P500 Noise reduction, a few so far...

C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
Installed the underseat shield and there are several threads on that with photos and installation suggestions.

Installed a 3" inlet/outlet straight through Borla resonator connected by flex exhaust from Summit Racing. Really improved the sound quality and no more popping on deceleration. Much quieter as well as better sound. See photo.

Installing sound deadener on various panels (still in process).

Since for now we are only on two track hardpack and pavement I removed the 3 skid plates under the frame. This actually made a big difference to the in cab noise as the plates were trapping and reflecting lots of drivetrain noise. Obviously this is not acceptable for rocky terrain.

At this point we have gone from not being able to communicate at 30 mph without yelling to being able to communicate without yelling.

Sound level is not really an issue now, more like rear differential noise is annoying on and off throttle, so will look at that next maybe wrapping in a "tunnel" with sound deadener that still allows for airflow.
Sound deadener
Resonator

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If you're into some somewhat invasive engine surgery, look into the P5 gear mod, essentially it gears up the final drive coming out of the engine, brings down the revs across all gears so it's not screaming so much.

C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
If you're into some somewhat invasive engine surgery, look into the P5 gear mod, essentially it gears up the final drive coming out of the engine, brings down the revs across all gears so it's not screaming so much.

Thanks, I saw that and have the gearset and washer/spacers sitting on the shelf right now as a matter of fact. Great info.

C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
So the drivetrain gear noise, specifically the rear drive gearset with the straight cut ring and pinion, was so annoying that I was ready to sell my P520. As a last ditch experiment, I used some thick sound deadener and then overlaid that with thinner adhesive backed sound deadener as well as duct tape to hold it in place and wrapped the housing.

Honestly I expected this to have little to no effect, but surprisingly it was extremely effective in dampening out the whine and annoying "ringing" noise when going on and off throttle. Very smooth all the way up to 40 mph.

Now I am going to fabricate a sheet aluminum housing with sound deadener bonded to both sides or at least the inside, and configure it so that I can duct air through to keep it cooled. I may try without a blower to see just how hot it gets without forced air, but still vent it.

Will update when I get something that works.

This was my quick test conglomeration.....

IMG 9295

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520

I really, really want to perform this mod. I'm just not brave enough yet...

Mike

Buckaroo41

Buckaroo41

Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2022
South of Heaven West of Hell
Ownership

1. 520
So the drivetrain gear noise, specifically the rear drive gearset with the straight cut ring and pinion, was so annoying that I was ready to sell my P520. As a last ditch experiment, I used some thick sound deadener and then overlaid that with thinner adhesive backed sound deadener as well as duct tape to hold it in place and wrapped the housing.

Honestly I expected this to have little to no effect, but surprisingly it was extremely effective in dampening out the whine and annoying "ringing" noise when going on and off throttle. Very smooth all the way up to 40 mph.

Now I am going to fabricate a sheet aluminum housing with sound deadener bonded to both sides or at least the inside, and configure it so that I can duct air through to keep it cooled. I may try without a blower to see just how hot it gets without forced air, but still vent it.

Will update when I get something that works.

This was my quick test conglomeration.....

View attachment 402725

Installed the underseat shield and there are several threads on that with photos and installation suggestions.

Installed a 3" inlet/outlet straight through Borla resonator connected by flex exhaust from Summit Racing. Really improved the sound quality and no more popping on deceleration. Much quieter as well as better sound. See photo.

Installing sound deadener on various panels (still in process).

Since for now we are only on two track hardpack and pavement I removed the 3 skid plates under the frame. This actually made a big difference to the in cab noise as the plates were trapping and reflecting lots of drivetrain noise. Obviously this is not acceptable for rocky terrain.

At this point we have gone from not being able to communicate at 30 mph without yelling to being able to communicate without yelling.

Sound level is not really an issue now, more like rear differential noise is annoying on and off throttle, so will look at that next maybe wrapping in a "tunnel" with sound deadener that still allows for airflow.View attachment 396245View attachment 396246
The Honda floor mat helps somewhat with noise reduction.

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Curious on a follow up after an off road or muddy ride, but as clean as it is and with those street tires, is your intent for street use only? If that’s the case, did you consider an electric golf cart?

C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
And what exactly is the purpose of the fan? I’m confused here.
Well with it wrapped in sound deadener, there is no way for the heat to get out so the fan blows air over the "differential" through a baffled inlet and outlet. Otherwise the differential would eventually overheat. Does not really matter which way it blows although it might be more efficient one way or the other.

C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
Curious on a follow up after an off road or muddy ride, but as clean as it is and with those street tires, is your intent for street use only? If that’s the case, did you consider an electric golf cart?
Yep and never found a golf cart I liked or went fast enough. Don't know about your area, but we see lots of sxs and quads used on the street in South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, and becoming more common here in Texas (DMV rule changes allowing it are fairly recent) and probably other places too.

This mod is easy enough to remove for offroad use (literally a minute to unbolt and lift off). Wheels and tires take much longer of course.

As others have said there are many folks (especially hunters) that hate how noisy most sxs are. I get that many others don't care.

Just having fun looking at what might work to make it quieter, not looking for other vehicle options thanks anyway. Cheers

Last edited:
GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well with it wrapped in sound deadener, there is no way for the heat to get out so the fan blows air over the "differential" through a baffled inlet and outlet. Otherwise the differential would eventually overheat. Does not really matter which way it blows although it might be more efficient one way or the other.
Gonna go out on a limb and say it’s probably not going to help. It’s like a fan blowing on you when you are covered by a blanket. It won’t make a difference.

C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
Gonna go out on a limb and say it’s probably not going to help. It’s like a fan blowing on you when you are covered by a blanket. It won’t make a difference.
It circulates air between the diff and the sound deadener on the outer enclosure, not over the outside of the sound deadener. I just had it wrapped in the earlier photo to see if the basic concept worked.

edit: photo below might explain that better

Diff plenum

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Just having fun looking at what might work to make it quieter
Some of these approaches are definitely off the wall but interesting nonetheless. I can't remember anyone going this far to mitigate noise. Are you doing this mainly for the riders or noise to the public or both? These things are way louder than a golf cart if just tooling around the neighborhood or campground but that mostly comes from the exhaust. A Silent Rider or something custom is about all you can do for that.
A lot of the rear drive train noise, clunky shifting and chatter, will subside with miles and use. If really trying to seal out the noise in the cab I'd look into a full hard cab enclosure and insulate the hell out of it. Have you insulated the vertical plastics behind your calves at all?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Some Redline shock proof oil might help quiet down the diff as well, Heavy ShockProof® this is what I used in my P5 and the front diff of the Talon. The noise problem lies in the design, the diff gears are straight cut and not machined/ground post heat treat, they will get quieter with wear but it takes some miles....as in a few thousand.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Some of these approaches are definitely off the wall but interesting nonetheless. I can't remember anyone going this far to mitigate noise. Are you doing this mainly for the riders or noise to the public or both? These things are way louder than a golf cart if just tooling around the neighborhood or campground but that mostly comes from the exhaust. A Silent Rider or something custom is about all you can do for that.
A lot of the rear drive train noise, clunky shifting and chatter, will subside with miles and use. If really trying to seal out the noise in the cab I'd look into a full hard cab enclosure and insulate the hell out of it. Have you insulated the vertical plastics behind your calves at all?
Party Pooper!!!!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!