P700 700-4 vs Can Am Defender HD8

R

rhenry1031

May 7, 2018
Elkhorn, NE
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi All - anyone have experience with Pioneer & Defender?
I'm looking for any feedback on Pioneer 700-4 vs Can Am HD8. Looking for our family's first side-by-side for some minor yard work and mostly for riding around our neighborhood. Family of 3 so seating offered by each is probably sufficient yet the flip up seats in the Pioneer bed are appealing. More so looking to better understand long-term reliability and maintenance costs. I want to find something that will last a long time and allows me to do basis maintenance like oil changes, etc. I've searched the internet and since both models are relatively new, didn't find a lot outside of new model year reviews. We've narrowed it down to these two manufactures (i think) as seem to be best out there for quality. Reviews by loyalists are each are tough to differentiate the two so hoping to find someone who's had both.

I'd appreciate any personal experience you can share.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
We were in a similar dilemma last year while doing our homework. I kept reading online, found this forum after a bit and never left lol

Our needs were somewhat the same. We live in a 5000ish acre community with 16 lakes and a river that we cruise.
With top posted speed limits of 35 we didn't really need a speed demon (or the trouble it would most likely get me into lol)
We opted for the 700-4 deluxe mainly for being pretty much a proven bulletproof machine and the flip up seats when needed, and overall it just fit our needs for a reasonable price.
Still happy with our decision.

Superfan75

Superfan75

Jul 16, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 700-4
I thought for a little while about the Defender, but it's belt drive and it's a much larger machine. For now we use our machine on small fight trails the Pioneer 700-4 met our needs perfectly. Also the price of the Pioneer and Honda's legendary reliability made my decision. I've been very happy with our Pioneer.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
It’s going to be tough to find un-biased opinions in forums dedicated to that brand. Of course I’m going to tell you go Honda, after all I’ve got over 6000 trouble free miles on mine and it’s still going strong. If reliability is your number one priority it’s really tough to beat a Honda, particularly the tried and true 700 drivetrain which as you may know has been around for a long time in the Rincon.

I recommend considering the different features of each model to help reach your decision, the biggest being the different transmissions. Some people don’t mind a belt drive, and some manufacturers do it better than others but to me a real automotive type transmission is the only way to go...but that’s just me.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
You'll never out last a Honda with anything. So if longevity is a big deal (and its not to certain people), go with the Pioneer. Honestly, what You've described sounds like it will fit the Pioneer perfectly. The Defenders are well-done machines and i tend to be pretty unbiased, but for you i think its Honda. And there will be room for 1 more (unless you're getting the MAX?).

FWIW, the HD5 is probably a more fair comparison to the Pioneer. The Pioneer is tough as nails, but not particularly powerful for its size.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
The defender sure is one ugly ride..
That's all I got, These guys are right about reliability in the 700. I just pulled 3300 lbs the other day on my trailer.
But it's the 4 seat/bed versatility that is best to me.

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Both of those will suit you fine. But a golf cart would probably work better from the sound of it....

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
The defender sure is one ugly ride..
That's all I got, These guys are right about reliability in the 700. I just pulled 3300 lbs the other day on my trailer.
But it's the 4 seat/bed versatility that is best to me.

I agree!

Reactions: Superfan75
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I cant speak about any other machines,but my '15 700-4 has been trouble free for its first 2700 miles. The only thing I've have to do were normal maintenance items and tires. As others have said,for longevity you can't go wrong with a honda.

Reactions: Superfan75

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!