P500 520 Ordered!

jroot327

jroot327

Nov 26, 2020
IL
Ownership

1. 500
First post here guys. I put a deposit on a new red 520 today as the allocations seem to be slim for dealers all over. I have done a ton of research on here before deciding to go with the little Honda. I really like the dump bed the 520 has over the 500, and seems like it will be the perfect little workhorse. This machine will be used almost exclusively at my hunting property for firewood hauling, hanging tree stand and blinds, doing food plot work, and of course hauling game, etc. Some of you guys scare me with the amount of mods you have. lol. I'm trying to keep mine fairly simple as it will be a work machine. So far the options I have added are:

-Factory front bumper - protection for brush busting and running over saplings/trees
-Bimini top - Have heard this is surprisingly durable for the cost. Will upgrade to an EMP if it sucks.
-Crossroads3D Glovebox - No brainer for storage I think as these things have none from the factory.
-EMP Underhood storage (If it fits the 520) - Mainly for recovery gear and repair gear which I already have from my Brute Force I'm getting rid of. Again more storage.
-ITP Mudlite 2s - 26x9 fronts and 26x11 rears. Plan on putting them on stock rims and seeing how it goes. My land is pretty flat and if I hit an obstacle its probably water/mud so I'm not sure if it being tippy will be an issue(I'll add spacers if it is). I've read that these are radials or handle like radials, and are geared towards the muddy conditions I see most. I've also run ITPs on my other quads and had good luck with them.
-Honda Chainsaw mount
-Winch - See question below...

Things I'll consider in the future:
-Skids
-Locker

My only question is regarding the winch. I don't know why Hondas factory winch is only 2500 lbs for this machine. I'd like a 3500 or 4500. I am not savvy when it comes to electronics and don't want to jack up my brand new machine trying to install a winch. So my question is, is the factory 2500 enough? Or do I go with a KFI mount (I like the top mount better anyways) and have the dealer install a large winch. Thinking I want to go warn as I've never had an issue with them on 3 machines. I'm leaning towards a VRX 4500. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Can't wait to get it! TIA

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
My only question is regarding the winch. I don't know why Hondas factory winch is only 2500 lbs for this machine. I'd like a 3500 or 4500. I am not savvy when it comes to electronics and don't want to jack up my brand new machine trying to install a winch. So my question is, is the factory 2500 enough? Or do I go with a KFI mount (I like the top mount better anyways) and have the dealer install a large winch. Thinking I want to go warn as I've never had an issue with them on 3 machines. I'm leaning towards a VRX 4500. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Can't wait to get it! TIA
bigger is always better.
Ya, I think a 2500 is too small myself for the 500. I try to recomend 3500 or better.

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
First post here guys. I put a deposit on a new red 520 today as the allocations seem to be slim for dealers all over. I have done a ton of research on here before deciding to go with the little Honda. I really like the dump bed the 520 has over the 500, and seems like it will be the perfect little workhorse. This machine will be used almost exclusively at my hunting property for firewood hauling, hanging tree stand and blinds, doing food plot work, and of course hauling game, etc. Some of you guys scare me with the amount of mods you have. lol. I'm trying to keep mine fairly simple as it will be a work machine. So far the options I have added are:

-Factory front bumper - protection for brush busting and running over saplings/trees
-Bimini top - Have heard this is surprisingly durable for the cost. Will upgrade to an EMP if it sucks.
-Crossroads3D Glovebox - No brainer for storage I think as these things have none from the factory.
-EMP Underhood storage (If it fits the 520) - Mainly for recovery gear and repair gear which I already have from my Brute Force I'm getting rid of. Again more storage.
-ITP Mudlite 2s - 26x9 fronts and 26x11 rears. Plan on putting them on stock rims and seeing how it goes. My land is pretty flat and if I hit an obstacle its probably water/mud so I'm not sure if it being tippy will be an issue(I'll add spacers if it is). I've read that these are radials or handle like radials, and are geared towards the muddy conditions I see most. I've also run ITPs on my other quads and had good luck with them.
-Honda Chainsaw mount

-Skids
-Locker

Welcome from WNC... If the 520 is as bulletproof as the 500 you will love it they are great little machines and you have found one great forum to come to for info and there is a great group of guys on here with a wealth of knowledge

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Yo

-Honda Chainsaw mount

-Skids
-Locker

Yeah 3500 minimum IMO. KFI mount and the winch of your choice, good to go.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome. Replaced a 2500 winch with a 3500. Much better and would say 3500 is perfect. Power steering is a great mod, keep room under the hood for it. On the front bumper for running over saplings, seriously look at the Strongmade. You can mount the winch directly on it.

A342A4C2 2744 431C B767 BA1A2A62045F

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Love my Strongmade bumper (and KFI 4500). If you trail ride, sooner or later there will be a tree down across the trail! I always carry a bow saw and loppers; I don't always carry a chain saw.

Sometimes, ya gotta push through:
IMG 2467

jroot327

jroot327

Nov 26, 2020
IL
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome. Replaced a 2500 winch with a 3500. Much better and would say 3500 is perfect. Power steering is a great mod, keep room under the hood for it. On the front bumper for running over saplings, seriously look at the Strongmade. You can mount the winch directly on it.

View attachment 241532

Ever wish you had more than 3500?

Love my Strongmade bumper (and KFI 4500). If you trail ride, sooner or later there will be a tree down across the trail! I always carry a bow saw and loppers; I don't always carry a chain saw.

Sometimes, ya gotta push through:
View attachment 241546

Usually have that stuff with me being on a hunting property, but I will usually have the chainsaw if I'm going somewhere on the property that could get hairy.

