77 is the number - Honda Pioneer Horse Power

V

Vital

Jun 14, 2015
Well, yeah okay, but all Polaris has to do is reflash the computer to get 75 horsepower in the Ranger since it is the same motor as the 75 hp RZR 900 and since the Honda will most likely be heavier the performance will be about the same or better. And if they want more power all they have to do is put the RZR 1000 in there and instant 110 horsepower, but a utility suspended vehicle doesn't need 110 so they will stay around the same as everyone else, in fact the horsepower will probably be matched when new models are released at the end of the month.
No, Polaris is not scared and no one else is either.

Honda has been a non contender forever in sxs sales with 3 strikes basically and they finally come up with a vehicle that the main stream public might want to buy and you guys get all huffed up like all the established manufacturers are going to run and hide LOL. Get real.

But Honda is in the game with a competitive contender which is great.

Actually the Polaris guys are mostly open minded and not brand loyal and the thread over there is overall very supportive of the 1000.

That's because Honda's reliability speaks for itself over the last 30+ years. The RZR forums are plagued with brand loyal idiots that toss tons of insults daily. Polaris is made in Mexico - pure garbage made with cheap parts and cheap Chinese steel, they have huge reliability issues and are not anywhere close to Honda's build quality. People have bought Polaris RZR's and Rangers because they were the only show in town for a few years. That is all changing now that Honda and Yamaha are back in the game.

hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
LOL, look who is tossing the insults here. Ever look in the mirror?

Honda's are generally more reliable. Polaris is reliable enough. Polaris builds what the public wants to buy. Honda, up until now, has built what Honda thinks we need. You don't have to be the best to win, the general public doesn't really care as long as it is good enough.

You act as if you take a loyalty oath when you sign on the dotted line. Well, maybe when you buy a Honda? Not so with any of the others.

Honda has been in the game since 2009 when they introduced the Big Red and then the Pioneers to replace it and still people don't want them. That is one year after Polaris introduced the RZR.

Good luck with that taking over the industry dream.

Last edited:
Reactions: catman
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
LOL, look who is tossing the insults here. Ever look in the mirror?

Honda's are generally more reliable. Polaris is reliable enough. Polaris builds what the public wants to buy. Honda, up until now, has built what Honda thinks we need. You don't have to be the best to win, the general public doesn't really care as long as it is good enough.

You act as if you take a loyalty oath when you sign on the dotted line. Well, maybe when you buy a Honda? Not so with any of the others.

Honda has been in the game since 2009 when they introduced the Big Red and then the Pioneers to replace it and still people don't want them. That is one year after Polaris introduced the RZR.

Good luck with that taking over the industry dream.

Your Polaris trolling attempts are thinly veiled... How about you let people spend their money on what they want and you buy whatever it is you want. Fact of the matter is different people have different wants/needs and they buy the machine that fits those. The current Pioneers seem to be selling great around here, and they don't even have to discount them from MSRP to move them. I suspect the 1000s will sell for MSRP as well, or slightly above based on the perceived demand.

hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
I don't care what people buy.
I am not trolling for Polaris. But fact is that Polaris is number 1 for a reason and it certainly isn't because they are the best.
I, along with the large majority of Americans, buy what suits my needs the best. Just so happens that P fits that bill at the present time.
The only reason I am on this board is because of the upcoming release of the Pioneer 1000. Up until now I have had absolutely no reason to be interested in a Honda sxs. And the reason to be here certainly isn't because of the friendly nature of the forum members. Even if I buy a Honda I will still hang out with my Polaris and Yamaha buds.
Polaris is still # 1 for a reason. Maybe Honda will get it right THIS time. Truth hurts sometimes.

hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
I personally think 77 horsepower will provide great performance in this type vehicle, sporty performance even in our eastern woods trails.
JMHO

Reactions: Hondasxs
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't care what people buy.
I am not trolling for Polaris. But fact is that Polaris is number 1 for a reason and it certainly isn't because they are the best.
I, along with the large majority of Americans, buy what suits my needs the best. Just so happens that P fits that bill at the present time.
The only reason I am on this board is because of the upcoming release of the Pioneer 1000. Up until now I have had absolutely no reason to be interested in a Honda sxs. And the reason to be here certainly isn't because of the friendly nature of the forum members. Even if I buy a Honda I will still hang out with my Polaris and Yamaha buds.
Polaris is still # 1 for a reason. Maybe Honda will get it right THIS time. Truth hurts sometimes.

I think you will be sorely disappointed when you ride/buy the Pioneer 1000 and it is not a belt drive sport model.
I don't think it is going to be what YOU are looking for or trying to sell everyone else on.

