700Muv starter problems

R

Rdotts

Oct 24, 2020
Indiana USA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a 700 mug and the starter bangs hard and will not start. I have replaced the battery and the starter what else could cause this

Reactions: TxDoc
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Could be the starter selenoid getting weak by hitting hard im guessing the bendix is kicking out but your not turning the motor?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TxDoc
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I would open the rear and turn the motor just to make sure its not the motor. I really hate to say it on something simple but i always like to cover every possibility.

H

HondaTech

Could be the starter selenoid getting weak by hitting hard im guessing the bendix is kicking out but your not turning the motor?

Honda starters are always directly connected, no bendix required.

Sounds like the gears are bound up or didn't get lined up properly at some point

Reactions: wrhii
bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Definitely make sure motor isn't locked up, but there is no bendix starter turns a one way bearing on crankshaft.

Reactions: wrhii
bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Easiest way to ck solenoid is take screw driver and jump across 2 big terminals on solenoid if it still make the noise and no crank theres something wrong with starter or engine is locked up

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4

Sounds like the gears are bound up or didn't get lined up properly at some point
Might have the wrong word for it but then again i havent tore into my starter before. The starter gear and flywheel are always touching?

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Its a one way bearing when starter turns it will lock up going forward once engine starts it will act just like a normal bearing and just spin

advertisement
H

HondaTech

Might have the wrong word for it but then again i havent tore into my starter before. The starter gear and flywheel are always touching?

Yeah, that's the reason they have a starter "clutch" that allows the flywheel gear to freewheel when running.

Reactions: Alan_Vander
bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Its a really good system. I have been on atvs leaning up over handle bars climbing hills and hit the button and it will cause no damage a bendix style can and will blow the starter out or crack the case

R

Rdotts

Oct 24, 2020
Indiana USA
Ownership

1. 700-4

I took the starter off and looks like the shaft of the starter is stripped off and maybe the bearing gears is my problem how hard is this to replace

H

HondaTech

I took the starter off and looks like the shaft of the starter is stripped off and maybe the bearing gears is my problem how hard is this to replace

The starter gears can be accessed by removing the stator cover and flywheel.
Take the right rear wheel off and you can do it in the unit. If you jack it up high enough you won't even lose any oil.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!