Talon A few noises that have my attention

D

diel193

Oct 8, 2018
mayfield ky
Ownership

1. 500
I have 75 miles on my talon 1000r and have a few noises that im concerned about.
1st and most important is the clunk or pop caused by applying too much throttle after going into reverse. Even if u let is set for 3-4 seconds if you apply gas too fast it pops hard

2nd is a pop from what sounds like the top rear driver side shock mount when hitting square edged rain ruts across tails when at moderate speeds. Could also be in the door hinge, but its hard too tell. Just a single pop occasionaly.

3rd and last is the passenger door. I have adjusted the rubber stop trying to stop it but no luck yet, i will remove the door panel next to try to adjust the latch itself

Reactions: Plumber32
RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 75 miles on my talon 1000r and have a few noises that im concerned about.
1st and most important is the clunk or pop caused by applying too much throttle after going into reverse. Even if u let is set for 3-4 seconds if you apply gas too fast it pops hard

2nd is a pop from what sounds like the top rear driver side shock mount when hitting square edged rain ruts across tails when at moderate speeds. Could also be in the door hinge, but its hard too tell. Just a single pop occasionaly.

3rd and last is the passenger door. I have adjusted the rubber stop trying to stop it but no luck yet, i will remove the door panel next to try to adjust the latch itself
Ill have to check and see what bushing they use on the doors not sure about the clunk that should not happen

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
When new I think I had the 1st clunk complaint in reverse on my Talon and Pioneer 1000. After a couple hundred miles I couldn't reproduce it. I did also have the engine rev up in reverse and it didn't engage the clutch but again only when new a few times. My Pioneer did it too. I just shifted into neutral and back to reverse and that fixed it. The 2nd clunk is the tender spring rings hitting the cross over into the large spring.

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
My R does not always show the R on the panel immediately. I don't hit the gas until I see it one the panel never tried it maybe it would clunk. I moved the shifter a little until it shows, Seems to only happen when cold.
I hate the shift solenoid click when transmission shifts every time. Nothing can be done about it. They use a dual clutch trans in the Gold Wing can't imagine their owners accepting this as normal.

Doc-TEAMWAX

Doc-TEAMWAX

Nov 27, 2018
Wax, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R

Check the rear dif oil.

RockR

RockR

Hammer Down Trail Hound
Lifetime Member
Apr 15, 2019
SE Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

I have the TalonX and same noise has come from my rear when putting it in reverse. I have a Jeep with Detroit Locker in rear end and it makes almost that same sound when it "unloads" after a couple of turns in same direction. I just assumed it was rear traction control unbinding. Gonna follow this thread to see if someone else has "absolute" answer.

I

iloehr99

Feb 27, 2016
Southern Indiana
Have you found out anything more on the clunking in reverse?

Mine would pop after being put in reverse every so often. It has gotten worse. I am now at about 530 miles and it doesn't want to even shift into reverse sometimes now. I have adjusted the shift lever twice and it hasn't helped. It will sit there and ratchet when I put it in reverse. It sounds like its trying to slide into gear but won't unless I give it a lil gas and then it clunks in. Sometimes after it goes in it will pop it back out. I want to take it to the dealer to get it checked out but I've got a few more riding trips planned. I am going to wait until this winter to take it in. It shifts into high and low just fine, only reverse is having issues. I'm gonna try adjusting it again but am not confident it's gonna help.

H

HondaTech

Before.you remove the door panel, try removing the panel behind it, the door bolts on there and has alot of movement. I've seen a couple Talons with the rear door edge rubbing the paint off the other panel and adjusting that mounting point fixed it.

My GM has also heard a noise, sort of like a popping CV joint a times. We cant find anything when its on the ground, but lifting the wheels off the ground it seems to be the upper inner radius rod mount has some play.

R

Rcm936

Mar 12, 2019
Usa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
2nd issue sounds like your shock has lost its nitrogen. It's a common issue with the fox shocks. I had 2.0 fox shocks on a rzr that did this. Sounds like someone tapping the frame with a hammer. I replaced the needle fill cap with a Schrader style cap. The rubber pellet in the needle doesnt hold very well. I already have a set for the talon waiting to be installed.
3rd I had the same issue. Adjusted the rubber stopper all the way out and would still rattle. I adjusted the latch. Just back off the two bolts (10 or 12mm I cant remember) and slightly bump it up. It fixed my rattle in both doors.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!