Reactions: J80 and Mudder
TBea

TBea

Supporting Member
Dec 6, 2020
So. Cal.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm new to the UTV world & I put a deposit down for 520. i'm glad I found this forum and looking forward to asking for advice, since I come from a dirt bike back ground. My world High Sierras, Mojave Desert, Baja. I like the idea of engine braking, this 520 will be around a lot of steep hills and canyons, 3500-7000'. The "Last 2 Miles" on our property has narrow 50" trails. I don't need a fast rig, just reliable rig.

jroot327

jroot327

Nov 26, 2020
IL
Ownership

1. 500
I’d slap a Badlands 5k on it, can’t beat the sale price at around $150.

I've heard of them mentioned. I've also heard of them having issues with breaking down, and without much of a warranty I'm not sure I want to go that route. If I go cheap I'm thinking Mile Marker Maverick 5K for like $185, but I'm leaning towards just going all out, one and done, on an Axon. Not sure which direction I'm going yet. Thanks!

advertisement
jroot327

jroot327

Nov 26, 2020
IL
Ownership

1. 500
I'm new to the UTV world & I put a deposit down for 520. i'm glad I found this forum and looking forward to asking for advice, since I come from a dirt bike back ground. My world High Sierras, Mojave Desert, Baja. I like the idea of engine braking, this 520 will be around a lot of steep hills and canyons, 3500-7000'. The "Last 2 Miles" on our property has narrow 50" trails. I don't need a fast rig, just reliable rig.

Well I know this. Its a Honda so you have the reliable part covered. Any idea when your dealer said yours would be in. Mine was 2/28.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've heard of them mentioned. I've also heard of them having issues with breaking down, and without much of a warranty I'm not sure I want to go that route. If I go cheap I'm thinking Mile Marker Maverick 5K for like $185, but I'm leaning towards just going all out, one and done, on an Axon. Not sure which direction I'm going yet. Thanks!
For the most part I’ve read nothing but good things on the badlands winches but all winches have failures no matter the brand.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
For the most part I’ve read nothing but good things on the badlands winches but all winches have failures no matter the brand.
Have a Badlands 2500 for a ladder lift, 2500 on the tractor, 3500 for the P500 and a 12000 for truck. No issues over the years. Wondering how many brand motors are made by the same factory, different decals? (Like the Power Steering ones).

Reactions: J80
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have a Badlands 2500 for a ladder lift, 2500 on the tractor, 3500 for the P500 and a 12000 for truck. No issues over the years. Wondering how many brand motors are made by the same factory, different decals? (Like the Power Steering ones).
Believe SATV said there are only a few, most have the same internals.

jroot327

jroot327

Nov 26, 2020
IL
Ownership

1. 500

The one thing that scares me is the waterproof rating on the Badlands. My property has a lot of slick little mud/water/swamp areas that could give that fits. The brand that I've found so far that are IP68 are Superwinch, Warn, and Mile Marker which is why I will probably go with one of them. But sure that all have failures. Thats where maybe the warranty on the Warn or Superwinch would be worth the price.

Reactions: J80
S

Santa

Jul 30, 2018
Kimberly, WI
Ownership

1. 500
I have tried to find out what the speed limiter setting is on the new 520. Dealer says they don't know and I can't find any info on the Honda website. Does anyone know if it is the sorry 39mph limit as on the 500 or if Honda upped it a bit to 45 or 50. I do a lot of trail/gravel/blacktop road driving here in northeaster Wisconsin and the 39mph limit is a hazard when on 55mph speed limit county roads. That being said --if you get as much enjoyment out of your new 520 as I get out of my 500--you will be a happy owner.

jroot327

jroot327

Nov 26, 2020
IL
Ownership

1. 500
I have tried to find out what the speed limiter setting is on the new 520. Dealer says they don't know and I can't find any info on the Honda website. Does anyone know if it is the sorry 39mph limit as on the 500 or if Honda upped it a bit to 45 or 50. I do a lot of trail/gravel/blacktop road driving here in northeaster Wisconsin and the 39mph limit is a hazard when on 55mph speed limit county roads. That being said --if you get as much enjoyment out of your new 520 as I get out of my 500--you will be a happy owner.

I didn't ask, but I doubt they know. Info on these seems to be being kept pretty tight for now. With that said I do almost no road riding, and mostly ATV 2 tracks on our wooded property or riding through the woods. Top end wasn't much of a concern for me. Shouldn't be much different for reliability. Same trans, and just a larger version of the same motor. Upgraded suspension(we will see how upgraded). Hoping for the same luck most have had with the 500 from that standpoint.

J

Jhnrght2

Nov 18, 2020
Manitowoc, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn't ask, but I doubt they know. Info on these seems to be being kept pretty tight for now. With that said I do almost no road riding, and mostly ATV 2 tracks on our wooded property or riding through the woods. Top end wasn't much of a concern for me. Shouldn't be much different for reliability. Same trans, and just a larger version of the same motor. Upgraded suspension(we will see how upgraded). Hoping for the same luck most have had with the 500 from that standpoint.

J

Jhnrght2

Nov 18, 2020
Manitowoc, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see you’re in Illinois. If you want to test drive one before yours comes in, there’s a dealership in Wisconsin with a new one, and they have a test “track” at the dealership. I bought my 1k-5 there a few months ago. I just looked, and they still have the 520 there.

J

Jhnrght2

Nov 18, 2020
Manitowoc, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see you’re in Illinois. If you want to test drive one before yours comes in, there’s a dealership in Wisconsin with a new one, and they have a test “track” at the dealership. I bought my 1k-5 there a few months ago. I just looked, and they still have the 520 there.
Never mind, they sold the 2021, they only have a 2020 500. Sorry for false info. They do have a 700, and a 1k though.

advertisement