Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Has anyone heard if the 700 will be coming out with turf mode anytime soon? I'd like to get out from under my 2014 cam eater but the wife isn't too keen and the 1000 price tag and I'd rather not have to buy all new accessories again. @HondaTech How many years does Honda go before major model changes? Ten?

Reactions: Mudwing
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
25 if quads, 2 if big red.
kinda doubt youd see much change like that. a lot tires besides the stock junk would be better on the lawn. harder tires like truck radials any of the bigger radials really. the soft bias tires really dig

Reactions: swsebek and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Turf mode would be nice but it’s really in the way you drive it in the yard. Drive it like there’s a 40’ trailer behind you and you’ll be fine, drive it like a smart car whipping into a parking spot at the mall and look out for ruts.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks but I doubt tires will ease my mind of when is the next cam going to go. The stock tires actually do ok in the lawn compared to my Big horns. But I'm always looking for the perfect machine and price. You're probably right though, they seldom change something unless its a big problem. Reminds me of my 86' trx Fourtrax 4x4.....it has an electric fuel pump and won't run if the battery is dead. They changed that so guys wouldn't get stranded. Even the 700 changed from one spark plug to two which I believe was a direct result of @DG Rider 's mountain excursions.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
if they had gone simple like Yamaha front or a jeep setup it would be nice but the 1000 is way too much for someone like me who is covered in mud and snow and negative temps to complicated. the 4wd Hondas way would have to have the wheel sensors and all that crap to work with turf made. the front of Yamaha and a lot of then are just open then locked with a solenoid. simple and almost never brakes, if they had that on the front and back would be worth desiring. I know a lot of people that had fourtrax forever my friends two in the mid 90s and we rode the snot out of them still going. I really don't think the cam deal is going to be experienced by everyone, at least I hope. going to chang the oil more often than they say let it warm up like they say and I normally leave it running when its real cold when I am stopping alot

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks but I doubt tires will ease my mind of when is the next cam going to go. The stock tires actually do ok in the lawn compared to my Big horns. But I'm always looking for the perfect machine and price. You're probably right though, they seldom change something unless its a big problem. Reminds me of my 86' trx Fourtrax 4x4.....it has an electric fuel pump and won't run if the battery is dead. They changed that so guys wouldn't get stranded. Even the 700 changed from one spark plug to two which I believe was a direct result of @DG Rider 's mountain excursions.
I'd like to think i had that much power, but the O2 was an emissions thing. The kingquad (and prob several others i don't know about) also got similar changes around the same time.

People keep repeating the mantra that the O2 "fixes" the high altitude issues the 700 has...but it doesn't. Under certain circumstances, those machines might provide a touch more power depending on how engine production tolerances stack up, but those increases would be across the elevation range. If someone needs further proof, consider that several people with 2015 and up machines have complained about it. Most people don't ride at 5000+ feet, and maybe aren't as demanding is i am/was of the thing. So for most, it does just fine.

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I too think the 700 will be phased out.
But I would love turf mode.
But I guess I will just go back and forth a couple long times in the yard.o_O
I don't know if they will kill it (don't think so)...but i think its more likely to get a full redo than just a diff change...Or (sadly), just a low range, which is all it really needs.

If it does get a redo, It will be DCT because honda has its dick stuck in the DCT chick right now, and thats too bad. The torque converter really makes it special to me, and i'd love to see what it could have been with a low range.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I have owned several Polaris Rangers (can you even say that here, LOL), and personally, I like turf mode for a couple reasons: a) easy on yard and b) it makes the unit easier to steer through tight places, i.e., one wheel pushing you through while the other is just tagging along vs. both pushing equally forward. I do, however, believe Honda will reserve this to the 1000 models and above as a price point issue, but who knows...

I would like to see it on the P500 along with a differential locker, :)

Reactions: Bastardchild
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
wish the 700 had a little higher 3rd. so 45 was a bit more comfortable but the rest seems ok. we don't have much rocks but seems ok for mud and hauling wood. also would be nice if the cage was 6ft.

Reactions: gch1911 and Mudwing
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't know if they will kill it (don't think so)...but i think its more likely to get a full redo than just a diff change...Or (sadly), just a low range, which is all it really needs.

If it does get a redo, It will be DCT because honda has its dick stuck in the DCT chick right now, and thats too bad. The torque converter really makes it special to me, and i'd love to see what it could have been with a low range.

It would be a bad move to delete the torque. It alone is what brought Honda into the sxs game. I remember waiting year after year for someone to build a sxs without a belt drive. The Big Red's looks delayed the process a bit but I was sure glad to see it was Honda that broke the mold.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!