Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
So you’re looking for a quiet vehicle using a P500??

IMG 4342

C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
Some of these approaches are definitely off the wall but interesting nonetheless. I can't remember anyone going this far to mitigate noise. Are you doing this mainly for the riders or noise to the public or both? These things are way louder than a golf cart if just tooling around the neighborhood or campground but that mostly comes from the exhaust. A Silent Rider or something custom is about all you can do for that.
A lot of the rear drive train noise, clunky shifting and chatter, will subside with miles and use. If really trying to seal out the noise in the cab I'd look into a full hard cab enclosure and insulate the hell out of it. Have you insulated the vertical plastics behind your calves at all?
I have the exhaust handled, I added a large diameter resonator as shown in earlier photo. Not only is it much quieter, but the tone is much mellower too, very nice in fact, completely eliminates any pop or raspiness. With that large diameter core open at both ends I don't believe it adds any backpressure although the flex pipe connection probably adds a bit.

This is strictly for rider & driver comfort, the "drive by" noise is not all that bad, very similar to some of the gas powered golf carts around here that are "ungoverned" for higher top speed.

I have added sound deadener to most all panels at this point. If I can greatly reduce the rear gear noise that will be all I need or want at this point. As mentioned it is the super annoying noise the rear gears make not actual dB. I have even tried 90-250 gear oil and did not seem to help so now using 90-140 again. Honda is straight 80 gear oil I think.

Next step if this does not work would be getting a spare rear "differential" and pulling the gears out to have them micropolished. Sometimes that helps with gear whine. Also experiment with different backlash settings on a bench test. When I changed the gearing in one of my trucks I got the rear setup perfect the first time around, but I had to redo the front three times to get both a good pattern and no noise (added an eLocker on the 3rd go-round just for added incentive). I do get that there is only so much you can do with straight cut gears.

Last edited:
C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
Seriously and being realistic, what are your thoughts on the Roxor SxS.
View attachment 403212

For me would not fit easily in the back of my K2500. For a rig requiring a trailer, or as a local alternate to the P520, Personally rather go back to 1940's early 50's genuine Jeep, and yes our old Jeep had lots of gear noise in low!

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It circulates air between the diff and the sound deadener on the outer enclosure, not over the outside of the sound deadener. I just had it wrapped in the earlier photo to see if the basic concept worked.

edit: photo below might explain that better

View attachment 403143
In solving the problem at hand, I'd say its a sound idea....☺

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
And to think all the grief I catch over a piece of carpet under my buggy
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
For me would not fit easily in the back of my K2500. For a rig requiring a trailer, or as a local alternate to the P520, Personally rather go back to 1940's early 50's genuine Jeep, and yes our old Jeep had lots of gear noise in low!
There's always gonna be nay sayers

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had a IH Scout ll back in the day. It had a gear drive transfer case and I still miss the sound it made when in low range. And the sound of that 345 v8. 🤗

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!