P1000 Sagging top & a new Tire Carrier Rack

O

ob1jeeper

Dec 20, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I purchased this P1K-5, it had a roof mounted light bar of aprox 30-36 inches long. While I am not a huge fan of these large lights, it is what it is... Anyway, the weight of the light, coupled by softening of the top material in the heat/sunload, was causing the front edge of the roof to sag, and interfere with the folding windshield, making folding it a PITA. To fix this, I fabbed up a small tube to place beneath the leading edge of the top, just below where the light is mounted, which is in turn attached to the ROPS, just outboard of the gusset in the "A"-pillar-to-upper horizonatal ROPS bar.

IMG 8623

Another top sag issue was in the center of the top. The issue was that everytime I washed the vehicle, then tried to move it, I was getting a bath from the pooled water in the center of the top... Grrr... So I fabbed another top anti-sag support, mounted to the central lateral ROPS bar just behind the front seat. The white strip you see, is an LED strip light, to provide interior illumination for night use... ;)

IMG 8622

There are obvious paint/powdercoat damage marks where at one time this vehicle has some sort of rack installed to the rear ROPS. When I bought it, there was a Dragonfire aluminum spare tire bracket hanging from the rear upper ROPS bar, mounting the spare tire/wheel. I was no huge fan of this spare location, so began to look at other ways to mount it, when I ran across some designs others have utilized, and which I liked. I selected some features from a few different racks I had seen, which I felt would best match my fabrication abilities and be simplest for me to build. I decided to mount the tire, and a small rack for a cooler aft of the bed, on a rack system which could be swung out from either side, to allow for cleaning and/or dumping of the bed.

This is what I ended up building...

IMG 8050
IMG 8048

IMG 8614

IMG 8615

IMG 8616

Last edited:
D

DDDonkey

Nice job, what size tube and wall thickness did you use, I have been thinking of doing something like this my self.

Reactions: Isaiah

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!