P700 600 mile Service, Odd finding

N

n3v3rl8

Jul 28, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
Been lurking a while, finally got around to my 600 mile service on my 2016 P700. Two odd things I discovered in changing all the fluids, the front differential oil came out it was mostly an appropriate oil color but there was something suspended in the oil that was white in color. I wouldn't say it was water in the diff fluid, but more like break in oil looking. wasn't sure if these diff's used a break in oil from the factory. I changed it out as well as rear diff, oil, air, and checked my valves (amazingly didn't need adjusting). But when I pulled the plugs I got concerned. The top plug came out normal looking. The lower plug, it was covered in some sort of cooked on metal flakes. Pictures attached. I flaked some of it off before taking the picture but there was no way that plug had been firing properly. Have others seen this? I'm right at 600 miles and was kinda surprised the plugs were worn as much as they were. The machine doesn't use oil, Doesn't smoke, or any other problems but I was concerned about the state of that one plug. Also, after changing the differential oil / oil change has everyone else noticed a significant decrease in noise? It was dramatic, even though the diff's were full with the old fluid they sure chattered and whined alot.

IMG 0813 IMG 0812

Reactions: Buggyman
KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Can't comment on the plugs. However, I changed our '21 P700-4 front and rear diffs to Mobil 1 70-140 gear lube. The result was the gears sound as if they are running smoother. Basically a slight decrease in noise, but they seem smoother.

Our machine is at 650 mi and all's good, no oil burn, clean plugs, starts great, battery is fine (kept on trickle charger when in garage). Tires are starting to show some good wear, think they may go another 500 mi before replacing with Tusk Terrabites.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would say the white probably was water. Hot, cold, hot, cold, causes condensation.
It is a small amount, but it does accumulate over time.....2016-2023 is 7 years.
The plug looks like the all to common problem of not getting hot, often enough.
Yard work, farm work, does not get the plugs hot enough to burn off the carbon.
600 miles......on a 2016???? I am surprised they are not worse.
Idling and low engine temps cause plugs to foul.
When a plug gets hot, it burns off the thin layer of carbon.
If the carbon layer gets to thick, it can no longer burn it off.
Then, the only fix is to change/clean the plug.
After doing the chores, take it out and drive it like you stole it. ;)
Get it, fan coming on, HOT, at a minimum, weekly.
You may find the fun in it and do it more often. hahaha 👍
Have a good day

N

n3v3rl8

Jul 28, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
Lol, good points. I use it around the property for chores and haven't really used it for fun. For off roading I have a jeep, so to help remedy the low mileage and low use I think I'm gonna drag it to an off road park and see what this little thing will do. When it's doing chores, it does idle a bit much but it generally pulls about 1000lbs of firewood on a trailer outta the woods at a time.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Folks put things with engines in storage (or don't use them very often), then think all they have to do is start them up and run them for two minutes a few times a year. Wrong. Normal combustion creates (among other things) water vapor (often in the oil). Failing to run an engine up to operating temperature means the moisture can't evaporate. That's one reason why engines that are not operated very often or not heated up enough develop problems related to moisture, unburned fuel, corrosion, coke, carbon, etc.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The owner's manual says change the front and rear dif oil every 2 years regardless of mileage. I put on around 12,000 miles a year so I change mine more often. The engine oil should be changed every year even if you only have 50 to 300 miles. For low mileage use go by hours. I think 50 hours is enough for an oil change. I usually don't start my Honda's unless I'm going to drive them 10 miles or more. I always let them fully warm up and a brief ride if I just need to move them.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!