P700 700-4 on HMT

B

brassspike

Jun 30, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I thought the wife and I would take a little excursion to the Hatfield Mccoy trails with our 700-4 and do some riding and sightseeing. I booked a place between Sprearhead and HMT. Doing more research around the intertweb it seems that these trails may be more for WFO types in full on Razors etc. I even saw one say sxs should stay on the ranch. Ours is pretty capable but not race fast. We want to enjoy ourselves not get run over. Going during the week to avoid weekend craziness, hopefully. Are our type sxs not welcome on these trails? First timer so any advice is helpful. What else do we need to know running these trail systems?
Thanks

Reactions: WagginTail
Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Never been but want to so very interested in the answers.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took my 700-4 to HMT in April. We rode Bearwallow, Buffalo Mountain, Devil Anse, and some of Rockhouse to get to Devil Anse. We always stay in Man, WV. Rockhouse trailhead is there and you can trailer to Bearwallow in 20 minutes and Buffalo Mountain in 45 minutes.

So I had 28" tires on my 700. We had about 250 pounds of gear on the back and 3 people riding. It was definitely lacking power going up alot of the hills. It went up all of them I tried but just not fast. And there were some hills I wanted to go up but just knew it wouldn't. Mainly the black trails which we didn't go on any. If you stay on green and blue trails you will be fine.
Also it was a fairly rough ride in the 700. There are a lot of water bars that you have to hit at the just the right speed, which was usually pretty slow. We did catch a little air on some of them though.
I didn't see many pioneers up there but they will welcome you. Don't worry about getting run over. You probably won't see many people there during the week. Friday and Saturday gets a lot busier. Hopefully my experience up there with my Pioneer doesn't discourage you. We still had a great time. I have been a lot with my Rincon and it's always a fun trip.
What specific trail systems are y'all planning on riding?

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A few after pics. I only took one on the trail during the 5 days we were there.
20210418 164422
20210418 164435
20210418 164448
Resized 20210415 104140

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We need some pics of your ride. All I could find was a pic of a torn cv boot? How you got it set up? Any aftermarket stuff?

Reactions: Mudwing
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I thought the wife and I would take a little excursion to the Hatfield Mccoy trails with our 700-4 and do some riding and sightseeing. I booked a place between Sprearhead and HMT. Doing more research around the intertweb it seems that these trails may be more for WFO types in full on Razors etc. I even saw one say sxs should stay on the ranch. Ours is pretty capable but not race fast. We want to enjoy ourselves not get run over. Going during the week to avoid weekend craziness, hopefully. Are our type sxs not welcome on these trails? First timer so any advice is helpful. What else do we need to know running these trail systems?
Thanks
I ride at HMT all the time, I rode there with a stock machine and I actually saw others on 700s as well. We stay at the Ashland resort. Matter of fact we have a cabin booked for this month on the 16th. This trip will be my 16 year old daughters first time on a 2 wheel drive Honda rancher. You will run into folks at trail heads and scenic spots but just ride with head lights on and stay off the black trails and the outlaw trails and you will be fine. There is no cell phone service on 80 % of the trails but they are marked well.
Stock machine does ok but with a shock upgrade,2” lift,28” tires it made it very capable. Also I have a Samsung Tab A tablet with Back country navigator that shows me where I’m at at all times. Take extra tools and if you are riding alone you should have a spare wheel and tire just in case. We ride Pocahontas/ pinnacle/ Indian ridge.

B

brassspike

Jun 30, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 700-4
I took my 700-4 to HMT in April. We rode Bearwallow, Buffalo Mountain, Devil Anse, and some of Rockhouse to get to Devil Anse. We always stay in Man, WV. Rockhouse trailhead is there and you can trailer to Bearwallow in 20 minutes and Buffalo Mountain in 45 minutes.

