P700 700 camshaft issue

S

Samre

Jan 30, 2021
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Big Red
Hi, i am pretty new to this and I know its probably in the wrong place but... Is there anywhere to buy a complete rebuilt engine for a Honda MUV700, 2013 ...
Thanks for any help.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a 2015 pioneer 700-4 that I am currently troubleshooting. It idles perfectly, but when I press the accelerator I can only get up to about 6-8 mph then it seems like the limiter is kicking in in Drive. Is this the issue that the cam change fixed??
Yes, but check the exhaust and everything else 1st. How many miles does it have? They usually go out early if they're going to. Edit.....early if it's from the same defect. Cams can go for a variety of reasons but if you have low miles and it's out...... you have every reason to ask for compensation.

Last edited:
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've never taken one apart, so this qualifies as a WAG question . . . wonder if they changed anything with regard to cam lubrication? Oil gallery ports, etc. Honda usually, but not always, gets things right. On my S2000, they found that running above 6,000 rpm for over 30 minutes (IIRC), caused oil starvation to the rear and maybe front piston rod crank ends. The fix was increasing the size of the oil ports. If you don't run motocross, you'd never experience a problem. I don't, so haven't bothered to do the upgrade.

The main consensus is that there was a surface hardening issue that went on for far too long before Honda showed any interest. The cams literally sit in a cup of oil so all signs point to manufacturing defects vs lack of oil. The weird part was the randomness. Mine went out at 680 miles under very limited and basic use. No high revs or beasting in the mud etc.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a 2015 pioneer 700-4 that I am currently troubleshooting. It idles perfectly, but when I press the accelerator I can only get up to about 6-8 mph then it seems like the limiter is kicking in in Drive. Is this the issue that the cam change fixed??

If your cam is bad.....make sure you're getting a recently made part. With parts etc being hard to get, I'd hate to see you get an old dusty "bad one" from off someones shelf.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!