futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Recently bought the SSS Offroad skids and A-arm guards. Installed the skids, but not sure about the guards now that I see them. I ride Kentucky woods, dirt, rocks, mud, little sand and a little corn/soybean fields in deer season. Where do the veterans stand on this? Do they do as much harm as good due to trapping debris, or are they a valuable addition?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
They do trap mud, but haven’t had a problem of that affecting operation. Have all four for rocky trails. Spraying them out hasn’t been an issue for me.

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
Recently bought the SSS Offroad skids and A-arm guards. Installed the skids, but not sure about the guards now that I see them. I ride Kentucky woods, dirt, rocks, mud, little sand and a little corn/soybean fields in deer season. Where do the veterans stand on this? Do they do as much harm as good due to trapping debris, or are they a valuable addition?
I bought the sss a-arm guards with the sss skid plates and I’ve already bounced them off rocks so I say there a good thing and as far as trapping mud they do but a pressure washer makes quick work of that problem

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I had them, sold them even when I had the stock A Arms, they packed with mud and rubbed the boots, but that's on a P1, don't know how they would be on a P5?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
At issue is running over sticks and have them flip up and get caught between the A arms tearing the boots. Least that’s what has happened to me. Stick stoppers prevent that, on mine as I made them from UMHW I drilled holes in the bottom to drain the keerap out. So occasionally throughout the season I’ll hit them with the hose or intentionally Ford a deep stream. Only ever torn two boots so far, one from poking the front ent into stick, rear flipped up stick. Nothing since installing stopper. Mind you I also pay attention now too.
I say install them.
j

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I thought about drilling holes as well. Appreciate everyone's input.

Reactions: Isaiah and J80
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Probably not a lot of snow in Kentucky? Up North here in freezing weather (mud and Keerap) and/or winter snow will pack in around the axles boots with stoppers on. Typically when I park it I’ll clean all the snow and keerap out so it doesn’t freeze to the boots. Can be a bit of a hassle but just part of the game, mine never gets parked inside.
When I drilled holes in mine think I used a 3/4” hole saw and only places holes at the wheel end as that’s the lowest point, for the keerap to drain to. Never have had anything poke up into the holes either....
Cheers,
j

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Appreciate the input, J. Not too much snow here, correct. I'm thinking a couple of smaller holes drilled. I rinse after a messy ride, but if it's late it may get done the next day, honestly. Currently able to keep it in neighbor garage at my little lake place (not heated).

Reactions: JCart
M

MidTN

Apr 12, 2020
Middle Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
They are a must for me. I have wooded trails with lots of sticks and branches. I have the Aluminum products model which calls for removing the factory plastic boot guards due to rubbing at full steering extension. Well, much to my pleasant surprise this is not an issue on mine I'm assuming thanks to my 5+2 offset rims. So I get to have my cake and eat it too. I still get nervous a stick is going to get one of my boots if I haven't cleared the trail in awhile though.

As far as collecting debris, yes they do but I keep a leaf blower handy to blow the crap out. I mostly use the blower for my tractor to blow it off after bush hogging. A lot of people wonder why their tractor runs hot in the summer but they don't think to check the front grill for grass and debris from mowing. It seems I use my leaf blower for just about everything but leaves :)

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!