Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I'd like to add buckets but... Wouldn't be as usable for what need so not getting added.

I'll let you know about the shocks as soon as I can get my hands on mine.
Is there any company offering alternative seating options for any of the Pioneer models? I would think eventually PRP, Twisted Stich, or Moose Ind. would offer up some options.

C

catman

Mar 4, 2013
One back to back test drive and you'll understand what I'm talking about.
Tig are you saying you have had a test ride, and if you did you could have just said so, and if it is that much better feeling than the xp900 it must be one helluva machine, and i can't wait, why don't you enlighten us some more on the machine if you can!!!

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
Tig are you saying you have had a test ride, and if you did you could have just said so, and if it is that much better feeling than the xp900 it must be one helluva machine, and i can't wait, why don't you enlighten us some more on the machine if you can!!!

You think I'd be holding out if I had the scoop on the P1K?

I'm just excited it has 77hp.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
With over 60,000 miles on Side by sides and the owner of 3 Polaris models and 11 others I can tell Polaris quality is poor. My 2013 Ranger 900 worked great but it broke way too much and had several design problems. Warranty was turned down because I had too many miles on it in less then 6 months. I put over 20,000 miles on 2 Teryx models with no problems. All brands will lose sales to this Honda and Yamaha may do the same in the sport market. Pioneer complaints are mostly not enough HP. It looks like Honda decided to listen to their customers and the Sport model should be what customers want too. Next year will be very interesting.

Polaris did a great job giving their customers what they want and Polaris models get abused way more then other brands. The next 5 years will be interesting and I expect Polaris will improve. The new factory in Alabama will help a lot in build quality.

Everyone will be surprised with the performance of the Pioneer 1000. Its hard to beat belt drive performance but this Honda trans will at least match it. Yes its faster then the ranger 900 but the important part is no belt drive to deal with. The Ranger 900 is fairly good for about 2,000 miles but put 10,000 miles on one. Many owners only put on 500 to 1000 miles a year and some don't know it even has a belt drive. The 6 months warranty will have to match the 1 year Honda warranty and Kawasaki has a 3 year warranty.

Easy maintenance will be important too. Having to pay $350 to $700 for your first service annoys most owners and they don't know it when buying. Honda production will be much higher with this model and I expect it will be priced very closed to the Polaris Ranger 900.

A couple of my buddies bought the 2015 RZR 900. The air intakes were moved from the sides of the bed to under the bed. It went from a poor location to the worst location possible. The Honda 500 and 700 are on the sides but the air filter will at least go 1,000 miles.

W

WFM

Jun 20, 2015
Maine
Bob I'm guessing if had to read your resume it would read..'Drives atv's and utv's'.....you must live on it to put 10,k miles on one.

C

catman

Mar 4, 2013
With over 60,000 miles on Side by sides and the owner of 3 Polaris models and 11 others I can tell Polaris quality is poor. My 2013 Ranger 900 worked great but it broke way too much and had several design problems. Warranty was turned down because I had too many miles on it in less then 6 months. I put over 20,000 miles on 2 Teryx models with no problems. All brands will lose sales to this Honda and Yamaha may do the same in the sport market. Pioneer complaints are mostly not enough HP. It looks like Honda decided to listen to their customers and the Sport model should be what customers want too. Next year will be very interesting.

Polaris did a great job giving their customers what they want and Polaris models get abused way more then other brands. The next 5 years will be interesting and I expect Polaris will improve. The new factory in Alabama will help a lot in build quality.

Everyone will be surprised with the performance of the Pioneer 1000. Its hard to beat belt drive performance but this Honda trans will at least match it. Yes its faster then the ranger 900 but the important part is no belt drive to deal with. The Ranger 900 is fairly good for about 2,000 miles but put 10,000 miles on one. Many owners only put on 500 to 1000 miles a year and some don't know it even has a belt drive. The 6 months warranty will have to match the 1 year Honda warranty and Kawasaki has a 3 year warranty.

Easy maintenance will be important too. Having to pay $350 to $700 for your first service annoys most owners and they don't know it when buying. Honda production will be much higher with this model and I expect it will be priced very closed to the Polaris Ranger 900.

A couple of my buddies bought the 2015 RZR 900. The air intakes were moved from the sides of the bed to under the bed. It went from a poor location to the worst location possible. The Honda 500 and 700 are on the sides but the air filter will at least go 1,000 miles.
Funny thing is bob i've owned 6 utvs now 3 kawis 1 yamaha and 2 rangers and the ony ones i've ever had any trouble with were the kawis, that still doesn't make me think they are poor quality, and they will all have small things that some won't like about them, hopefully the new pk-1 is spot on!!!

C

catman

Mar 4, 2013
You think I'd be holding out if I had the scoop on the P1K?

I'm just excited it has 77hp.
Tig i was assssssssssssssuming you actualy drove one to make shuch a bold statement on it's superior performance!!!

