BOX1

P700 700-4 dual or big battery

infyx

infyx

Jan 26, 2023
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Went with the NLP20 from Noco. Will report back. Bought from Amazon for the hassle free returns should it not work out.

Reactions: CID and Remington
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a stock 2021 700-4D. I have my heated gear from riding my motorcycle, which I no longer ride, and was thinking I could use the gear for winter sxs rides. Will my stock battery be able to handle this accessory or do I need a larger capacity battery?
It’s not the battery that has to be up to your heated riding gear, the alternator/stator has to be able to handle the load. Other than short uses, maybe like plowing the driveway, any battery will die trying to heat your gear if the charging system can’t handle the load.

You need to know how many amps are available from the 700 and how many the heated gear uses to know if it will work. Found it, the 700 has 37 amps but some of that runs the buggy, so your gear has to draw less than about 25 amps (a wild azz guess).

Last edited:
S

Sudani

Jul 20, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
It’s not the battery that has to be up to your heated riding gear, the alternator/stator has to be able to handle the load. Other than short uses, maybe like plowing the driveway, any battery will die trying to heat your gear if the charging system can’t handle the load.

You need to know how many amps are available from the 700 and how many the heated gear uses to know if it will work. Found it, the 700 has 37 amps but some of that runs the buggy, so your gear has to draw less than about 25 amps (a wild azz guess).
Thank you. I’ll check my Gerber gloves and liner jacket for amps required.

Reactions: CID
S

Sudani

Jul 20, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Gerbing! Ok, Amps: I should be ok.
  • Power: 12V DC 1.1 Amp Each Glove
  • 2.2 amps for gloves
  • Jacket Liner:
  • Power: 12v DC 6.5 Amp

J

jsahara24

Jun 20, 2022
PA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Does anyone know how does the LifePO battery charges in the winter? I thought they needed to be above freezing in order to charge.

infyx

infyx

Jan 26, 2023
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
People use them in solar setups. I am up in Maine, so I can report back on that too!

J

jsahara24

Jun 20, 2022
PA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah but I think they keep them in the cabin where its heated. If its left unheated when they leave I think they disconnect them, but I'm far from an expert on the subject.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does anyone know how does the LifePO battery charges in the winter? I thought they needed to be above freezing in order to charge.

Yeah but I think they keep them in the cabin where its heated. If its left unheated when they leave I think they disconnect them, but I'm far from an expert on the subject.
Hmmm, I don’t have a clue. 🤔

Your heated gear draws a lot less than I thought. My buddies have suggested the same idea for me.

Reactions: Sudani
infyx

infyx

Jan 26, 2023
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I reached out to Noco on this.
They said “Storage and operating temperatures are rated at -4F to 140F (-20C to 60C)”

J

jsahara24

Jun 20, 2022
PA
Ownership

1. 700-2
That's good to hear! I wonder how they are doing that, I'll have to look into it more.

infyx

infyx

Jan 26, 2023
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
She indicated if the battery detects temps outside of that range, it shuts itself down to protect itself.
I’ll give it a go. Hoping it works out because it seems like a really nice battery! Thankfully it’s winter now, so should be able to start testing day 1.

infyx

infyx

Jan 26, 2023
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
First report.
the terminals are flipped on this battery.
the stock wires won’t reach because of this.
So I either need to cut and extend the stock wires or just use this battery as a second.

leaning towards second battery at this point. Seems easier.

anyone ever put the second battery in the glovebox? This thing fits perfect in there…

J

jsahara24

Jun 20, 2022
PA
Ownership

1. 700-2
I looked up the users manual on my prior charging question, they do address it....I am picturing myself out plowing snow, using lights, radio and the winch and the battery not charging....Guess it depends on your climate, having said that the battery can probably handle it anyway as they can be discharged 100% with little negative effect.....just makes me nervous....

"In order to protect the lithium cells, the BMS will not allow charging below -10ºC (14.0°F). Once the battery temperature reaches -10ºC (14.0°F) or higher, charging will be allowed."

I think I would probably make it my second battery, and not sure about the glove box. I don't think I'd be willing to give it up, I put so much stuff in there....

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I looked up the users manual on my prior charging question, they do address it....I am picturing myself out plowing snow, using lights, radio and the winch and the battery not charging....Guess it depends on your climate, having said that the battery can probably handle it anyway as they can be discharged 100% with little negative effect.....just makes me nervous....

"In order to protect the lithium cells, the BMS will not allow charging below -10ºC (14.0°F). Once the battery temperature reaches -10ºC (14.0°F) or higher, charging will be allowed."

I think I would probably make it my second battery, and not sure about the glove box. I don't think I'd be willing to give it up, I put so much stuff in there....
Install a digital voltmeter, they’re cheap. If you get below 12.5 volts, turn something off.

Main on top, aux on bottom.

Reactions: Smitty335
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!