P700 700 shift points

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are the shift points as they relate to speed on the 700?
In other words, "generally speaking" is 1st from 0-15 / second from 15-30 / and 3rd from 30-45?
If 1st was redlined where would it top out? 12? 15? 20?

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I would say that's pretty close. I will double check this afternoon

Reactions: 500
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
With all your questions about the transmission I can't help but wonder what you're plotting over there! Care to fill us in?

Reactions: Montecresto

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With all your questions about the transmission I can't help but wonder what you're plotting over there! Care to fill us in?
I am curious if the MT option will assist in downhill braking as I have no idea if the 700 Auto upshifts freewheeling downhill or not? If it does, then that would answer my question on the MT helping that plus knowing the redline in first would give me the speed at which it would hold descenting.
I am very intrigued by the 700-4 Deluxe with MT option - that is why I'm gathering intel ;)

Reactions: Tflynn
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My shift points are usually from 1st to 2nd at 12mph and from 2nd to 3rd at 18mph. This can change depending how you ride, but I am pretty conservative and this is usually where they are. On down grades it will keep you in first and tries to hold back about 8mph. This can go up to 12 or more, but as long as you don't have your foot on the gas it will hold in first gear. It really does try to keep you slow, but it just can't do it without a little brake. I really don't see the MT being much advantage with the 3 speed trans. My opinion of course.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My shift points are usually from 1st to 2nd at 12mph and from 2nd to 3rd at 18mph. This can change depending how you ride, but I am pretty conservative and this is usually where they are. On down grades it will keep you in first and tries to hold back about 8mph. This can go up to 12 or more, but as long as you don't have your foot on the gas it will hold in first gear. It really does try to keep you slow, but it just can't do it without a little brake. I really don't see the MT being much advantage with the 3 speed trans. My opinion of course.
Excellent feedback.
Thanks

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2

Mine is close to this. I would have said 13 and 17MPH.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What are the shift points as they relate to speed on the 700?
In other words, "generally speaking" is 1st from 0-15 / second from 15-30 / and 3rd from 30-45?
If 1st was redlined where would it top out? 12? 15? 20?
My experience with the 700 (which presently is but one tank of gas) is that it depends. If I'm just easing into the gas on the level, or in a decent, it will shift sooner, lower speed and RPM's, if I'm climbing a hill and have my foot deep in it, it will increase to a higher speed and RPM before it shifts, not unlike a car.

Reactions: jawquin and Tflynn
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Sounds EXACTLY like my previous Honda Rincon with maybe a little higher shift between 2nd and 3rd but honestly that only happened when I drove on the road and I usually wasn't paying attention to the shift points instead of watching for cars. ;) However, since usually ran around 25 MPH, it would usually shift a little bit before I hit my "cruising speed". :)

Hitting 12-13 MPH going down the hill behind my house without the brakes was my primary reason for going with the P1000 instead of the P700.

The time I found the ESP useful on the Rincon was in climbing steep hills around the bluffs. If I didn't put it in ESP and hold it in 1st gear it would sometimes want to jump back and forth between 1st and 2nd at inappropriate times. I don't like that when I am driving up a hill. Otherwise I never used it other than just playing around.

The 5 gear transmission on my wife's Recon was a much more useful range of gearing.

advertisement
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
X2

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!