V

Vital

Jun 14, 2015
Funny thing is bob i've owned 6 utvs now 3 kawis 1 yamaha and 2 rangers and the ony ones i've ever had any trouble with were the kawis, that still doesn't make me think they are poor quality, and they will all have small things that some won't like about them, hopefully the new pk-1 is spot on!!!
Well you must not have put any real miles on your Rangers then because I have not seen a RZR or Ranger stand up to Texas riding yet. I am not kidding when I tell you brand new RZR's can't make it out 3-4 times without breaking something. It's just ridiculous.

C

catman

Mar 4, 2013
Vital, no i don't put on the miles hondabob does, but i put on about 800miles a year riding trails, scouting for deer, plowing snow mostly on the 80acre farm. And i will tell you i don't beat the hell out of my machines either, but i'am not afraid to use it as intended, that is sad if you have seen that kind of failure rate with the polariss, i don't ride with allot of groups that much anymore but there are quie a few xp900s around here that seem to do prety good. One thing for shure that i don't deny or question the new pk-1 will definatly set a new bar for quality and performace in this segemt and will force all others to step up there game!!!

Reactions: Vital
advertisement
V

Vital

Jun 14, 2015
Vital, no i don't put on the miles hondabob does, but i put on about 800miles a year riding trails, scouting for deer, plowing snow mostly on the 80acre farm. And i will tell you i don't beat the hell out of my machines either, but i'am not afraid to use it as intended, that is sad if you have seen that kind of failure rate with the polariss, i don't ride with allot of groups that much anymore but there are quie a few xp900s around here that seem to do prety good. One thing for shure that i don't deny or question the new pk-1 will definatly set a new bar for quality and performace in this segemt and will force all others to step up there game!!!
Yes, I would not make something like that up. I sold my Rhino last summer and have been sitting on the fence waiting on Honda and Yamaha because I refuse to go through what all of my buddies have gone through since 2008 with Polaris. Polaris has been the only show in town though and a lot of people's attitudes are "you pay to play" so you take the good with the bad. After beating on my Rhino from 2006 to 2014 and never having any failure of any kind, I refuse to deal with such poor quality. My Rhino was bored/stroked from a 660 to a 780 as well and rode very hard, never broke a single thing. I watched my buddy abuse his Big Red and that thing just kept on going too. It was a turd but it was tough. He did break a front axle one time but with his 4 racing seats in it he was prolly tilting the scales at 1600+ lbs and hit a rut in a sharp turn. It happens. This new Pioneer looks very good to me, looking forward to driving one when they arrive.

Polaris will indeed have to make some serious changes and step up their game now that Honda and Yamaha are getting serious about the sxs market. Like Hondabob said, moving manufacturing to the USA will help a lot. I owned the first Honda Big Red which was a 1980's 3 wheeler 250, that thing was rode hard and put up wet but no matter what it always started right up and rode like a champ. Honda's reliability is legendary. I've seen the same out of their 300 EX quads and so on.

Reactions: SBuckJ
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
To old to wait and have over 2,000 miles on my 2016 Yamaha Wolverine. Its worth having it for 6 months or so until I can get a Pioneer 1000. No mods necessary just gas it up and drive it. The suspension is amazing and better then my 2011 RZR 900 at speeds under 35 mph. I fixed the air intake on my 08 Teryx and 3 of my buddies Teryx too. I run the air intake up under the roof on the pioneers.

The Pioneer 1000 should be good to go. Do I expect some improvements may be needed, yes I do. It may need a passenger grab handle and better seats especially for drivers with back problems. Suspension should be good enough for a utility machine. I expect the 2016 Sport Yamaha will have high end racing seats with a 5 point harness. If any of you guys have a racing background you really need to get a race pace ride in a RZR 900 or RZR 1000.

Fordman

Fordman

Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2013
Fayette Al
Ownership

1. 500
Y'all may have already answered, didn't see the thread , any word on TOP SPEED?!?

Fordman

Fordman

Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2013
Fayette Al
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks , I'm trying to get my uncle to buy one instead of another ranger Lol

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well with the 6 speed dual range DCT trans I think it will get the 9more hp than the ranger to the ground in grin inducing manner.

I think once he drives it he'll be sold.
I sold my 700-4 in hopes that that would be the case.

Fordman

Fordman

Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2013
Fayette Al
Ownership

1. 500
Lol I hope so ! He's got a 2013 ranger 900 w/full cab wipers an all , granted he's rough on it but this is his 3rd belt !

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
According to the polaris fanboys he must have 500-600k miles on it and gone through 3 engines to need 3 belts.

I do like the glass windscreen the ranger has that opens at the bottom, it's hot in the summer down here.

Fordman

Fordman

Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2013
Fayette Al
Ownership

1. 500
He has 1400 & some odd miles but he is rough on it ! Lots of swamp hunting

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Turns out it was 53.7 kW(72hp) and we had to wait 6 more years for it to be 57.3 kW(77hp)
And still there is only one place of this being listed thanks to Hondaprokevin.

2022 Honda Pioneer 1000 Performance Info
  • 2022 Honda Pioneer 1000 Horsepower: 76.8 HP (57.3 kW)
    • Previous generation: 72 HP (53.7 kW

advertisement