife- I so agree with you! We paid almost 1k on dealership fees! We will definitely be asking for a free 50 hour service comp or similar. I had to walk 3.5 miles after being stranded with a dead sxs that shouldn't have happened if they had done their paid job properly!
I would embellish a little to get that 50 hour comp.

I had to walk 3.5 miles, mostly up hill and through a 2ft' deep ravine after being stranded with a dead sxs that shouldn't have happened if they had done their paid job properly! Not only that, my dog was mauled by a cougar and suffered a mild case of hypothermia on the walk back as it began to rain half way back to the pickup truck.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I wouldn't take it back there for anything, free or not.

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I would embellish a little to get that 50 hour comp.

I had to walk 3.5 miles, mostly up hill and through a 2ft' deep ravine after being stranded with a dead sxs that shouldn't have happened if they had done their paid job properly! Not only that, my dog was mauled by a cougar and suffered a mild case of hypothermia on the walk back as it began to rain half way back to the pickup truck.
Thanks man I will never hear the end of this story she will be adding bits and pieces to it for years

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
FYI, had a Voltage Regulator go bad on my 2017 after two years. Heat of summer and idling. It was putting out 14 -16 spikes and fried a battery. Unbolted it from back of battery box.

H

HondaTech

We can't sell any units without setup and PDI. Only power equipment can be sold that way.

Reactions: Jerryg
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
For sure, we do get extra warranty money if we work on a product npt sold by us. So theres that
We went from selling 600 units to 200.

Honda is going to do what is good for Honda, watch your back.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!