Its exactly what I and QUITE a few others have been asking for, better travel, more room to stuff larger tires, TWICE the power of the 700(more than any polaris except the 1000 SPORT), improved trans, factory flares, factory intelligent ESP, tilt wheel, turf mode, LED lights, more seating capacity and it will also have the legendary Honda RELIABILITY. RELIABILITY is why people are brand loyal, had a few Hondas long ago then I went through every brand I could get my hands on because they had the latest widget. I worked on them all the time, now I work all the time and if I have to spend my time working on something then I don't get to ride it. I learned, Hondas/Acuras don't require repairs on a regular basis, which means I get to ride/drive them. That EARNED my brand loyalty.

Polaris draws people in with widgets and sparkles, like children in a candy aisle. Just like children if you let them gorge themselves for a few mins they are happy but then you regret it later when they are puking their guts out(like a polaris on a trail).

hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
I think you will be sorely disappointed when you ride/buy the Pioneer 1000 and it is not a belt drive sport model.
I don't think it is going to be what YOU are looking for or trying to sell everyone else on.
I am not trying to sell anyone on anything. I don't have or want a sport model. What I want is a sport/utility, something with a good riding good handling suspension, comfortable seats with good lateral support (had to put buckets in my present one) with a dump bed and tailgate, a smooth quiet engine with adequate power, not too much heat in the cab, turf mode, tilt wheel, etc, with somewhere around a an 80/82" wheelbase and 60/62" width and at least 11" of ground clearance. A transmission that shifts would be different but I seem to get along with them in cars so I could probably adapt. Good suspension and turf mode are at the top of the list.

Oh, I have been around a lot of Polaris vehicles and owned several myself and I have never seen one puke out on the trail or anywhere else. That is one reason people keep on buying them. Truth is that Polaris are not as bad as you claim and Honda is not as good as you claim. I see very few children owners as you condecendling claim like a religious zealot. I, and most of the people I ride with are probably old enough to be your daddy, or maybe even your grand daddy. We tolerate people like you because you remind us of our own children when they were young and dumb and full of it.

Last edited:
C

catman

Mar 4, 2013
I find it funny that in the honda demo ride thread there is a ranger xp 900 there for comparison, that tells me even honda knows what machine they are trying to outdo,and for someone to say they are pure garbage made out of chinese steel well i wonder how many xp900s he's ever owned or rode in with a full cab polaris heater polaris stereo in the dead of winter and actualy enjoyed the ride, talk about RADICIAL staments common guys lets get a grip here, and i don't think HONDAROCK is trolling anything here he is just stating his opinions that i just so happen to agree with!!!

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
That or they had it there so they could show the differences between a plastic powerwheels and a vehicle that's actually worth the price of a used truck.

advertisement
C

catman

Mar 4, 2013
That statement really shows your wealth of knowledge and maturity to me sir!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I find it funny that in the honda demo ride thread there is a ranger xp 900 there for comparison, that tells me even honda knows what machine they are trying to outdo...
EXACTLY from the same category ...

@catman, I'm pretty sure that is the machine Honda took aim at, look at the specs and ratings of both machines.
Had to be an abundance of confidence that it was going to excel against it to bring it to a demo/comparison ride.

Which brings us back to the factory 77hp, that is 9more factory HP and I would wager more low end torque because the DCT doesn't require the high rpm to work as designed. Its also 124 extra CCs so I'm sure the turbo guys and motor guys can get some extra juice out of them. @spifyd was generous enough to do the calcs based of what he did on the 700, which I still get a grin on my face remembering the drive.

Honda is conservative, they are conservative because it helps with reliability. You can build a strong reliable motor or you can build a light high output motor, the lighter motor while it may have more power and power to weight, doesn't have the reliability. Honda has build their name on cost effective, reliable and for good solid all around use. The 1000 is actually like you @catman said, more inline with what I wanted but never expected out of them.

Full cab, heater, and stereo ARE nice had it all on my 700-4.

Google search of "Trolling Definition"

trolling
Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks.....because it's the internet and, hey, you can.

For example see my comment to HondaRock about a childish mindset when purchasing a polaris because they are bright and shiny.
I wanted to make a point by inciting him to respond and he did.
Trolling is only good at causing caustic responses, as demonstrated.
Its non-productive, its not discussion its a pointed biased opinion and causes pointed biased responses.

Making broad statements also demonstrates that you are comparing plums to pineapples.
"No one wants it" obviously people do because they are going for MSRP or above, and there are entire forums created for the discussion by the owners and future owners of them. Someone wants them....