So I had 28" tires on my 700. We had about 250 pounds of gear on the back and 3 people riding. It was definitely lacking power going up alot of the hills. It went up all of them I tried but just not fast. And there were some hills I wanted to go up but just knew it wouldn't. Mainly the black trails which we didn't go on any. If you stay on green and blue trails you will be fine.
Also it was a fairly rough ride in the 700. There are a lot of water bars that you have to hit at the just the right speed, which was usually pretty slow. We did catch a little air on some of them though.
I didn't see many pioneers up there but they will welcome you. Don't worry about getting run over. You probably won't see many people there during the week. Friday and Saturday gets a lot busier. Hopefully my experience up there with my Pioneer doesn't discourage you. We still had a great time. I have been a lot with my Rincon and it's always a fun trip.
What specific trail systems are y'all planning on riding?
We'll be at trailhead resort, between HMT and Spearhead. We'll be on Pocahontas and pinnacle.
Just riding the two of us in the stock 700 with winch and rear tow hook. I've done the jeep thing years ago but never in the mountains. Should be fun! I'd love to try the more challenging stuff but we're by ourselves so we'll be pretty conservative.
Thanks for the insight.

G

Grasshopper

Jun 20, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
I just got back from there with a 700-4 on 26” tires no lift. We rode Pocahontas pinnacle and Indian ridge systems. You should have no problem on the green and blue trails the a few of the black ones we did made the wife upset but some of the blacks were not bad. I would have rather had a low range more than more top end speed.

B

brassspike

Jun 30, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 700-4
I just got back from there with a 700-4 on 26” tires no lift. We rode Pocahontas pinnacle and Indian ridge systems. You should have no problem on the green and blue trails the a few of the black ones we did made the wife upset but some of the blacks were not bad. I would have rather had a low range more than more top end speed.
Thanks, that's exactly where we plan to ride. Was there anything in particular that is a must see/do, overlooks etc.

G

Grasshopper

Jun 20, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
We enjoyed Indian ridge the most it wasn’t too dusty and it was almost like a rainforest with the thick canopy. It’s mostly in the shade and we got to see a few deer including a nice ten point buck. The connector trail between Pocahontas and Indian ridge is pretty rough I think it was trail 20. If you take the hard road between pinnacle and Pocahontas you have to go up over a pretty big mountain. I couldn’t keep up with my buddies on it. The connector trail going into pinnacle was pretty cool it’s a long trail next to a creek it was a little rough too there’s an old mine shaft that’s covered with concrete along there you can drop a rock down and it takes about 4 seconds to hit bottom.

B

brassspike

Jun 30, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 700-4
We enjoyed Indian ridge the most it wasn’t too dusty and it was almost like a rainforest with the thick canopy. It’s mostly in the shade and we got to see a few deer including a nice ten point buck. The connector trail between Pocahontas and Indian ridge is pretty rough I think it was trail 20. If you take the hard road between pinnacle and Pocahontas you have to go up over a pretty big mountain. I couldn’t keep up with my buddies on it. The connector trail going into pinnacle was pretty cool it’s a long trail next to a creek it was a little rough too there’s an old mine shaft that’s covered with concrete along there you can drop a rock down and it takes about 4 seconds to hit bottom.
Thanks alot!

B

brassspike

Jun 30, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the responses! They were very helpful.
We are on our way back home now, stopped for the night.
We stayed at the Trailhead Resort. It was a small but clean and friendly place. We didn't do spearhead but rode the black top to Pocahontas. No big deal there also if your on Pocahontas, check out the exhibition mine. We met up with another couple staying next door who were first timers so we did the first day together. They had a rental razer. We started on 10 and did several others until the rain got bad. The razer didn't have a windshield or much of a top so we headed in early. Being mid week and wet and rainy, there weren't many riders out so it was perfect for us. We did a bunch of green and some blue trails. The 700-4 did very well and took everything I threw its way. Not fast but had plenty of power to climb. I was impressed and ended up calling it billy goat. It turned much tighter than the razor too.
We were solo yesterday. There were more people out but not crowded and everyone we met was friendly. There were a few balls to the wall high enders out there but I only had one pair that were coming hot into a blind curve on me. Most everyone was going faster than we were but we just pulled over and waved. No problem there. I did try to keep up with one group that passed us and had plenty of speed to do so, it just beat the crap out of us and going that fast was work. I had full air in the tires and that is likely why. We wanted to enjoy the sights and the ride anyway.
We rode over to the other trails over to Indian Ridge, did a little there and then rode to Ashland for gas and eventually to Pinnacle. We really liked that best but didn't go all the way through it. We will definitely do all of that next time!
As we were leaving we saw a BUNCH of high power rides coming in, especially at Ashland. Nothing wrong with them, mind you but hammering those trails at that speed and with the blind curves has got to be dangerous. I really hate to meet them on a quad! We had a little slick mud but nothing like the deep stuff here and it actually was nice keeping the dust down until late yesterday and early today. That dust has got to suck when things are really dry.
Also, a local told me that there was an effort to get the property between, I believe, spearhead and Pocahontas into the trail system but the owner instead sold it to the Chinese and they don't know what will happen to it now.

