P500 A few questions if you don't mind

M0oseMeat

M0oseMeat

Mar 17, 2017
Alberta
Ownership

1. 500
Well I bought a brand new P500 last week. Have about 9 hrs on it so far and 87 miles I was reading the owners manual and it says to get first service at 100 miles...recommended or could I let that slide abit? Also has anyone tried using a better quality of gas? Does it preform better at all? Also one more thing I realize that I top out at 41mph once it hits 42+ say going downhill i get an engine brake which pulls me back should i just get use to that?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Well I bought a brand new P500 last week. Have about 9 hrs on it so far and 87 miles I was reading the owners manual and it says to get first service at 100 miles...recommended or could I let that slide abit? Also has anyone tried using a better quality of gas? Does it preform better at all? Also one more thing I realize that I top out at 41mph once it hits 42+ say going downhill i get an engine brake which pulls me back should i just get use to that?

I wouldn't skip that first service, that's the end of the break in period. It'll sound and shift better after first service.
I read up on different fuels a while back and came to the conclusion that it all depends on what the engine was designed to run. Don't think higher octane will make any difference.
The speed limiter kicks in between 42 and 43. Yeah, if you're hitting that speed frequently, get used to it.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome! I just change the oil at 100 miles then wait till 600 miles to get the valves checked. I just use reg. gas. One thing that shocked me about the p5 is how dirty the air filter gets. 600 miles and it's really bad. Quads can go about 2,000 miles the way I ride. If you love to ride in deep water and mud I would move up the schedule a lot.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
The p5 is designed to run a regular gas , higher octane would be a waste of money . I did my 100 mile service and think it's a good idea .
41 is all she wrote . Drive 35 stay alive .....lol

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Here is my thoughts... Applies to both the 500 and 700.
Both motors are sluggers. They are tested and true and will last forever. Pushing it past 100 miles want be a problem, as you said its "recommended". But I wouldn't push it much past 150. Anyways, its a fairly easy job to do even back at camp on a weekend trip or something.
Here is the oil change guide if you need - Honda Pioneer 500 Oil Change Guide
Just a quick FYI. Dont overtighten the oil filter cover bolts. Don't use a torque wrench, just give a good-n-snug feel.
I also would say dont worry about the valves, unless you hear a tick or something.

Now for the 1000 owners reading this... Stick to the plan. Change it as recommended.
Thanks.

M0oseMeat

M0oseMeat

Mar 17, 2017
Alberta
Ownership

1. 500
will it void the honda warranty if I did it myself? And i love this forum All of you are so helpful and friendly thank you!

Reactions: trigger
Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I changed mine myself around the 100 mile mark. The dealer told me to write down in the owners manual when I serviced it and I wouldn't have any issues with the warranty. I used the diy oil change guide from this website, and had no problems whatsoever.

I didn't check the valves. Motor sounds fine, and my previous Honda Rancher went about 3000 miles without ever checking them before I sold it.

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Did my own service but bought Honda oil for record of receipt. Check out ATVTV.com video on YouTube for first maintenance tips and oils. Used Synthetic in diff. For DIY, An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
Did my own service but bought Honda oil for record of receipt. Check out ATVTV.com video on YouTube for first maintenance tips and oils. Used Synthetic in diff. For DIY, An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work.
The magnuson moss act also prevents them from voiding a warranty for not using a certain filter or fluid and if a manufacturer required you to use their filters or fluids they are actually required to supply the parts free of charge.

Reactions: Jshell3
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
The magnuson moss act also prevents them from voiding a warranty for not using a certain filter or fluid and if a manufacturer required you to use their filters or fluids they are actually required to supply the parts free of charge.
And to be more clear they can specify the fluid and filter specification but not any brand. Its up to you or the parts supplier to be sure they meet the manufacturers specifications.

advertisement
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Here is my thoughts... Applies to both the 500 and 700.
Both motors are sluggers. They are tested and true and will last forever. Pushing it past 100 miles want be a problem, as you said its "recommended". But I wouldn't push it much past 150. Anyways, its a fairly easy job to do even back at camp on a weekend trip or something.
Here is the oil change guide if you need - Honda Pioneer 500 Oil Change Guide
Just a quick FYI. Dont overtighten the oil filter cover bolts. Don't use a torque wrench, just give a good-n-snug feel.
I also would say dont worry about the valves, unless you hear a tick or something.

Now for the 1000 owners reading this... Stick to the plan. Change it as recommended.
Thanks.
If you change the oil filter, be attentive to the small O ring, it's easy to get lost.

J

Jshell3

Yeah... go ahead and grab one while you're getting the oil and filter. You'll need it, eventually. Trust me.

Reactions: M0oseMeat
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
And if you are new to the P500, a pack or two of the plastic body pins is good to have, as they sometimes pop out of the floorboards (or maybe that is just unlucky me).

Reactions: M0oseMeat

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!