SOME people don't want them because they can't put 32" mud tires on them or because they actually want a Honda Sport model...
In that example the Honda is NOT what they need, buy what you need, what fits your riding style, if that is a Polaris great, Arctic Cat great, but buy what fits YOUR needs. You can't buy a Jeep Wrangler and be upset at Jeep when what you wanted was a Chevy Corvette. You can lament that Jeep doesn't make a Corvette competitor and hope they do soon.

Just because it doesn't fit YOUR needs doesn't mean it won't fit a large majority of other people. Remember, Honda is not custom building SXSs they are selling to a large group of buyers. Not just you.

Last edited:
hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
SOME people don't want them because they can't put 32" mud tires on them or because they actually want a Honda Sport model...
In that example the Honda is NOT what they need, buy what you need, what fits your riding style, if that is a Polaris great, Arctic Cat great, but buy what fits YOUR needs. You can't buy a Jeep Wrangler and be upset at Jeep when what you wanted was a Chevy Corvette. You can lament that Jeep doesn't make a Corvette competitor and hope they do soon.

Just because it doesn't fit YOUR needs doesn't mean it won't fit a large majority of other people. Remember, Honda is not custom building SXSs they are selling to a large group of buyers. Not just you.
Yes, this is true. All manufacturers want to sell to the largest group possible. More money to be made, and since Honda is specifically targeting Polaris Ranger that means it will probably have the features and performance a lot of people want (including me) with some improvements thrown in. Like I said before I want a sport/utility type with all the bells and whistles that are standard on the Ranger but with improved suspension and hopefully comfortable seats that have enough side support to not slide around on sidehills and downhills. Improved reliability and quality is always a plus.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like the seat is going to be very similar to the 700, I don't think 3 buckets would fit across the front. I used the seatbelt and stayed put in my 700.

Think you're going to have to add shocks, from the pics I don't think the active rear suspension looks made by Fox, or the front.

hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
Looks like the seat is going to be very similar to the 700, I don't think 3 buckets would fit across the front. I used the seatbelt and stayed put in my 700.

Think you're going to have to add shocks, from the pics I don't think the active rear suspension looks made by Fox, or the front.
I only want two seats and use the center for storage or console etc. Might need buckets.
Just have to wait for some user reports on the shocks.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I only want two seats and use the center for storage or console etc. Might need buckets.
Just have to wait for some user reports on the shocks.

I'd like to add buckets but... Wouldn't be as usable for what need so not getting added.

I'll let you know about the shocks as soon as I can get my hands on mine.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
EXACTLY from the same category ...

@catman, I'm pretty sure that is the machine Honda took aim at, look at the specs and ratings of both machines.
Had to be an abundance of confidence that it was going to excel against it to bring it to a demo/comparison ride.

Which brings us back to the factory 77hp, that is 9more factory HP and I would wager more low end torque because the DCT doesn't require the high rpm to work as designed. Its also 124 extra CCs so I'm sure the turbo guys and motor guys can get some extra juice out of them. @spifyd was generous enough to do the calcs based of what he did on the 700, which I still get a grin on my face remembering the drive.

Honda is conservative, they are conservative because it helps with reliability. You can build a strong reliable motor or you can build a light high output motor, the lighter motor while it may have more power and power to weight, doesn't have the reliability. Honda has build their name on cost effective, reliable and for good solid all around use. The 1000 is actually like you @catman said, more inline with what I wanted but never expected out of them.

Full cab, heater, and stereo ARE nice had it all on my 700-4.

Google search of "Trolling Definition"

trolling
Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks.....because it's the internet and, hey, you can.

For example see my comment to HondaRock about a childish mindset when purchasing a polaris because they are bright and shiny.
I wanted to make a point by inciting him to respond and he did.
Trolling is only good at causing caustic responses, as demonstrated.
Its non-productive, its not discussion its a pointed biased opinion and causes pointed biased responses.

Making broad statements also demonstrates that you are comparing plums to pineapples.
"No one wants it" obviously people do because they are going for MSRP or above, and there are entire forums created for the discussion by the owners and future owners of them. Someone wants them....

Reactions: bobbyhill
hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
One back to back test drive and you'll understand what I'm talking about.
Would I be able to tell the magical difference by driving a p700 since I am almost positive you haven't driven a p1000 yet? If so I will check one out tomorrow while I am drooling over the Yamaha's and Polaris'.

Ok.. r we done now?
Doesn't look like it. :)

Okay, seriously, I will try to drive one to see the difference.

advertisement