Next time I'll air down some and hopefully wont blow a tire off the bead or end a rim.
The wife wants side doors when it rains.
More power would be nice and a little more speed on the blacktop.
It's noisy when on the road between trails with the windshield and roof on.
Pictures below also show where the bear pawed my truck (no scratches though) . He and I came within three feet of each other when I came out on the cabin porch at night! Both of us ran in different directions!! lol
That's on my phone so Ill post that as a reply.

Reactions: FlipKing
B

brassspike

Jun 30, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the responses! They were very helpful.
We are on our way back home now, stopped for the night.
We stayed at the Trailhead Resort. It was a small but clean and friendly place. We didn't do spearhead but rode the black top to Pocahontas. No big deal there also if your on Pocahontas, check out the exhibition mine. We met up with another couple staying next door who were first timers so we did the first day together. They had a rental razer. We started on 10 and did several others until the rain got bad. The razer didn't have a windshield or much of a top so we headed in early. Being mid week and wet and rainy, there weren't many riders out so it was perfect for us. We did a bunch of green and some blue trails. The 700-4 did very well and took everything I threw its way. Not fast but had plenty of power to climb. I was impressed and ended up calling it billy goat. It turned much tighter than the razor too.
We were solo yesterday. There were more people out but not crowded and everyone we met was friendly. There were a few balls to the wall high enders out there but I only had one pair that were coming hot into a blind curve on me. Most everyone was going faster than we were but we just pulled over and waved. No problem there. I did try to keep up with one group that passed us and had plenty of speed to do so, it just beat the crap out of us and going that fast was work. I had full air in the tires and that is likely why. We wanted to enjoy the sights and the ride anyway.
We rode over to the other trails over to Indian Ridge, did a little there and then rode to Ashland for gas and eventually to Pinnacle. We really liked that best but didn't go all the way through it. We will definitely do all of that next time!
As we were leaving we saw a BUNCH of high power rides coming in, especially at Ashland. Nothing wrong with them, mind you but hammering those trails at that speed and with the blind curves has got to be dangerous. I really hate to meet them on a quad! We had a little slick mud but nothing like the deep stuff here and it actually was nice keeping the dust down until late yesterday and early today. That dust has got to suck when things are really dry.
Also, a local told me that there was an effort to get the property between, I believe, spearhead and Pocahontas into the trail system but the owner instead sold it to the Chinese and they don't know what will happen to it now.

Next time I'll air down some and hopefully wont blow a tire off the bead or end a rim.
The wife wants side doors when it rains.
More power would be nice and a little more speed on the blacktop.
It's noisy when on the road between trails with the windshield and roof on.
Pictures below also show where the bear pawed my truck (no scratches though) . He and I came within three feet of each other when I came out on the cabin porch at night! Both of us ran in different directions!! lol
That's on my phone so Ill post that as a reply.

20210924 105048 20210924 105002 20210924 105011 20210923 172850 20210922 192447 20210922 192509 20210923 140338

K

KBaker

Oct 22, 2020
Maryland
Ownership

1. 700-4
We have taken our little 700 on the trails twice now. We are getting a used better fitted machine for these trips. But honestly, she does just fine. It is a rough ride for sure! lol but get some heavy duty tires...and/or a spare tire and some plugs. 4 Ply tires kinda suck. But we have done Pinnacle Creek, Indian Ridge, Pocahontas, and some outlaw trails. We did beer can alley and we did soggy bottom in that thing. Little more work than the bigger guys but she is a work horse!

B7D5F5ED 053A 4724 BBD9 22E75247C5EB 3B72D002 677F 44C2 B39B FFB58EC42286 CF199E23 A97D 4D12 B217 176A07BE5A65

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!