P500 Noise going slow down hill

C

Chuckie3

Sep 17, 2018
New Fairfield ct
Ownership

1. 500
P-5 started making noise going slowly down hill when using the brakes,but it’s not a brake sounds like gear noise.shifts fine otherwise no problem any ideas.

Reactions: Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Axel or u have crap (mud) in the drivetrain.

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
What's the noise sounding like?

C

Chuckie3

Sep 17, 2018
New Fairfield ct
Ownership

1. 500
Sounds like gears grinding but shifts fine runs great except for slow down hill on brakes.when I go down hill slow with out brake it’s fine 🤷‍♂️

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
What year, how many miles, muddy or sandy riding environment? Maybe time to inspect the brake pads.

Reactions: Remington
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I agree with checking your break pads. I had tiny rock get caught in my rear breaks that was making noise when breaking. It didn't come out till I changed the pads. After that it went away.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
mine does that from time to time going down really steep hills when using the brakes. I replaced rear pads and put synthetic gear oil in front and back still will occasionally do it on really steep hills. I just quit worrying about it as nothing seems to be wrong with the machine. I think it is just the design of the brake on the rear drive shaft vs on each rear wheel causing the noise. Only on really steep downhill decents.

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Sounds like gears grinding but shifts fine runs great except for slow down hill on brakes.when I go down hill slow with out brake it’s fine 🤷‍♂️
I've "heard" noises that may be similar to what you're saying. Can't remember if it was going down hill or not. I haven't been out west since January. But I do remember I kept riding and Pockets kept rolling on. Hopefully just a rock in the brake pads.

happyfred

happyfred

Mar 20, 2019
NY
Ownership

1. 500
P-5 started making noise going slowly down hill when using the brakes,but it’s not a brake sounds like gear noise.shifts fine otherwise no problem any ideas.
Mine has done the same. Usually after it has been sitting undriven for a while.
Seems to go away with use.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!